SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#120162 - 07/28/06 01:06 PM Re: Modern Style Arrangers (Reality Check!!!)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Abacus,

Consider this..., apparently the pro arrangers (Yamaha Tyros for example) are worhty enough to have their signature voices carried over to the synth line (MOtif's).

So why shouldn't it go the other way? Why does it just go one way? Isn't the T2 worthy of the drum kits (for example) from the MOtif--since it's a shared opinion of many users that the Motif (and other synths) have killer acoustic and electronic drums.

Should it be acceptable to say that only the Synths are worthy of sharing voices, and the arrangers are not?

Sure you can edit drum kits on some arrangers, but you can only go so far without having to edit and import samples. Isn't one of the ideas of an arranger is for the "out of the box" experience?

Just another way to look at it.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#120163 - 07/28/06 01:28 PM Re: Modern Style Arrangers (Reality Check!!!)
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Squeak good point above.
Does the Korg PA range have the Triton drum kits in them, or the new Roland E80 the kits from the Fantom range?
I'd love to see the next Yamaha have piano sounds in either from the S90ES or one of their electronic pianos, this would save me time having to create ones myself, although I must say having spent plenty of time editing the sounds, the results you can create with the editing software are quite amazing. I'd have never imagined the amount of depth, warmth and bottom end you can give to a grand piano sound.

#120164 - 07/28/06 01:39 PM Re: Modern Style Arrangers (Reality Check!!!)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Doesn't the G-70 have a "Fantom X" piano? If that's the case then kudo's to Roland for sharing sounds in "both" directions

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#120165 - 07/28/06 04:24 PM Re: Modern Style Arrangers (Reality Check!!!)
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Squeak,

When I do the G70 - T2 side by side demo, I'm going to be looking a lot at the individual sounds, but I also want to spend much of the time listening to the styles. I want to not only hear the the styles with all of their instrumentation, but also take them down to just the drum and bass sounds only.

Although many of the styles in my PA80 sound rather good to me when I have most of the parts turned on, when I play just the bass and drums from them, for my ears, I feel that the drums kits are good, but that the acoustic / electric bass sounds aren't. The synth basses however, are very good.

AJ

#120166 - 07/28/06 08:49 PM Re: Modern Style Arrangers (Reality Check!!!)
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Starkeeper,
(Squeak , sorry for going off topic)
you need to check out your OMB stylemaker functions more thoroughly, you can do some pretty amazing things, including extending
1 or 2 measures to 4. Plus you can create a style track/part library , be it for your psr styles or for use in omb. They both use .sty files.
Using OMB as a realtime arranger is not it's only use, it's also handy for creating styles for a psr.
If you want to discuss it further, the software arranger forum might be more appropriate.
best wishes
Rikki
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Software+Arrangers+|AMP|+Softsynths&number=43&DaysPrune=100&LastLogin=
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[B]This is a little off thread.
I own a PSR550 and tried creating a style. This is my first attempt, so I need to dig a little deeper, but I found it very frustrating.
1) You have to use an existing style, but I want the style to have 4 measures not 1 or

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#120167 - 07/28/06 11:58 PM Re: Modern Style Arrangers (Reality Check!!!)
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Squeak
I see what you are getting at, but you have forgotten one very important point, and that is the boards you refer to are hardware based and so suffer from the limitations that this technology brings, particularly with memory.
As an example
A manufacture purchases a consignment of 100Mb ROM Chips, (These are where the OS and sounds are programmed in) and to keep costs down they will be used in both Workstations and Arranger keyboards.
The design and marketing team decide that for the Workstation 50Mb will be used for sounds, 30Mb will be used for Mega voices, 15Mb for high end Drum kits and 5Mb for the OS, the Rom chip is now full and nothing more can be added to it. (Additional memory can be added for user sounds, if the customer decides to purchase it)
The design and marketing team decide that for the Arranger 50Mb will be used for sounds, 30Mb for Mega voices, 15Mb for SA voices and 5Mb for the OS, the Rom chip is now full and nothing more can be added. (As with the Workstation additional memory can be added for User sounds at the customer’s expense)
As you can see from the above it is not possible to fit everything onto one chip, and so they have to choose the items they think will sell to a particular market, if they did increase the capacity of the Rom chip, this would incur greater expense, which would then have to be passed on to the customer. (Rom chips are a lot more expensive then Ram chips)
Computer based systems don’t suffer from this problem as all the info is stored on the hard drive, and loaded into Ram at start-up. (Ram is cheap so if they need to fit more, the actual extra cost to the customer will also be small)
Hope this helps.

Bill

#120168 - 08/10/06 04:22 AM Re: Modern Style Arrangers (Reality Check!!!)
Heinrich Offline

Hi squeak,

you know I am right with you here. I tried a lot of arrangers in terms of: Does it have contemporary styles and the sound it needs for them. The only arranger I found suitable was the pa1x. Lots of contemporary music is built up by putting together waves and arrangers can only copy a feeling of this kind of loop music but not really catch it. Most hiphop and R?Bstuff sounds ridicu8ölous anyway on an aaranger. What I found most annoying is that all the arranger keyboard companies are trying to fit the same bill. Is it really so different - country styles from korgt or roland? Not really! Why the hell don´t they offer keyboards for different target groups - more contemporary (with arp functions) and more traditional. They are all heading in the same direction and this is quite boring!

my 2 c.

Best regards

Heinrich

#120169 - 08/10/06 05:21 AM Re: Modern Style Arrangers (Reality Check!!!)
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
"Statistically" the 40+ age group has more "Disposable Income" as compared to my age group (30's) and groups lower than me, and are more likely to be able to afford one."

It is not the +40 crowd that is driving the SUVs, have the lowered cars with the large custom wheels, the big screen plasma TVs, the crotch rockets, all terrain vehicles, sound systems that rock the neighborhood, Ipods, Game boys, video cell phones, go to the tanning parlors and health clubs........etc. None of these things are not very inexpensive

Regards,

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerryghr (edited 08-10-2006).]

#120170 - 08/11/06 06:43 AM Re: Modern Style Arrangers (Reality Check!!!)
Heinrich Offline

Damn well said, Jerry - lets put it like that: Kids and teenagers have a rising amount of money at their disposal (?) even if parents money is tight. As soon as you have kids money seems to run from you. (You wont have time either to do gigs unless some bedroom music composing). As soon as they stand financially on their own feet, you might encounter a late life of luxury. So: arrangers people under 30 and over 60. Right? ;-))

Heinrich

#120171 - 08/11/06 12:28 PM Re: Modern Style Arrangers (Reality Check!!!)
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
Squeak good point above.
Does the Korg PA range have the Triton drum kits in them, or the new Roland E80 the kits from the Fantom range?
I'd love to see the next Yamaha have piano sounds in either from the S90ES or one of their electronic pianos, this would save me time having to create ones myself, although I must say having spent plenty of time editing the sounds, the results you can create with the editing software are quite amazing. I'd have never imagined the amount of depth, warmth and bottom end you can give to a grand piano sound.

hi craig, the PA1X does...they have included with the pro (as it has the hard drive) fully sampled live drum kits, 16 of them in fact (and these can be swapped into the factory styles), that are available for the triton series, they even have them set up with great styles...additional to the standard factory ones...
just thought i'd mention it
dennis

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online