SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#120198 - 04/13/05 05:56 AM the state of the Arranger Forum - IMHO
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
When I first came upon the Arranger Forum a little over two years ago, I was just selling my Korg iX300 and looking to buy a PSR2000. I was leaving the Korg discussion group and looking for something a little more general in nature. As a long time band member, I noticed that there were a lot of guys (and a few gals) who were also using arrangers for profit and not just for fun, so I stayed and became active.

I quickly noticed that we had some very opinionated members, but also very helpful members. An even bigger item I noticed was that most of these guys were pretty mature (old ain't the word). At 52, I was relatively young. Certainly there were younger members, but most of us were over 40. The talk back then was pretty much a mix of info about the new PSRs, a few Ketrons and Rolands and even fewer other boards AND talk about ourselves, our families and our music. I noticed that a good half dozen or so members seemed very friendly toward each other; they either lived nearby or had met each other several times. It took a while for me to feel like one of the gang, but they seemed to accept me and I had a great time daily checking posts for the last two years.

Lately, things in the industry seem to have leveled out. New members certainly seem younger and therefore their interests are different. We rarely discuss styles, registrations or anything helpful like that. Posts seem edgy. New and old members seem to take issue with particular posts AND their posters. Some older members have stated their dissatisfaction with the new look and feel of the SZ and some have even left.

Do we really think no other members have come and gone? It happens all the time. Apparently this is a time of transition, for better or worse. If I were to come upon the Arranger Forum as a newbie today would I be interested in sticking around? I can't really say. All I know is that everything has its ebb and flow. Right now this forum seems to be ebbing. Maybe it's the lack of new information, maybe it's the interests of the newer members. Whatever it is, it is. We can all make the SZ whatever we want it to be as long as we stay active. When we move into the background, others will step forward to take our places - and make it their own.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 04-13-2005).]

#120199 - 04/13/05 06:17 AM Re: the state of the Arranger Forum - IMHO
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Cassp,

I sincerely believe the forum is alive and well, just not much in for realm of new products to discuss lately. And, individuals that had experienced problems posted their questions, most of them were answered and since their problems have been solved, they don't have a need to post. Now they're enjoying their keyboards and playing music. However, I'm confident that many still check the board daily to see if there's something new and exciting on the horizon.

As for folks leaving the board, it happens with every board. If you're concerned about Jim Eshleman taking a hike, this is not the first time he has done this. Jim does what he does, sometimes to his own detrement. That's Jim's problem and does not reflect the sentiments of the vast majority of this forums membership.

Something new will soon be on the horizon, and when it arrives, the board will be alive with questions and answers. Whether or not Jim partakes in those discussions is up to him.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#120200 - 04/13/05 06:40 AM Re: the state of the Arranger Forum - IMHO
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Gary, you're certainly right on target. I guess when I said the forum is ebbing, I really didn't meant that. It's just changing and old names aren't as prominent. I stand corrected. And as for The Pro, he's a big boy and can do whatever he wants. I really wasn't trying to continue that discussion.

#120201 - 04/13/05 11:19 AM Re: the state of the Arranger Forum - IMHO
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
I'm with Gary. This board has been a VALUABLE resource to me as I am starting out my journey into learning all of this new technology.

It's fantastic that people share their opinions passionately. It helps me and teaches me that what's important to others may not be important to me.

Just want to say thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts, ideas and opinions. And thanks to all the real pro's who answer all my dumb-ass questions with patience and a smile.

Russ

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#120202 - 04/13/05 02:13 PM Re: the state of the Arranger Forum - IMHO
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I am attempting to build and use a software arranger and I would have given up if not from the help given by Bluezplayer, Frank Rosenthal, Vquestor, and Rikki. This technology is in it's infancy, but is growing quickly. Setting this up is like pulling teeth, but I know this will be worthwhile. Most of the new products from the Musikmesse has been software oriented. Yamaha has bought Steinberg. They are putting their foot in the door as well.
The hardware side of the Synthzone is a little slow for now, but the software side is active, just not to many that are interested.
Since Frank Rosenthal build his FLR keyboard setup, he has not bought a new keyboard. No need to upgrade it, eh, Frank?
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 04-13-2005).]

#120203 - 04/13/05 07:29 PM Re: the state of the Arranger Forum - IMHO
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Starkeeper, yes most of my hardware is getting to be years old. My Music Computer is approaching 2 years with no changes planned.

On the other hand, I am currently awaiting updates for Project5 and Kontakt. The Project5 update will provide a number of soft synths which should be interesting. Kontakt will significant improvements in effects and GM compatibility. If this is true I will then move away from LiveSynth Pro to Kontakt (One instance for lead voices and one instance for accompaniment).

Live - Styler and forte are in for some bug fixes but generally work well.

These are exciting times. It provides those in the music business with more alternatives.

#120204 - 04/13/05 08:30 PM Re: the state of the Arranger Forum - IMHO
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Caasp,
unfortunately for me there really hasn't been anything new or exciting as far as keyboards go. Admittedly they keep getting better with each new model. More functions, better sounds, more polyphony etc
Let's face it, once you've owned a prior model , you pretty much know what you're doing.
I've noticed a lot more activity when a new arranger is released or when one of the music shows is nearing.

I found it a bit odd also that styles etc are rarely discussed. One can only conclude members are happy with what they've got, be it the onboard styles or converted styles. The issue of creating them is rarely brought up.

My focus has now shifted from hardware arranger to software arranger ( thanks to Frank & Bluzeplayer).
I was using OMB software as a style creation/editing tool well before it ever occurred to me to use it as an arranger.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cassp:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online