SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#120688 - 11/23/05 07:07 AM Recording with Software????
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Please Humor an ol'e man here with no tech skills whatso ever....I feel great pride in answering e-mails and posting....my dilemma is trying to find and understand the HIGH TECH software and recording related programs
as I said, this is all NEW to me...I've read posts and heard songs posted that were done with software and programs from the computer not in commercial studios...what is
everyone using...I understand that this is
all home studio work but which programs and software is the best and information on using it....up until now, all of my recordings have been done in studios and there are no avenues or options for me here
There is so much I want to do but find it impossible to come up with the correct information...I asked on another post which sound card to use....got a lot of great information and responses but am now understanding that there is more needed, software any and all help will be most graciously accepted....thank you all for your help and time......you're the best.
TR

#120689 - 11/23/05 07:21 AM Re: Recording with Software????
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Tony ... look into Acid Pro
http://www.activemusician.com/store/product.asp?sku=EM.SMSSACSB5000&c=&nav=bs&sn=70

This link will give you an idea as to what it is all about, but you can also do a 'google' search ...
t.

PS ... this old man with very limited tech skills can use it so it MUST be easy ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 11-23-2005).]

#120690 - 11/23/05 07:32 AM Re: Recording with Software????
Dnj Offline

Tony I use ACID PRO 3......easy to use, powerful features, and sounds great....
I love it for my multi track recordings.....on your PC..., for stand alone recording I use the Ketron MidJay.

I think theres an Acid Pro 4 & 5 now?
Free Trial too..
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?pid=928

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-23-2005).]

#120691 - 11/23/05 12:13 PM Re: Recording with Software????
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Tony,

The best app for you is the one that best fits your budget and your workflow preferences. Acid pro is an excellent app for recording audio and working with and editing sound loops and samples, but it might not be a very good choice for someeone who is interested in having good midi editing capabilites as well.

There are many good apps out there, ranging from free programs such as Audacity and Krystal, to lower end end commercial offerings, such as Power Tracks Pro ( great value ) or Cakewalk's Music Creator, to higher end, such as Sonar or Cubase, to top flight apps found in big studios such as Pro Tools and Nuendo.

Here is a link from KVR-Audio that lists quite a few of today's popular apps ( as well as some lesser known ones ). Each link gives a general description of the product, plus links to the product's home site.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=adv&soft=h&type%5B%5D=63&type%5B%5D=60&type%5B%5D=10&f=0&fe=0&mac=1&osx=1&win=1&free=1&com=1&un=1&sf=0&receptor=&sort=1&rpp=100

Good Luck,

AJ

#120692 - 11/23/05 12:37 PM Re: Recording with Software????
Tony Rome Offline

Thanks a million for your input....Iam checking all the links and will post what I find....again, I'm a DUMMY with these pograms and need something as the say keep it Simple Stupid...well that's me and as Tony M says if he can do it any body can....
TR

#120693 - 11/23/05 06:07 PM Re: Recording with Software????
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tony,
just out of interest, what sort of keyboard do you have? and were you planning on using the the sounds from your keyboard or sounds from within your computer ( softsynths).
Also if you don't have an arranger keyboard
ie psr, roland casio whatever, do you require software that contains styles so you can have instant backing or do you plan on recording from scratch, ie sequence a song track by track.

May give the guys a bit more insight as to what you require.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Rome:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#120694 - 11/23/05 06:39 PM Re: Recording with Software????
Tony Rome Offline

Thank you Rikki...very good points...first off, I do have a Tyros but with very limited
playing knowledge....so even though I would like to be able to play and record i don't think that it's a go at this time...I know my limitations...however, other folks have been telling me about pro midi tracks that can be purchased and changed to suit the needs of the singer..there are a few options open for backing, I have a very good friend of mine down here who used to back my on keyboard who now plays a psr3000
who has volenteered to make some tracks for me...believe me, if I knew how to sequence or play I would do it....you hit me with another one..."softsynth" I'm in the dark,
you need to talk to me like I'm a 6 year old
kinda like Forest Gump...hehe...Thank again
TR

#120695 - 11/23/05 07:29 PM Re: Recording with Software????
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Tony,
don't write your Tyros off yet. i don't own one personally , but I do have a manual.
On page 98 of Tyros 1 manual, it explains how you can actually put together a backing track in step time. ie bunch of button pushing and in a matter of minutes you have a complete backing track for a song.
You just pick the style, the parts ie intro , variations fills etc chords and you put them in in steptime. No live playing required. Then you save it as a midifile.
From there you could import the midifile into a computer sequencer for further editing ( probably not not neccesasry at this stage) or if you want it as an audio recording you'll have to ask one of the guys how to go about it.
Hopefully your friend may be able to show you how to do the step recording in the tyros,once you get the hang of it,, it's really quite simple.

If your Tyros is midied to a computer
Busker or Chord Player may be of some use http://www.1manband.nl/
I can't actually try either of these programs with an arranger keyboard( as I currently don't have one) but I get the impression you type in the chord sequence for your backing and you just press the appropriate style parts ie variations, fills etcand I ASSUME you'd hit the record button on the Tyros to record it all then save as midifile.

Start off simple and work your way up.

best wishes
Rikki

p.s. forget softsynths for the moment , all it is is a software synthesizer( synth that's loaded into your computer) as opposed to a hardware synthesizer .
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Rome:
[b]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-23-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#120696 - 11/24/05 12:40 AM Re: Recording with Software????
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
I use Magix music studio 2006 de Luxe.
Powerfull, easy to use, inexpensive, and compatible with vst and dxi effects.

#120697 - 11/24/05 08:03 PM Re: Recording with Software????
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Tony,
I've always thought Acid was more to do with the modern "dance" type music.

What sort of music do you actually create with it?

I've got a copy floating around somewhere , which I bought for hubby, in the hope I could get him interested in music. Unfortunately never happened. May dig it back out.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tony mads usa:
[B]Tony ... look into Acid Pro

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online