SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#124568 - 05/15/05 04:33 PM Would my studio work sideways?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I move around alot and record in many different locations. What I've been doing until now, is unscrewing everything from my racks and lugging them along - as you can imagine -- not ideal.

I just saw this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/544590/src=01340 and think it might be the solution to my problems. Basically its a 4 - 6 rack box on wheels.

The only problem is that it won't fit in my studio any more unless I stand the rack case on its side - ie like this | | . Is there any harm in having my compressor, preamps, interface, eq, standing on their sides?

#124569 - 05/15/05 07:09 PM Re: Would my studio work sideways?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Much of this will depend on the individual equipment and how it is cooled. Some rack mounted systems are fan cooled, while other components are cooled solely by convection with strategicly placed vents. Of course, if the equipment or component is fan cooled, it will have position should have no bearing, but if it's convection cooled, there could be an overheating problem. Might want to check this out first before investing.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#124570 - 05/15/05 09:13 PM Re: Would my studio work sideways?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Hmm Gary, very interesting. Never heard of convection cooling before. I will need to look into that. But for that matter, last I checked none of my units have fans in them. Not my eqs, compressors, interface, tyros, mixer...

Thanks for the tip.

#124571 - 05/16/05 05:24 AM Re: Would my studio work sideways?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Convection cooled equipment usually has a series of small holes drilled in the bottom of the case, usually in a square pattern, and another series of holes in the back or top of the case. This allows the heated air to escape from the top or back of the device, while at the same time drawing cooler air in from the bottom. A number of rack-mounted power amps utilize this cooling technique in conjuction with heat-sinks on the power transistors.

As you can envision, if the rack were mounted vertically, the heat would be trapped in the top of the unit, thus causing it to overheat. A classic example of this was with the Mackie 450s, which overheated if the powered speaker was placed in its side, but seemed to run just fine if it was placed normally. In order to overcome this, some owners installed 120-mm computer fans behind the heat-sink's cooling fins. The fans are extremely quiet and moved lots of air over the heat sink fins, thereby eliminating the problem.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#124572 - 05/16/05 05:34 AM Re: Would my studio work sideways?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
It could always be a good idea to use extra ventilation by case fans. Maybe you'll find a good strategical place in your rack to install one (or two)...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online