SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#121882 - 04/06/01 09:09 PM Arranger Keyboards FINALLY get attention in Keyboard Magazine!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Wow !

Are times a changing or what?

For years, Keyboard Magazine, the leading USA keyboard magazine has completely ignored even the mention of arranger keyboards and then ... suddenly, about a eight months ago, there appeared a three (consectutive) page ad for the Technics KN6000 keyboard. Then came the the "first ever" arranger keyboard review of the Roland VA7 and in the following month, a review of the Casio MZ2000.

I just received the latest April 2001 issue of Keyboard Magazine and FOR THE FIRST TIME, in their annual NAMM 2001 new gear report, they have devoted an entire section specifically to Arranger Keyboards. Most of the new arranger keyboards discussed on this board are listed: Casio MZ2000, Solton SD1, Roland VA7, Technics KN6500, Yamaha 9000pro, etc. I couldn't believe my eyes. Are arranger keyboards finally "coming out of the closet"?

The most interesting thing to read are the prices given. Solton SD1 $3,999, Yamaha 9000pro $3,999. I hope no one on this board is a sucker enough to pay the so called list price. Technics is even worse, not providing a list price at all. I have known some dealers having the gall to tell me that the KN6000/6500 list price is $6,500. This basically consitutes a $4,100 (or more) mark up. I don't mind paying the dealer a fair commission but this is complete highway robbery. In reality, the actual street price (US dollars) being paid for ALL three of the new afore-mentioned keyboards is around $3,000 (US dollars). Even at this price, the dealer is making a substantial commission as the wholesale prices are around $2,200 to $2,400. I have received a number of emails from uninformed members on this forum who complained of paying highly inflated prices for their keyboards after finding out later that they could have gotten it MUCH cheaper. I don't want to insult the respected integrity of the honest dealers on this forum, but I also feel I need to educate and inform the other less informed members here so they can be educated keyboard consumers.

- Scott http://scottyee.com

#121883 - 04/07/01 02:15 AM Re: Arranger Keyboards FINALLY get attention in Keyboard Magazine!
Jupiter5 Offline

It is about time that the arrangers were recognised, and the fact that they are every bit as good as synths (IMO), makes sense to include them in the magazine.

Here: http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000252.html
You will see that it is not only the magazines that are showing interest in arranger keyboards - but actual "synth" players themselves - who are coming to the conclusion that it is not all "one finger Chords" - and cheesy rhythms that these keyboards have to offer. The "Yamaha 9000 pro" is the keyboard in question that is generating interest! We'll convert them all one day scot!

Tony

[This message has been edited by Jupiter5 (edited 04-07-2001).]

#121884 - 04/07/01 02:18 AM Re: Arranger Keyboards FINALLY get attention in Keyboard Magazine!
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scottyee, If this helps....The following is the Suggested Full Retail Prices for boards in the UK. From Authorised Dealers

KN6500 £1999
Va7 £2300
9000 £1999
9KPro £2499
MZ2000 £1200
PA80 £1699

Discounts are generally available from these prices.

Graham UK

------------------

#121885 - 04/07/01 04:59 AM Re: Arranger Keyboards FINALLY get attention in Keyboard Magazine!
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
I personally don't purchase equipment from manufacturers that don't publish their retail prices. Why does Roland's Musical Instrument Division let Retailers publish selling prices, but the Contemporary Home Products Division not let them. I don't like shopping in places that do not have up front, and straight foward pricing policies. So if that means I have less choices so be it. I remember my first keyboard-that was reviewed in Keyboard magazine over 10 years ago-the Yamaha X3500 was so cool back then. Yet by today's standards it is pathetic. I have a Yamaha PSR740 now and the only thing I wish it had was aftertouch.
I don't like buying cars, or airline tickets either. I think airline tickets has the most confusing pricing methods around.
Shopping should not be a chore-it should be fun.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online