SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#122905 - 07/11/01 03:33 PM Standing during permances
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi all,
encouraged by our friend UD and previous postings, I like to open a new thread.
I totally agree with UD that standing during a performance is much better than sitting, for the reasons mentioned earlier.
Here is my dilema though: I'm using two footpedals with my Pro. #1 to break/fill to self, #2 to glide (rt hand). During a solo I often use the glide instead of the pitch bend for lets say a lead guitar and use a fill in at the same time, while I try to keep my hands on the KB. Two pedals, two feet; sitting no problem. Standing I will fall flat on my face .
Any coments?
Remember I'm not a seasoned player like UD, Scott or others.
Thanks for your help.
Eric

#122906 - 07/11/01 03:39 PM Re: Standing during permances
Eric, B Offline

Sorry Guys just realized my mistake.
the topic should read: standing during performances.
Eric

#122907 - 07/11/01 04:16 PM Re: Standing during permances
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Eric & all,
I too agree that standing height is preferred for MAXIMUM exposure to the audience. Eric, I FULLY understand the tricky dilemma you are refering to. I personally utilize both a "4 pedal" foot controller unit (to trigger fills 1/2, intro/endings) as well as an additional single pedal unit (to trigger panel memory incremental changes: AABA parts of the song). I've figured out a standing height solution which works well when I perform. I situate the keyboard at full standing height but then use a TALL stool so I am able to sort of rest my butt against it for support which enables me to STILL use both my right and left feet to trigger the foot switches as needed. This is sort of a part standing/leaning-sitting position. Now you can perform without falling flat on your face

For even MORE exposure & PROFESSIONLISM (if no stage is present), I use a platform riser and portable stage lights. For full effect, I add my stand up backup band 'cut-outs'. You can check my website for a picture of my band http://scottyee.com

BTW, I also contructed a simple thin (1/4") lightweight plywood platform which sits on the floor and is kept into place by the keyboard stand's legs. This platform is used to secure BOTH the "4-pedal" foot controller and single pedal foot controller units in place (keeping them from moving). This way, the pedals will ALWAYS be EXACTLY where you remembered them (via touch. No
peeking ok?, remember, you got to KEEP your eyes on your audience. Before coming up with the foot pedal holder platform, the pedals used to slide around and invariably distract my attention away from the audience!

Hope my suggestions help, - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 07-11-2001).]

#122908 - 07/11/01 05:23 PM Re: Standing during permances
Eric, B Offline

Hi Scott,
thanks for your reply. Very helpful. I think I might have to go with your idea of a tall stool.
Eric

#122909 - 07/11/01 07:01 PM Re: Standing during permances
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
Scott,

I like your idea with the plywood platform for the pedals. I think I'll make one... Thanks.

Henry

#122910 - 07/12/01 05:44 AM Re: Standing during permances
Dnj Offline

I stood up for over 25 years,then I got lazy and started to sit for a few years while performing but if you gig as much as I do many times 2X a day my arms would start to hurt due to sitting back and extending your arms to the keyboard. This past Xmas I got together with UD and we reconfigured my setup from top to bottom and now for the last few months I have been standing on stage and Love it. First of all your arm are straight down increasing the blood flow, you look better to the audience with a profesional appearance, your in better control of keyboard/equipment navagation, singing is easier, you can move and groove to the music while playing too, No stool to carry. I really like standing and IMO its the way to go for a professional looking performance with an arranger keyboard solo act.

donny

#122911 - 07/12/01 06:08 AM Re: Standing during permances
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have been standing during performances and practice for over 40 years.Starting with the accordion. I even stood while playing the Piano and organ in the 60's. At least it is easier now to adjust the portable gear in our comfort zone...Stand uo and be heard[seen]...Fran

#122912 - 07/12/01 09:08 AM Re: Standing during permances
Eric, B Offline

Thanks guys for your response and your experience. Now I have to figure out how to work my gas and break pedals so my KB wil not run away from me.
Eric

#122913 - 01/19/03 07:03 PM Re: Standing during permances
Dnj Offline

Now since this post...... we have many new members. It would be interesting to hear if you stand or sit while playing and why?

#122914 - 01/19/03 07:14 PM Re: Standing during permances
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Until a few years ago, I thought standing was the only way to go. I did it for more than 40 years, but about three years ago at the end of a double where the jobs were about 20 miles apart, I decided to use a keyboard stool and situated the keyboards and music stand so I was sitting sideways to the audience. I've been doing it ever since, and while I would prefer standing, at my age by the end of the night I would need help walking to the van. Fortunately, retirement is somewhere in the future. In fact, my wife says I can retire three days after I'm dead. Standing's OK when you're young, but sittin's a lot easier when you hit Social Security age.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online