SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#121937 - 09/18/03 08:04 PM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Maged:
You should also consider Ulead Media Studio Pro. I have been using this amazing sofware for 6 years and I like it a lot better than Adobe premiere. http://www.ulead.com/msp/runme.htm

Maged

If you want to go to the midrange level,
I would also highly recommend "Ulead Media
Studio Pro 7". I have used it, and it is
excellent. The concensus is that it is much
more user friendly than Premier(although I have not tried Premier 6.5 yet).
You might also want to check out www.abcdv.com for more info on midrange to highrange software.
I have used Pinnacle Studio7, and it is
really good and easy for adding Titling.
Stay away from Studio 8 since it is very
buggy. If you do decide to go low end,
I find the Ulead products(Movie Factory,
VideoStudio7) to be the best. Also for
DVD authoring, Ulead DVD Workshop is excellent.
For high end authoring, a friend of mine uses
Sonic ReelDVD, and is very impressed by it.
If you have a very powerful PC, you really don't need a dedicated card.
BTW, I have read about Pinnacle Edition,
and it seems to have a different interface approach than others, and has a steep learning curve. I, personally, am now staying away from Pinnacle, after getting burned several times with software that was just too buggy, and really not ready for release. Unfortunately, these are the same people that bought Steinberg.

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 09-18-2003).]

#121938 - 09/18/03 08:59 PM Re: Professional Video editing and production
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Rock&Roll Joe,

What Avid system have you used?

By the way, I am a PC guy. But I assure you if FCP4 was on a PC, I would have purchased it right away.

#121939 - 09/19/03 03:23 AM Re: Professional Video editing and production
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
I have done quite a bit, including weddings, corporate videos, concerts and charity events. I mainly film in digital using a Sony VX1000 and then capture using Firewire. Editing I prefer Adobe Premiere, though I also incorporate 3DFX for animation. Usually then render out to DVD but sometimes in analog using Miro hardware (DC30) or even from the video card.

Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#121940 - 09/19/03 09:25 AM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Clif Anderson Offline

If you use only one camera, then there are lots of good choices, even at the low end. At the mid-range, Vegas excels at synchronizing audio and videos from different sources so that they can be superimposed. Adjustments to transparency can be made while a video is playing.

I videod a show where kids danced to and also sang to "1000 miles". I was given a cassette tape of their singing and videod the dancing. Unfortunately, due to tape speed problems, the tape audio was longer than the video performance. Vegas, made by the same company that developed Sound Forge and ACID, allowed me to adjust the length of the audio to fit the video with no pitch problems.

With Premiere 6.5 and below, real-time adjustments were not practical. I have found the human-user-interface on ULEAD products to be inferior to most other products, but it depends on what you are used to. The rec.video.desktop newsgroup is a good place for information on this topic.

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 09-19-2003).]

#121941 - 09/19/03 11:00 AM Re: Professional Video editing and production
sk880user Offline

I was thinking of recording Audio not through the camcorder (I will be using two Canon XL1s), but to the DAW directly. How can all of this be synchronized together?

Thank you all for the suggestions and help. I really appreciate this.

#121942 - 09/19/03 07:34 PM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Rock&Roll Joe Offline

Loc: Hensley, AR USA
sk880user.....

My office is running the AVID Express System on a Mac G4. At the time we purchased it the choices were Express DV, Express, Media Composer, Symphony, and I think there is one above that.

We've also got Final Cut Pro sitting on another G4. Both systems are great and have their pros and cons. In fact I finished up two different commercials today...one on each system.

Although I love both of these systems, I still believe that with a dedicated computer, lots of RAM, a dedicated drive(s) for media, and the software that you feel comfortable with, you can produce very good results. In some ways it's almost like the choices of keyboards and instruments....the sounds, interfaces, name brand, and cost are what drives people to certain brands over others.

Best of luck with what ever you decide.

Joe

#121943 - 09/20/03 07:53 AM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Clif Anderson Offline

sk

Even though you do not plan to use the audio tracks from your XL1s in the final product, you can use them to synchronize the two video tracks and the DAW audio track. Vegas, for example, shows the waveform data. You can visually align the peaks of the DAW audio to the camera audio, then mute the camera audio tracks.

#121944 - 09/20/03 05:23 PM Re: Professional Video editing and production
sk880user Offline

Clif,

True. Thanks a lot for the article by the way. I have met its author in person and basically he thought highly of Vegas. I am waiting for him to try other newer packages. By the way, what about use SMPTE code to synch all tracks?

#121945 - 09/20/03 09:17 PM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Clif Anderson Offline

Well, I haven't used SMPTE and would be happy if anyone could explain its use in synchronizing. Interesting coincidence (?)SK met the author of the Vegas review.

#121946 - 09/23/03 02:24 AM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
I do professional video productions for living and I also study AV communication. Two days ago I arrived from my first trip to USA. I was in California - Arizona - Nevada aria. There I was doing a video production for the other people that where in our group.

I have PowerMac G4 Dual 1GHz with 1 Gb of RAM and 3x120 Gb HD. I have a Sony VX2000E camcorder and I use Final Cut Pro 3 and DVD Studio Pro 1.5.

Micco

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online