My setup:

4 space rack- in rack is:

1) Fuhrman power conditioner
2) Rane SM82 Line mixer
3) TC Electronic D-Two
4) Yamaha Motif Rack

controller keyboard (Alesis QS7.1-not using onboard sounds),

Pair of Yorkville E160P powered speakers for stereo

I’ve always had a stereo live rig. I used to own a pair of Roland KC500’s but they rattled around too much for me and were too big and heavy. Then I bought a pair of Barbetta Sona 41’s. Had those and they worked well but the sound did break up at times and also the tweeters were excessively loud- meaning the tweeters seemed to generate a lot of noise just on their own without playing anything. So I got rid of them. I also got rid of them because I was on a quest to get something even smaller- kind of obsessed with making my live rig as small and powerful as possible.

Then I bought a pair of Yorkville E160P’s.
http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=9&cat=2&type=29

What I like: the company, the build quality, Canadian made, the size, nice low end, loud, low noise

What I’m having a problem with: a really brash mid to upper mid range kind of boxy sound that I can’t seem to get rid of- especially noticeable when playing Rhodes sounds. I didn’t notice this when I had the Sona 41s.

There is no on board EQ on the E160Ps and I’ve used the EQ on my Motif Rack to try to get rid of the sound I don’t like but it seems that more than anything it is just a characteristic of the speakers- maybe of having a single 10” speaker.

Does anyone else have this experience with Yorkville? I am not going to buy an external EQ and it looks like I am on the hunt once again for the perfect powered speakers. I want something small and light without a 15” in it. I am trying to stay away from brands like Mackie, JBL, and Behringer- basically anything made in China. I want something American or Canadian made and somewhat of a high end piece. Should I be looking at stuff like Bag End and what’s that one made in Washington called K2V or something?

Any suggestions on what to buy? What about EV?

#123090 - 02/10/05 02:39 PM Re: Yorkville Barbetta Powered Speakers Help
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Check out Barbetta 31C. Light, sound great, small, no noise at all.
DonM

#123091 - 02/10/05 03:13 PM Re: Yorkville Barbetta Powered Speakers Help
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Hi Al, welcome to the forum. Here's an EV speaker that's received rave reviews from several forum members, including myself. Check it out.
http://www.electrovoice.com/Electrovoice3/products.nsf/pages/SxA360

Glenn

#123092 - 02/10/05 03:18 PM Re: Yorkville Barbetta Powered Speakers Help
Al Keys Offline

Thanks guys-

I have thought about those Sona 31Cs cause they are so small- but I will research those EVs as well.

Do you know anyone who doesn't like Yorkville? Just curious. I have always heard nothing but good things about them, which is why I bought them but I have to say I am not as impressed with them as I thought I was. I really sometimes miss the sound of my Sona 41s but they were on the noisy side and did rattle around some due to mid frequencies. Also, trying to always go with smaller speakers- so far the Sona 31Cs and the Yorkville E160P's are smallest. Portability is an issue with me. I don't have a pickup truck anymore.
Thanks everyone

#123093 - 02/11/05 10:32 AM Re: Yorkville Barbetta Powered Speakers Help
BlkNotes Offline

Could anyone who has experience with the Electrovox speakers please give their comments ( i.e. sound quality with Kbs, vocals ). I had not heard of the prior to GlennT mentioning them ( thanks glenn) Especially when compared against its competion i.e. Makies SRM 350/450, Barbettas 31c, 32c, 41c, Bose PAS, others

SCP

#123094 - 02/11/05 04:41 PM Re: Yorkville Barbetta Powered Speakers Help
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA

#123095 - 02/12/05 02:34 PM Re: Yorkville Barbetta Powered Speakers Help
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
Hi!

I'm the one on the other discussions posted by GlennT.

It's Electrovoice and not "Electrovox" as you wrote.

About the SXA360s, I ended up buying them because I like to travel as light as possible!
But it wasn't just that... They are very very powerfull and at the same time very light.

I love the sound quality with my Ketron SD1 and my partner voice, who is a female. I'd like to have the EV Sub on addition to the SXA360s, but since really I don't want to carry it every week, the SXA360 can handle it by their own! They are so powerfull I have been using them with the volume setting at -6 / -10 dB.

I've never compared the EVs to the PAS or even the Barbetas, so I can't help you here. About the Mackies SRM450, I heard about some overheating problems on this model and that's why I didn't even check them. The EVs SXA360 are ligher and more powerful so...

If you want to know something else about the EVs send me a email!

(Sorry about my english, but I'm from Portugal!...)

Luis Santos

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online