SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#119867 - 12/09/99 02:46 AM Solton X1 vs Technics KN-6000
Les Swartz Offline

Loc: Fremont, NE USA
As I had a Solton, my wife wanted her own arranger type keyboard. We decided to sell some of the stuff we had but weren't using (Digitech vocalizer, Proteus/2, etc). Her choice was The Technics KN-6000, which I found for 2895.00, be that good or bad price.
The positive things about it are, 1. It is a "pretty" one. 2. Nice big readout. 3. Some nice styles including piano based.
Solton X1 doesn't have numbers 1 and 2 like Technics does.
The X1 does, however, have total number of superior styles ecept for piano based, absolutely rules in solo instrumentation sound quality on virtually all sounds. Has far superior drums, has more emotion in its styles. Solton has better touch and after touch. Solton, I believe has an easier interface and and interface that is definitely better for on the fly adjustments.
My wife loves it, but then it is HER keyboard, though I have played on it considerably today. I found the Solton learning curve a skate compared with the Technics.
I like the Technics and feel it will be a good friend. However, that being said, The Solton X1 has and will remain the keyboard love of my life.

#119868 - 12/09/99 01:52 PM Re: Solton X1 vs Technics KN-6000
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Uncle Dave,

I guess it's time for me to come to the defense of my beloved Technics KN5000 keyboard. The KN5000 sounds, styles, and ease of use are unequaled in producing a realistic acoustic combo sound (at least for the type of music I specialize in: acoustic jazz, swing, blues, r&b, pop standards), especially when played in "pianist" mode which recognizes and allows you to play complex piano chord voicings.

I've played in "live" jazz combos for years (vocalist/pianist) and I can honestly tell you that when playing on the KN5000 in "pianist mode" that it is the closest thing to playing with the "real pros". To me the "acoustic" piano sound on the KN5000 is the most realistic & natural sounding available on any arranger keyboard (though others of you may disagree). It compliments the auto-accomp. rhythm section nicely when both comping and soloing jazz & pop standards. I've had nationally acclaimed jazz musicians tell me how impressed they were with the KN5000's realistic acoustic jazz sounds (piano, bass, vibes, drums) & spontaneous fills triggered (drum/bass etc) which create a realisitic sounding "live" improvisational effect." The KN5000 really comes off as sounding "spontaneous" which is the key to making great music, especially jazz.

For rock-contempo oriented music, the X1 styles may be better suited, but for acoustic jazz & pop/ swing oriented material, I love the KN5000.

I am interested in purchasing a Solton X1 as I am very impressed with the X1's sounds & styles; but my biggest concern is the VERY STEEP learning curve which I hear may prove quite frustrating for some time. The KN5000 on the other hand is very quick to learn, "user friendly" and easy to operate.

This leads to a compromise solution: Anyone here interested in "trading" Solton X1 styles for KN5000 styles?

- Scott

#119869 - 12/09/99 08:08 PM Re: Solton X1 vs Technics KN-6000
Les Swartz Offline

Loc: Fremont, NE USA
Another strength of the KN-6000 is its performance pads. Compared to the Soltons, they are terrific. I do wish more keyboards would make better use of the performance pads, which can enhance playing, at least for an amateur like myself. And the arpeggiator pad is a style unto itself.

I still prefer my Solton tho.

And, I now have another brownie point. My race is on. Full member before death due to old age. )

#119870 - 12/09/99 10:45 PM Re: Solton X1 vs Technics KN-6000
DannyUK Offline

Hi !

I have been monitoring the progress of the last 3 major keyboard releases in the UK and it would appear that the PSR9000 is getting all the hype and attention, whether justified or not. I have played on all 3 keyboards and I love all 3 though i am sticking to my X1 because I think its so easy to play songs to because of its wonderful styles that invite it. But here in the UK, nothing is hardly said about the X1 and only a little is talked about with the KN6000. It almost feels like I am the only person in the UK who owns the X1, because most people have either not heard of it and if they have they dont think its anything great. I think this shows how far behind the UK is in some cases.

Danny (UK)

#119871 - 12/11/99 02:06 PM Re: Solton X1 vs Technics KN-6000
AndyG Offline

Loc: Wiltshire,UK
Hi Danny,

I too am in the UK, and I haven't seen an X1 - anywhere. My regular dealer won't stock them and my local dealer hasn't heard of it!

So, my choice was between KN6000 and PSR9000. I've had the KN6000 and returned it - so now its the PSR...

Regards,

Andy.

#119872 - 12/11/99 03:35 PM Re: Solton X1 vs Technics KN-6000
Jer Offline

Loc: Delay Beach Florida
Scott;

I respect your opinion on the Kn5000 - you would know best of all what your needs are in any particular keyboard.

Regarding the X1 - it has certain remarkable characteristics - and for an experienced professional - perhaps - you could borrow one and do an A\B test comparing it to your KN5000 - I'd like to hear your opinion on that.

As far as exchanging styles - almost all the Kn5000 styles are available and playable ( very well too!) on the X1.

Unfortunately I do not think that there is yet available a program to convert X1 styles to the Kn5000 format.

It does not have the same characteristics as earlier Solton models.

Jerry

#119873 - 12/11/99 07:50 PM Re: Solton X1 vs Technics KN-6000
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jerry, I check with Klaus at EMC often, he will send me the X1 update, when it is ready to ship. I will let you know when I recieve it. I also am anxious to use it...Fran

#119874 - 12/11/99 08:32 PM Re: Solton X1 vs Technics KN-6000
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Guys, it's not just in the U.K. People here in Louisiana think Solton is an Arab Ruler of some sort.
Closest place I could find one to look at was Dallas, Texas. And they barely knew how to turn it on. In all fairness, the dealer had just received it.
I'm really enjoying having the only one around while everybody else is playing Yamahas.
Don

#119875 - 12/11/99 10:42 PM Re: Solton X1 vs Technics KN-6000
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Danny,
The US market is no different than what you see in the UK. Here in California, it's only because of my passion for these arranger keyboards that I have become so popular among musicians seeking out a good store for arranger products. All around me are chain stores which carry some Korg, Yamaha and Roland arrangers, but almost never carry the smaller brand names. If there were more dealers in the UK who thought like me, I'm sure you would be finding many more players using these keyboards. I normally would sell maybe 5 or 6 of any other model keyboard throughout the year, but I've sold dozens of X1's in only 5 or 6 months. Why? It's not just because I'm one of the only dealers. It's because i've taken the time to learn it and be able to demonstrate it. I'm still convinced that if all the other stores had these, they would just sit on their shelves, because you have to spend time and learn them. If my customers just came in and played a few notes, they would probably walk right on bye and head to the Yamaha's. Why? because these are the brands you see everywhere. Long live the little music stores who take the time to learn, sell and give support to those in need.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#119876 - 12/11/99 11:20 PM Re: Solton X1 vs Technics KN-6000
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Fran,

Do you know the estimated date that EMC plans to release the new version of StyleWorks Universal which supports style conversion between the Solton X1 and Technics KN5000?

I had the opportunity to speak with Klaus Grosser on the telephone back when I orignially purchased EMC StyleWorks (KNWorks Professional) software about a year ago. I am now interested in "upgrading" to the StyleWorks Universal version which supports both Solton X1 style conversion to KN5000 and vice versa: Technics KN5000 style to Solton X1. Even though EMC software is expensive, it would still be a lot cheaper than buying a "new keyboard" for its' styles.

It should prove interesting how successful the style conversions will be compared to the originals.

- Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online