Things come slowly to Alaska - and arrangers are no exception. I had purchased a GEM wk2 module from a midwest store before I knew of this forum - and people like George Kaye and Dan O. This is a special thanks to George who talked me through some of the issues on arrangers without being overly concerned about my buying there - and the same to some extent with Dan O. I certainly will buy from George in the future if the opportunity presents itself. This forum is quite interesting and I have read backwards a long ways. For myself, I just wanted something that I could use to fill up the sound when I play latin/swing/modern jazz with an upright bass player. My thought were to use the instrument to record arrangements at home for later use live - something I could go back and change here and there as desired. I wasn't particularly interested in triggering realtime accompaniment in live situations- though I can see where it would be nice. I was going to use my Roland FP3 as my live instrument - therefore I had an interest in just a module. But the wk2 isn't set up to perform like that - conveniently. Having owned the triton and karma from Korg - I'm not really excited about the PA80 sounds - though living in Alaska doesn't give me an opportunity to hear it. I like Roland - but haven't heard much raving about the VA-3 (don't need a vocal processor) - I've read a bunch of opinions about the Solton, Technics, Yamaha, Korg, Roland products and I do know that tastes are very subjective. I didn't mind the GEM sounds of the wk2 - but I find that most everything I have heard from internet downloads performed on arranger keyboards - leaves me feeling like its all a bit too canned and somewhat small on the depth of sound. Since the improvisations are such a critical part of my performances - I'd really like to get some input on how these arrangers are being or could be used so that they don't negatively impact the spontaneity of this sort of music. Are there particular instruments more suited to what I am doing. I am also very interested in the claims being hinted at by Chris in regards to the new GEM Genesys.

regards
Mike in Alaska