SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#121955 - 11/06/00 10:37 PM Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
Jim Henry Offline

Loc: Surprise AZ USA
Is there some customer at the club where you play or some "fan" who has followed your act or someone at a party you played who left a memory etched in you mind? Maybe that person made you laugh or shocked you or inspired you or released the Mr. Hyde in you!

Use this thread to post stories about the people who "put a face" on the crowd.
========================

In 1989, I met a man named Nat Marx in the club where I worked. Turned out he is the first cousin-once-removed (meaning his dad was first cousin) to the Marx Brothers. We became great and loving friends. He celebrated his 94th birthday at my club last Saturday night. Lots of club attendees know Nat and his wife of 72 years, Natalie, and joined me in the tribute to him for all the joy and laughter he's brought into the place for the last ten years.

When the night ended, Nat and Natalie were the last customers to leave the place. As we hugged and kissed each other, he said to my wife (who manages the place) and me, "Well, we're closing the joint again! Natalie and I used to close the joint where Paul Whiteman's Orchestra played in New York, and the place where Benny Goodman played. Now we're closing Jim Henry's!" I was speechless. Here was this happy, witty, slightly drunk 94-year-old man who, with his wife, had reveled in the bygone days from which we only play "oldtime music"! He's the closest thing to a walking, breathing time capsule I've ever known.

When I grow old (maybe next week) I want to be like Nat Mark--I want the focus of my life to be outside myself; to simply immerse myself in the pleasures and people who surround me at every moment, just as he does.

That's my story. Would you add one?

Jim Henry

#121956 - 11/07/00 01:07 PM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Here's mine:

Our band was hired by a local company to play for a retirement party for one of their valued employees. We drove 35 miles hauling a trailer containing an organ and leslie plus stands and pa. We setup, and were waiting for the guest of honor to arrive. She arrived and was so overwhelmed by the whole event that she suffered a heart attack. The paramedics arrived and took her away. The man who hired us came up to the band and said "no one feels like partying now, here's your money you are free to go". We left never having played a note.

Tom

Tom

#121957 - 11/07/00 01:52 PM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
We wer playing for a dance (local Social type thing and my partner at the time gave out a spot prize for the First person up to kiss me( this is a true story) and this well built middle aged lady rushed up I dont really think that the rush had anything to do with my attractiveness or whatever. Anyway I had stack three keyboards and she swung her hand in over them and pulled my head to hers I had a Glass of non alcoholic beer in my hand and I could not balance she ulled me closer and other hand came down on a=many keys of at that time an old korg ix300 and produced a most unmerciful loud chord (20 approx notes. I couldnt leave down glass as she had me pinned down so to speak and I certainly couldnt leave it on the Keyboard she kissed so hard that She actually cut my lip and pressed my glasses to on side thereby causing injury to my nose --also bent the glasses ---- The idiot of a partner gave her a spot prize for that kiss. I personally wouldnt have given her either a kiss or a prize. In true musicians form I laughed. Pierce

#121958 - 11/07/00 03:24 PM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There are so many . . .
One of my most vivid memories is of an event that happened around 1976, in Arkansas.
"Margaritaville" was the big hit at the time and as I was singing "searchin' for my lost shaker of salt", this beautiful girl stepped up on the bandstand and handed me a salt shaker.
We danced, we became close friends, in fact we were engaged to be married, but . . . it didn't work out (thank God for unanswered prayers!)
Thankfully, most of my customers are more loyal than she was!
About three years later I met the girl who is now my wife of 20 years while I was playing at a supper club.
She followed me home and never did leave!
DonM

#121959 - 11/07/00 04:39 PM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Oeps Tom, I would have felt horrible..

anyway those were the days;
I still can remember a few of them, it must have been around 1970;
That time I was a guitarist in a blues/rock groupe and we had some gigs on saterdaynight and sundayafternoon in the area of Groningen, which is 2,5 hours driving.
During the first part on saterdaynight I blew my Fender Showman amp to heaven. During the second part I blew my reserve London City amp to heaven.
Miraculously there was a friend of our client who had a selfbuilt 200 watt amp at home, which was close, So I could borrow that one for the rest of the night and for sundayafternoon, as it was in the area.
This selfbuilt amp was a miracle! It did a better job overall as my own gear.
(he did not want to sell it )

Another one around 1972 (we were more in hardrock already);
We had a gig in a very old building on the first floor.( I still hate stairs bringing up ton's of gear.) Anyway we were all a bit pissed off due to the stairs as nobody told us upfront, so when all the gear was setup, in the afternoon (we had to gig at night) we did a sound cheque pushing the volume a bit...heheheh....Within minutes the owner came in running, that there were some windows braking downstairs....

I stop here...now I think of it I can go on a long time....
Fred

#121960 - 11/08/00 05:33 PM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi

Not really being a 'live' player (more dead from the neck up ) I did not think I had much of a tale to tell ....but on reflection...

My parents are Salvation Army officers and I am their big dissapointment however if they have anything special on I usually go along to earn brownie points!!

A few years ago there was a group called the Joy strings. Not sure if they ever went over to America but they were quite big here in the UK in the sixties. They were led by Joy Webb (also a Salvation Army officer.) Anyhow she came over to some services my parents were holding and I went along to see how she was holding out. She borrowed my Keyboard (then a KN5000) and really made it sing.

I stayed for lunch and she was messing with the board and I was listening in awe when she asked if I would play while she sang. Not usually playing for anyone (let alone for someone with such a reputation) I was nervous to say the least. Still I got through it and will never forget it.

Another thing is that my ex father in law is best mates with Georgie Fame (Don't know if you have heard of him over there???). We all went to see one of his concerts and then went out to dinner with him later. He said to come round to rehersals the next day and I could 'jam' on the piano. I bottled out and have regretted it ever since

Anyhow thats my tale (or rather two!!)
Tony

#121961 - 11/08/00 10:45 PM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
Jim Henry Offline

Loc: Surprise AZ USA
These stories are so entertaining to read!
========
A year ago, a table of six--it looked like the grandparents, the kid & kid-in-law, and a couple grandchildren--came into my supperclub. The youngest child was a girl about four years old. Generally, I don't relish little kids in the club because I have to edit my ad libs and work the house differently.

Within a few minutes of their arrival, the little girl turned in her chair and began watching me. And watching me. And watching me. After first thinking that she was merely curious or intrigued by the different lights and colors onstage, I passed her off as being just another non-bothersome kid. But, after three hours of her glued attention to everything I did from playing dinner music to getting offstage and onto the dancefloor for my "signature" medley from Phantom, complete with cape, mask, and candelabra, I realized that this young child was every entertainer's ideal audience. She clapped and laughed and tapped her toes and absolutely poured her own energy into the room, which, as all entertainers know, is what actually makes the magic possible.

At the end of the evening, I visited their table and asked permission to take a picture with this "other half of the equation." She quietly agreed. As I hunkered down for the snapshot, her Mom and Dad told me that she's always been completely enthralled by live entertainment. I felt lucky that she had approved of my work.

That picture helps me forget the dozens of dead-minded people who suck energy out of a room. I will always remember that little girl. I wonder if she'll remember me when she older. I'm just vain enough to hope so.

[This message has been edited by Jim Henry (edited 11-08-2000).]

#121962 - 11/09/00 09:45 AM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
Dnj Offline

I have a story out of many thru the years of performing so here it goes.

About 16 years ago my wife and I went to New Your City to see BARRY MANILOW perform on Broadway at the Uris Theatre. A friend of mine gave us 4 row center seats that were great. Before the concert started people kept coming down the isle and snapping flash pictures of my wife and me of which I am used to when I'm performing. But I said to my wife why are they taking pics of us she said "you idiot SUSAN LUCCI ("Erica" on ABC's All My Children) is sitting in the 3rd row right in front of you" Hahaha,
Now when Barry started to play I was enjoying the show and during the song "MANDY" my wife turns to me and says " we have to leave right away!" I said "why?" she said ' My Water Just Broke we have to get to the Hospital"!!! Sooooo, we ran to the hospital and my wife had a beautiful baby girl, but we had no name for her. We decided to name her "MANDY" after the song Barry was singing in the concert when we had to leave. Now every week at my dance Club Barry Manlow's father comes to dance and enjoy the music. I know him very well. I told him this story a few years ago and being the nice person he is he said "I'll call my son in California and get you some Signed pictures! Two weeks later he calls me over and hands me an envelope with two beautiful pics of Barry signed "To Mandy All The Best" she has it on her wall and adores it!!!

donny nj

#121963 - 11/09/00 01:51 PM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
U.D.

Having only played professionally for the last 25 years I've led a very sheltered life. It's only recently since I've joined the forum that I've associated with the likes of you and Dom. Who is Joey D'Francesco? Didn't he play in the Archies?

Tom

Tom

#121964 - 11/10/00 08:38 AM Re: Tell a Story about a Special Customer or "Fan"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi All,

It's truly amazing to know how much power we have as musicians/entertainers to make a difference in people's lives. One the most personally moving experiences for me happened just the other night when a women in the audience (in her early fifites) came up to me after my show. I immediately recognized her because I've seen her regularly in the audience for quite some time now (six months). She told me that my shows had greatly contributed to winning her battle with breast cancer as well as the associated depression. She says she is now in remission. When she told me this, I could hardly hold back tears.

Tom,
Are you kidding us? Joey is simply one of the "best" Hammond B3 jazz players in the world today.I saw him live when he was in town and his playing is awesome. Check him out. Here is a link to both a synopsis of his career as well as his album listings: http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=B69358

Scott
San Francisco Bay Area, Californa, USA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online