SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#121109 - 08/02/02 05:12 PM Re: HELP ! Yamaha PSR Keyboard: Chord Recognition Problems
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
I guess I'll step up to the mic. I am a pianist. I didn't start playing on a keyboard until I bought a Korg Poly 800 almost twenty years ago. I hated it. I'm accustomed to haveing 88 keys that I make full use of. The idea of trying to play music on something less seem retarded. However, with time I came to appreciate some of the benifits that a keyboard could offer. One of my favorite modes of operation is the full keyboard mode midi'd up to my Technics P-30. I really enjoy the freedom it gives to play the music and not worry if I go out of the assigned chord recognition area. PROBLEM, the chord recognition really isn't up to par with my piano playing ability.(I know that sounds arrogant, PLEASE! don't take it that way) Not to mention, I have to play in a very simplistic form to utilize the vocal harmonizer in full keyboard mode. I have not had the opportunity to try these features out on a Technics Arranger, but if they can make it work, it's safe to say the technology is available. For me I have a hard time keeping my left hand doing nothing but triggering the chord arranger. I am used to doing as much with my left hand as my right. So I can empathize with anyones desire to have an arranger keyboard that caters a little bit more to the pianist and the way that person plays. Having said all this, bare in mind...this is all...IMHO.

Regards,
Let's all stay friends
Dennis

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#121110 - 08/02/02 05:40 PM Re: HELP ! Yamaha PSR Keyboard: Chord Recognition Problems
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
STAM: Thanks for performing the test on the Korg PA80. I'm happy to hear that your PA80 came up with 'correct' chord recognitions for almost every one of the melody notes played (except for perhaps Bdim ?!). This points out (to me) that the slash chord 'on bass' type chord recognition Yamaha chose, may possibly have been an oversight problem that Yamaha never really looked into. As I reinterated before, I only hope Yamaha will take at serious look at this BEFORE releasing the Tyros.

J Larry & Freddynl & Dennis (TwoNuts): Many thanks for your input & support on this issue as well.

#121111 - 08/02/02 11:08 PM Re: HELP ! Yamaha PSR Keyboard: Chord Recognition Problems
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Frank,
only after replying to your thread it came to my mind that you are the same Frank L. Rosenthal who has set up that software arranger beast in his home studio. So I think that, in the end, you and Scott belong to the same breed of people. I wonder: how can you write that arranger users are happy with their actual situation when you are the first one not to be happy? (And I seem to remember that you had a very good arranger like the 9000 Pro!)
Another guy who comes to my mind is Mike H (Mike from Alaska): he kept posting and asking if an arranger could synchronize a pre-recorded part with a style for a more realistic rendition. He too, like Scott and TwoNuts, was mainly a pianist and he too was offering hints for innovation.
Frank, I am really grateful to people like you, Scott or Mike because, like I said, even if sometimes people think "What the hell is this guy talking about?" it's thanks to people like you if things finally go the right direction.
Andrea

#121112 - 08/03/02 07:28 AM Re: HELP ! Yamaha PSR Keyboard: Chord Recognition Problems
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I think we should have a Arranger group meeting, maybe the Mid West area.Instead of bringing our arranger keyboards....we should put on boxing gloves[show our both hand skills]..I'm sure I would win, but it would be fun to see the runner ups in action..As in boxing competition, all parties shake hands and move on[hint]..

#121113 - 08/03/02 10:15 PM Re: HELP ! Yamaha PSR Keyboard: Chord Recognition Problems
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

The G1000 sucks, and boxing is for sissies.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online