SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#123387 - 08/11/06 08:46 AM Yamaha Arranger/grand pianos
montana Offline

Loc: red lodge,mt,usa
Has anybody had any experience with those Yamaha pianos that have arrangers in them. They are like baby grands.

#123388 - 08/11/06 09:03 AM Re: Yamaha Arranger/grand pianos
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I have never played one, but have heard some Clavinovas, and they are very impressive. My impression is that Yamaha does not hold back, when making these, but they are VERY expensive.
On this forum we argue about which piano voice on a Yamaha, Roland, etc. we prefer and say is subjective. But only a Clavinova (or the Roland equivalent) sounds like a real piano.
Let the flames begin.
Starkeeper

#123389 - 08/11/06 09:19 AM Re: Yamaha Arranger/grand pianos
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by montana:
Has anybody had any experience with those Yamaha pianos that have arrangers in them. They are like baby grands.

Montana:

I have a CVP 307 Clavinova, it is a fantastic instrument. There are too many features to post here. The single biggest advantage is that it can be played easliy as a piano and has a feature built in called iAFC (Instrumental Active Field Control) Using built-in microphones, iAFC picks up the sound and combines it with the Clavinova's internal sound through the rear speakers, making automatic adjustments in real time to enhance the sound and match the acoustic characteristics of the room you're playing in.

If it were portable or if I had a steady gig at one venue, I'd consider taking it to that venue. The action has the feel of a real piano and has most of the arranger features of the PSR 3000 and then some. More styles than the 3000 and a section called Piano Styles that give you arranger sound with just piano. The CVP 307 does not have the look of a grand piano, it looks more like a console style of piano. The CVP 309GP is available in a baby grand style. But I didn't think it was worth the extra $3000 give or take just for a cabinet and a few more features that included keys made our of wood.

You may want to check out CVP Users Forum

My training was originally on piano. I owned a 5 foot 8 Samick grand that owned for 15 years. Got to a point where I rarely played the instrument anymore. Last year I sold it after purchasing the Clavinova. On a couple of occasions I miss the grand, but for the most part I have no regrets on selling the Samick. Probably what I miss most is that when my wife and I desingned the house we live in the living room/dining area was made extra large to accomodate the grand piano. The living room looks a little lost with out the grand.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-11-2006).]

#123390 - 08/11/06 09:32 AM Re: Yamaha Arranger/grand pianos
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Have an old Clavinova CPV 65 in the office...sounds GREAT, but was over $6000 10 year ago. (And this comes from a "died in the wool" Yamaha "non-user").

Russ

Just checked..the total bill from the dealer was $6000, but also got a tone generator, midi keyboard and other misc. stuff. Piano was about $4,750.00. Actually, it was sold to an old clubowner who had Alzhiemers. He was confused and dealer was trying to collect for the unit, which he didn't even remember buying, so I just paid the dealer off and moved the piano to my office. Wouldn't have bought this or anything from this dealer, but have enjoyed the piano.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-11-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online