SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#124135 - 07/23/02 10:40 AM My first XD-9 experience
ReneT Offline

Loc: NL
Well today I first saw the new XD-9 in the store and I must say I was impressed because the styles of this machine are very good.
(and very good for the price). For gigging it's very easy to have an interaction with your audience because you have acces to use 3 fill-ins, break (which is very usefull compared to a Roland break), 3 intro's and endings and quick buttons for syncro-start and -stop.
Syncro-stop works in another way like my Yamaha PSR-8000 is working, it just doesn't stop after releasing your fingers while a style is playing but stops if you trigger again and then release.
I think I will like this a lot...

However because the salesman couldn't give the answers for the following questions I'll try it here:

Do you know if it's possible to buy a XD-9 without hard-drive and build in an empty harddisc (2,5" IDE).

Is it possible to obtain slashed chords (for instance if you play notes A-D you can get an A-chord with D on bass?

Do you know if it is possible to use the line-in (on mic)as an aux input for using the speakers like a stage monitor?

And is it possible to select a particular song during playing with a style?
I hope so because I have read some posts already how drum-remix works.
Only how will the drums respond after receiving a sys-ex reset message or
control-off or all note off message used in professional midi-files?

Is it easy to make your own registrations (renamed internal or user styles) and do have quick access to them (like my G-1000 or PSR-8000 has)?

Thanks a lot

Rene

#124136 - 07/23/02 12:47 PM Re: My first XD-9 experience
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Rene,
Yes it is possible to select a song while playing a style and the second you hit load, that song begins playing without you having to push any buttons.
Yes, you can buy the XD9 without a hard drive and add one later, but remember not every drive will work with it so you might want to buy a drive from Ketron when you are ready but you don't have to.
Yes you can use the mic in (using a stereo insert cable or just a mono guitar cable) as a monitor source and come through the built in speakers and amp.
Your question regarding chord recognition I'm not sure of because I am not a piano player. There are 4 chord recognition modes. EASY1, EASY2, FINGERED1 and FINGERED2. Plus there is a mode called ROOTLESS which is to support rootless chord Jazz type chords. There os also a mode called to root and to bass. I would have to check with the tech from ketron to answer for sure. I hope this helps.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#124137 - 07/23/02 01:18 PM Re: My first XD-9 experience
ReneT Offline

Loc: NL
Wow, you gave me very good news!:-)Thanks for your quick reply George!

Do you also know how the sequencer will respond to GM/GS message ON?

Oh and by the way is it also possible to push WIND to measure 3.1 (this is how it works in my G-1000 and PSR-8000) if I want to have exact control when to start a song?

Rene Timmermans
from Holland

#124138 - 07/23/02 01:43 PM Re: My first XD-9 experience
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Rene ,
If you install your own hard drive on the XD9 , it is possible to lose the factory warranty from your dealer . When you buy an XD9 with a hard drive , you receive bonus styles and sounds from Ketron . Over 400 additonal styles are available .

Speaking of the hard drive on the XD9 . Ketron utilized it's hard drive like no other keyboard manufacturer . The ability to play GM/GS midi sequences directly from the hard drive is a perfect for real time access . Now that you smoothly go from midi to style on the XD9 ......it's a winner .

Your comments about the press point is very accuate as well . If you do not need a dedicated 16 track sequencer and 4 outputs the XD9 is a great value !

dano ketronguy@yahoo.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online