SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#123891 - 02/06/02 08:19 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
My local dealer where I purched my 2000 said
he would install the chips if he could get them! But they should be replaced free under warranty, they knew it had bugs. I found something tonight! I set up a style in registered memory. Then I set the 4 OTS settings. When your playing a song, say you go from a violin OTS setting & holding the violin note you go to a guitar OTS setting the violin blairs out load on the end of the note! Sometimes going from one setting to another, it cuts out all together!
There is no doubt this board has some bugs!
Yamaha is guilty of false advertizing!
When they advertized the OS to be in
flash memory. Thats what I thought I was buying!!! Was I ever wrong!!

Had I known what I know now I would never have purchased the 2000!
I just rolled out $1100. + bucks ! for this board, don't want to start shelling out more to pay for their mistakes. I would return mine but my dealer is also an old friend. I won't do that to him!
It's a shame! Because really it's quite an amazing midrange board. with so many good features. It's a shame they won't fix their bugs. I thought they were a more understanding company than that!
What makes me mad is their whole additude in this matter! They know they've made a huge mistake, you can't do people that way.
I expect this cut their 2000 sales somewhat!
Well I'll give it a while and see! But if they don't do something about this situation
this my last Yamaha!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 02-06-2002).]

#123892 - 02/06/02 08:22 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

Just about to buy a PSR2000 a week ago and now i'm totally confused.

Please forgive me for these stupid questions:

1) How serious will the bugs affect a beginner?
2) Is the Vocal harmony problem a bug?
3) Do i have any other choices within the same price range?
4) Which version does not have those bugs?

Thank you all; this is really a great place.

Danny

** In IT industry, we always say "It's not a bug it's a feature." **

[This message has been edited by DannyWay (edited 02-06-2002).]

#123893 - 02/06/02 09:03 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
Kmac Offline

Hi Scott

I have a suggestion. If I were you I would contact the better business bureau. If the keyboard does not perform according to the advertisement and owners manual they are guilty of publishing false information about their product. What type of warranty does the keyboard have. Keep a detailed account of all of your conversations with Yamaha and the store that you purchased it from.

Keep us posted

Kmac

#123894 - 02/06/02 09:37 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I really don't thinlk a beginner will be hampered by the bugs in the PSR2k, and i DO believe that eventually - the bugs will get fixed. Eventually.
The vocal harmony works great from the arranger chord section, the way it is designed to do, and I don't think you can get THIS much keyboard for THIS much money anywhere else. If you are afraid to make the purchase, that's understandable, but waiting can be tough too. I still think it's a "best buy" even with it's shortcommings.
I will, however keep bugging the company to make good on their advertised promises!

#123895 - 02/06/02 11:34 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I must agree with Dave. The 2000 is a great keyboard and the "bugs" would not be significant if it weren't for the deception and attitude involved.
The Vocal Harmonizer problem only affects a couple of "gimmick" settings--Karaoke Girl and Speedy Mouse. They just happen to be particularly important to me.
None of the other keyboards beside Yamaha even offer these settings on internal harmonizers. Point is if I'd known it didn't work correctly and that it wasn't easily fixable (as it would be in Flash Rom) then I would most likely have bought a 9000 Pro, despite the weight.
I would gladly have paid more money to get the keyboard AS ADVERTISED.
DonM

#123896 - 02/06/02 11:57 PM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
synthmeister Offline

Excuses, excuses! Yamaha has done this many times before. Is the PSR2000 still a good buy? I would say so, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that people have been decieved. You should get what you pay for. If Yamaha advertised, and failed to update the specs "wonder why" when they knew of the problem than this is obviously part of the marketing technique to lure costumers, a practice that they've been using for quite a while I may add! This is the same as buying a car. According to the specs the LS model you purchased comes with rain sensing wipers, then you find out you don't have it. Are you going to make excuses for the car company "Well it's just a gimmick" I probably don't need it. Of course not. WHY, because you paid for something and expect to get what you paid for. By letting Yamaha do as they please "as in the past" you are giving them more reasons not to care about the customer and treating them like chumps! You need to unite and play the game.

[This message has been edited by synthmeister (edited 02-07-2002).]

#123897 - 02/07/02 12:22 AM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Most manufacturers rely on "road testing" before the final bugs are ironed out. Microsoft is FAMOUS for letting "end users" tell them what to do to make windows work better. It is a fact of big business that makes financial sense. It's cheaper to built it - sell it, and THEN fix it than is is to test, and re test BEFORE they even know what the market wants.
This is NOT a defense of the practice - just an honest observation of business ethics(...or the lack thereof !)
I'm confident that within a reasonable time, Yamaha will correct these anomolies and we'll all be happy for a few more days. Progress takes time, and this PSR2k is WORLDS ahead of anything I've owned in the last 10 years. My mic never sounded better than it does through this keyboard. The harmonies are not my ABSOLUTE favorite, but they are WAAAY above average.
Let's keep voicing our needs, and staying as patient as we can .... It'll get better.

#123898 - 02/07/02 03:41 AM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Hi everyone!

I agree with Uncle Dave. Yamaha may have made a stink about sharing their files but I doubt they will ignore the bugs in the PSR2000.

If you have ever purchased a video card for your computer you will recall the drivers included NEVER work properly and you always have to go get updated ones for the card to do what was advertised. Also, some take a while before they implement what was advertised.

Yamaha has to find the best way to upgrade these machines and fix the bugs, before many more people drop off their bandwagon. I don't think they expected so many professional musicians, to purchase it to begin with. I believe it was meant for someone like me, that wanted to step-up to a mid range board and hope the neighbors don't complain.

Again, I doubt they will ignore the vast number of professionals that have purchased this board, for fear they will go elswhere. No customers no sales. I believe they read all the PSR forums.

Also, if you look on the front inside cover of the manual it states and I quote:

"SPECIFICATION SUBJECT TO CHANGE
The information contained in the manual is believed to be correct at the time of printing. However, Yamaha reserves the right to change or modify any of the specificatons without notice or obligation to update existing units"

Again thats on the inside cover of the manual and states their case pretty clearly.

-Linda

#123899 - 02/07/02 04:56 AM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
LindaFus is exactly right! She hit the nail on the head with her last paragraph where she mentioned "specification subject to change" This is where Yamaha covers their tails.... I also agree with Linda where she mentions that Yamaha may not have really anticipated professionals buying the PSR2000. I think this is the case with this keyboard. Look at the PSR-9000 and 9000 Pro, both of these keyboards are upgradable via floppy. Yamaha clearly advertises these boards as "professional" arrangers. They in no way refer to the PSR-2000 as a professional arranger.. Even though it does have professional features... I think that's why the PSR-2000's flash upgrade was eventually dropped by Yamaha. It's a marketing thing. Imagine if they adverstised the PSR-2000 as a professional arranger... For example saying it's a lighter version of the PSR-9000 and 9000 pro for half the price minus a few features. This would most likely take sales away from the VERY expensive PSR-9000 and 9000 Pro. We musicians always are looking to save money aren't we? If Yamaha advertised the PSR-2000 in this way the sales would go up and they would offer the flash upgrade for it.. Yamaha's funny in a way. Look outside the arranger department. They have a HUGE support line for their professional synths.. Take their new Motif for example.... Anyone ever see the support site for it? It's amazing! Yamaha Techs actually read and reply to the posts there. I don't think Yamaha really sees the need to invest such support for the "what they call lower end arragners, and non professional arrangers..." The only arrangers they really give good support for is the PSR9000 and 9000 Pro.. Hopefully they will change this in the future and come to realize that MANY professionals are using their lower end non professional keyboards every day. People like Uncle Dave are a good example...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#123900 - 02/07/02 05:52 AM Re: PSR2000 ROM Chip Upgrade PROBLEMS ! ! ! ! !
Clif Anderson Offline

Repeating myself

"Specifications subject to change" does not exempt a company from providing the features it advertised to induce people to buy the keyboard (or other product). If it did, Yamaha could put a toaster in the PSR-2000 box and claim they just changed the specifications. Maybe the production model is going to weight a little more than the preliminary spec. sheet indicates, or maybe the processor is a little slower or faster, etc. But "SSTC" does not mean that Scott Yee should pay $140 to upgrade the operating system for a keyboard that is advertised as having a "flash upgradeable" operating system.

Furthermore, Yamaha's "case" is not summarized by this phrase--because Yamaha acknowledges they need to basically repair some units for free. But for economic reasons they do not want to fix all the keyboards that need fixing. So they have a "test": if you can articulate the problem the repair is intended to fix, you get the repair for free. If you cannot guess the problem (but are only getting a repair because others are doing it) you have to pay for it. Now this approach probably worked ok BI (before the Internet), but nowadays, it is a recipe for massive dissatisfaction.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online