SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#124663 - 02/08/06 10:20 PM Roland KR103, good for a church?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
The piano sound, is it modeled after the Fantom X or the SRX-11 pianos, or something different entirely? 64 notes polyphony, is this going to be used up in a hurry due to Roland's method of allocating polyphony? I.E. 2 stereo tones going at once, like piano and strings, could mean 4 notes of polyphony minimum being used up with each key pressed?
I was asked my opinion about this board for a church. They like the price range of this unit I guess as it is the entry level of the new KR line, 103 105 and 107. Although I don't know if they'd need arranger functions; the kind of hymns they sing are not really style-friendly.
Do you think this is a good choice? I really don't know a lot about these digital pianos, but I do know enough to make me wonder about those concerns/questions I put on top. The lady who tried this piano out also tried a Clavinova and she liked the Roland better. I was not present when she tried it though, and this isn't even my church, but I'm the one people ask in my town about stuff like this.
I know I asked a similar question to this one about a year ago when there was a restaurant looking for a digital piano. Well, they still haven't bought anything, and probably won't at this point. I may go back and look at that thread too and refresh my memory, but I'm looking for specific opinions on the KR103 if anyone has any.
Thanks,
Rory

#124664 - 02/09/06 07:01 AM Re: Roland KR103, good for a church?
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Rory,

It could be that they should take a listen and look at the HP107. This is basically a very good piano without all the bells and whistles of the KR series. It still has 40 voices, plus all the good piano features, including escapement. Just seems to me that the KRxxx has too many unuseable features if the church's approach to music is conservative.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#124665 - 02/09/06 08:35 AM Re: Roland KR103, good for a church?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I like this idea. I thought the KR had too many features that would not be used as well, but I don't know enough about these things and I didn't even know about the HP107. The church pianist comes from a classically trained background, and I think this suggestion is a great one. Thanks Tim.

#124666 - 02/10/06 01:08 AM Re: Roland KR103, good for a church?
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
The piano sound, is it modeled after the Fantom X or the SRX-11 pianos, or something different entirely?

Is different from both of them; it is a Steinway-type sound similarly to SRX-11, but, of course, SRX is better.

Quote:

64 notes polyphony, is this going to be used up in a hurry due to Roland's method of allocating polyphony? I.E. 2 stereo tones going at once, like piano and strings, could mean 4 notes of polyphony minimum being used up with each key pressed?

Yes, it happens as you say, so you must be careful in layering sounds, especially if you widely use hold pedal.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online