SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#123620 - 05/29/06 02:17 AM Re: What if you combine a ...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have played the DGX-620(625 in the USA)...it is awesome.
The action is Graded Hammer...as good as it gets.
The piano sound is the Live Grand from the Tyros/3k.
The one I played(this past weekend) was a prototype but in essence a production model...it was the only one in Canada.
Very nice piece.It is not light,nor was it meant to be...it is a home piano,not a portable keyboard.
Ian

#123621 - 05/29/06 03:10 AM Re: What if you combine a ...
Rickideemus Offline

And 18kg = 39.68 lbs! That is some nice detective work, George. I tend to believe the musiciansbuy specs (even though they don't respond to my emails) because they post big picture files, and more detailed dimensions. So apparantly, they actually pulled out a tape measure.

Quote:
Very nice piece.It is not light,nor was it meant to be...it is a home piano,not a portable keyboard.

ianmcnll, I'm glad you like the kbd. The confusing thing is they advertise this as "Yamaha's first 88-key Graded Hammer System weighted action portable keyboard." Yet, the P70 has GHS and weighs 28.7 lbs! PR people live in their own world. The P70 isn't part of their "portable grand" series, so ... must not be portable!

Rick

#123622 - 05/29/06 03:41 AM Re: What if you combine a ...
ianmcnll Offline

The P70 doesn't have accompaniment.It also doesn't have as many sounds.
They are different products for different markets.
You may find a lighter weighted action,but it won't have the quality of Yamaha's GH (Graded Hammer)which is considered the best by many pros.

Ian

#123623 - 05/30/06 03:51 AM Re: What if you combine a ...
Rickideemus Offline

Quote:
The P70 doesn't have accompaniment.It also doesn't have as many sounds.

Yup. And the P70 also has smaller speakers, fewer speakers, and no display. I didn't mean to question whether the YPG-625 was better than the P70. Only meant to question Yamaha's use of the English language.

The sentence: "The YPG-625 is Yamaha's first 88-key Graded Hammer System weighted action portable keyboard." is clearly false, which they should know. The P70 is their product!

Quote:
You may find a lighter weighted action,but it won't have the quality of Yamaha's GH (Graded Hammer)which is considered the best by many pros.

As far as I know, the hammer action should be identical between the two. They are both Graded Hammer Standard action (GHS).

Peace,
Rick

#123624 - 05/30/06 04:20 AM Re: What if you combine a ...
ianmcnll Offline

The P70 is not a portable keyboard.It is a digital piano.
The DGX is a portable keyboard....it is basically a PSR with 88 keys.It is the first with weighted keys.

Do you think you will ever find what you're looking for?

Ian

#123625 - 05/30/06 04:24 AM Re: What if you combine a ...
Dnj Offline

#123626 - 05/30/06 04:49 AM Re: What if you combine a ...
ianmcnll Offline

Nice picture.

Ian

#123627 - 05/30/06 05:56 AM Re: What if you combine a ...
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Hi
Rick, I don't think Yamaha use the English language in a wrong way.
P70 is a digital piano
DGX-620 is an arranger
All that the both keyboards have in common is the GHS system. Grand Piano patches are different. I presume the P70 sounds better.

I think that Ian's sentence
Quote:
was confusing. In my opinion DGX-620 is as portable as DGX-505. I think the major problem connected with its portability of these 88-keys is the size of the keyboard, not its weight.

Anyway, are 18kg too much for a portable keyboard? How much a Tyros 2 weights?

Regards,
George

#123628 - 05/30/06 07:01 AM Re: What if you combine a ...
ianmcnll Offline

You're right,George,my statement was confusing.Sorry.
I guess I was thinking about the big wooden stand that comes with the DGX that gives it a distinctly "homey" look.
I played one for the better part of two days and I liked the sound and the action.
It doesn't give as many fingering options as the higher end PSR (like On Bass)but it does have the "Full Keyboard" option which is important to some players.
It is not that heavy,but it's size does make for awkwardness.

Ian

#123629 - 05/30/06 08:03 AM Re: What if you combine a ...
Rickideemus Offline

Quote:
The P70 is not a portable keyboard.It is a digital piano.
The DGX is a portable keyboard....it is basically a PSR with 88 keys.

Well, I guess I'm the one who doesn't understand the English language. How can you say the P70 is not a portable keyboard??? You can put it in a soft case and carry it around. It weighs less than the DGX. It has lots of keys. THAT MAKES IT A KEYBOARD. I just don't get it.

Quote:
Do you think you will ever find what you're looking for?

I ordered the YPG-625 two weeks ago.

Quote:
George said:
Rick, I don't think Yamaha use the English language in a wrong way.

Well I do! They've got ianmcnll thinking a keyboard is not a keyboard! Or a piano is not a keyboard, or SOMEthing.

Don't let marketing departments affect how you interpret the English language! The language belongs to the people. I was called "a keyboard player" long, LONG before the first Moog synthesizer was invented.

Rick

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online