SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194714 - 11/28/03 11:27 AM Bad boss
zuki Offline

Has anyone had to endure a hard-nose boss? Life is too short to hassle with that. How many of you have finally got mad enough to do your own thing as I am thinking about and were the results of effort worth it?
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#194715 - 11/28/03 12:06 PM Re: Bad boss
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Zuki,

Everyone on the planet has dealt with a boss they didn't like at one time or another--it's a part of life. The rule of thumb is not to burn any bridges. Before considering to tell him or her to "Take this job and shove it" I would strongly suggest you have something lined up to keep the money flowing in your direction--especially if you have a family to support.

Over the past half century, I've been fortunate and only had to deal with a couple of butt-heads that only had one goal in life, which was to make my life misserable. When I decided to walk away, however, I did so in a manner that made it seem to be in my best interest, even when it wasn't the case. The main thing I always did was to submit a resignation saying that it was a pleasure to work with that person (even though he was a butt-heat), I regretted have to leave, but the place where I was headed would provide me with lots more opportunities for advancement.

Jumping ship is not the way to go unless you're independently wealthy. Keep in mind that when you work for yourself, which I have done for nearly 35 years, means: no employee funded health insurance plan, no bonus, no raises, long hours, low hourly wages, no vacations, lots of expenses and no sick leave. No one gives a damned if you just had a heart transplant or major portions of your anatomy removed, especially if it conflicts with their Christmas party, wedding reception, dance, etc.. Even if you have to arrive on a stretcher, you must continue to work. Even the mail carriers have it better--they only have to contend with bad weather. If they get sick, they're covered by someone else--you're not. Miss one week of a regular nite-club gig and you're instantly unemployed.

Think seriously about this before making a decission. Those of us who have been self employed for a number of years will flat out tell you that retirement means you must first be dead for at least three days--and even then, rigor-mortis must be setting in before retirement begins.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#194716 - 11/28/03 12:36 PM Re: Bad boss
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi Zuki!
I see that you've got a "hard noes boss" problem. Life is indeed to short for arguments and needless suffering. I personally like to bitch-slap and stuff, but I can't afford doing it at work. That's what forums are for !

I'm not an expert on the subject of work related control issues, but I think that
there's no harm in exploring a possibility of running your own business.

-ED-

PS
If you don't like to waist your time on arguments....
Do a search for NLP ( Neuro Linguistic Programming). It might give you an idea on how to resolve arguments and disputes and possibly prevent them. It's all about communication.

#194717 - 11/28/03 12:36 PM Re: Bad boss
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Work for yourself...Even with the facts Gary mentioned, I would have it no other way...Be your own Boss[you will have to suffer on accasions], but it is worth the freedom..especially if you are independently wealthy like Gary..

#194718 - 11/28/03 01:14 PM Re: Bad boss
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Being a hard-nose boss is not a strength, it's a weakness (although he might not see it that way). I use to have a manager that was tough and raised her voice to bark out orders. I use to call her "The tough Dove", but not to her face. Tough on the outside, soft on the inside. She tried to be tough to hide her weakness. People managers that get their employees to work because they like them are showing strength. If you can step away and view them in that light, it makes working with them a little less frustrating.
Starkeeper

#194719 - 11/28/03 01:25 PM Re: Bad boss
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
hi zuk
i've been a musician all my life (i'm 56).
it takes alot of guts and foolishness to take the risk of raising a family on a musicians salary. first you have to make sure
your family is behind you (that's the #1 thing). its scary,exciting but my god the freedom you have. your success will be based
on your dedication to your profession. as one famous musician told me "So... you want to be a musician.....How much are you willing to sacrifice to do it? that's the question you need to ask. there's no middle ground when you do this . either your in it
or you not. good luck. oh yea , my opinion
on that boss .... i would walk,trust me life is to short.
good luck my friend
wrinkles

#194720 - 11/28/03 07:07 PM Re: Bad boss
ByRequest Offline

Loc: Cullman, AL USA
Hello Zuki,

Yes, I have been there and I know exactly what you are saying.
You have the luxury of being able to "plan" your withdrawal from the rat
race. But if you leave too early you may find that your next boss also
attended the same seminars that this "Bad Boss" took notes from.

Yes, by all means make plans to follow your heart. But don’t quit a
job when you are angry. Have more than one source of income if at
all possible. Leave on your terms. Keep emotions in your music, but
let common sense and logic design your escape plan.

Just my thoughts,

Floyd

#194721 - 11/28/03 08:14 PM Re: Bad boss
zuki Offline

Thanks for the wisdom and lots of good advice, as usual. I found it interesting that most thought I was planning on doing a music gig. No way, I might open up a music store.
Thanks,
Zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#194722 - 11/28/03 09:30 PM Re: Bad boss
KN_Fan Offline

Thank goodness I get along quite well with the people in my department (pretty large company with over 500 people in the whole building). I'd have to say out of about 25 people I probably stay away only with one of them. The rest are good. My boss are relaxed enough to not breath down my neck all the time.

Around four years ago- I DID work for uuhm..a big bank and hated every minute of it. I took a leap of faith and quit BEFORE I had another job lined up, but that was when I was a vibrant 26 years old..he.he..I won't pull that stunt ever again.

#194723 - 11/28/03 09:40 PM Re: Bad boss
Dnj Offline

I Totaly agree with Fran....
Be your own boss and enjoy your family & your life...remember this...

"If You Ain't Doing What You Love ..
You Ain't Livin'"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online