SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#123187 - 07/09/02 10:44 PM Best Digital Piano .....period!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I've just received my first Generalmusic Pro Mega 3 Piano this week and the opinion so far is that this is the best sounding, feeling and easy to use piano my piano playing customers and employees have ever played or listened to. The feel, large sliders and volume pots, and ease of use of the 4 sections is just awsome. The technology which created this instrument is a newly designed chip by Gem call "DRAKE". Drake makes it possible to increase polyphony, sample sounds, develop physical modeling for sound creation, add effects.....basically everything can be programmed into a DRAKE chip. It's memory capacity is huge.
What Gem did is to create acoustic piano sounds using samples and combining physical modeling in the dynamics and harmonics as well as in damper physical modeling and in the case of the Rhodes, Wurliter Piano and Clavinet, they have used 100% physical modeling to create these sounds. The four sections include Pianos, Vintage Keyboards, Basses and other sounds including Strings, Brass, choir, etc. Each section is exactly the same with a Volume slider, two effects processors, to left button (for splits) and on and off button for up to 4 layers. When you call up one of the 128 performance memories you see all the rotary pots move to light up the selected sounds and the volume slider physically moves to the programmed volume and the graphic equalizer has red lights which show exactly where the adjustments were made. You can also lock the eq so not to move between performances. This is truly a work of art and although when I first saw this at the NAMM show in February, I really didn't spend any time with this product because I was only looking at Genesys, I must tell you, if I had a studio and had to have the best Acoustic Piano, Rhodes, etc. and a great 88 key hammer action graded keyboard, and I could spend about $2500.00, this would be it. Couple this with a Ketron XD3 arranger module or the X4 or a Generalmusic WK2 arranger, and you could have the ultimate set up if you didn't want to take it around to much. The Pro Mega 3 is big, but boy is it worth it when you touch the rotary knobs and large faders. I know most of you will not see this because there are few Generalmusic dealers around the country, but if you could, it's worth a drive to your nearest dealer.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#123188 - 07/10/02 05:08 AM Re: Best Digital Piano .....period!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks for the info George! I had a feeling this digital was going to be a killer... I'm sure you'll find many others who share your view point on this beast of a digital... I remember the first time I saw a pic of the thing. Then I saw the specs and my bottom lip hit the floor when I saw the poly! Geez how on earth can anyone run out of notes with the poly so high..?? This digital is gonna be a huge hit on stage and in the studios.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#123189 - 07/10/02 06:02 AM Re: Best Digital Piano .....period!
rgtaa Offline

#123190 - 07/10/02 10:30 AM Re: Best Digital Piano .....period!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
looks great, but missing in my opinion;
1. digital out(s)
2. balanced in/outputs

I will definately have a try out though

#123191 - 07/10/02 01:50 PM Re: Best Digital Piano .....period!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The main outs are balanced 1/4" ring tip sleeve jacks or unbalanced 1/4" jacks. Aux out 1 and 2 are not balanced. There are also stereo 1/4" inputs. No digital outs are provided. There are 3 pedal jacks on the rear which use Generalmusics "Auto-Pedal Sensing" technology which makes it very easy to configure different types of pedals. Each of the back panel connectors marked DAMPER, PEDAL1, and PEDAL2 can be used to connect either a footswith, (like a damper/sustain pedal) or a continuous pedal (like a volume pedal). Whenever you insert a pedal into one of these jacks, the Promega automatically runs a check on the pedal to see which type it is and configures the Control menu accordingly. If you have no pedals connected, you will not see any of the options in the screen. If you connect only a Damper then you will see this in the disply, etc. The system is intelligently designed so that, if you are only using one pedal, you don't need to see menus for the other two pedals which you don't have. In addition to determining how many pedals are connected, the system can also tell which types of pedals have been connected. There are three different types of pedal commonly available. Footswitch with normally closed contacts. Footswitch with normally open contacts. And contrinuous or "volume" type pedals. Just thought I'd pass this information along.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#123192 - 07/10/02 02:55 PM Re: Best Digital Piano .....period!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
thanks George, I did'nt see it initially on their website.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online