SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#119821 - 12/07/01 12:32 PM Saving Reg Mem Banks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Day 3 of PSR2000 ownership. My head is swimming. Making progress and taking tasks one step at a time. But today, the goal is to learn how to save Memory Registration Banks to disk and then be able to recall them. I got to the point I can save just the voices I want to each of the 8 buttons, but am having trouble saving it to a bank in User or on floppy. I thought I did it once, but couldn't recall the bank when I wanted it.

I have scoured the manual, but I am just not getting it.

#119822 - 12/07/01 01:08 PM Re: Saving Reg Mem Banks
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It's the single most confusing thing on the 2000! But it's really simple to do once you get the hang of it.
After you save the sounds, styles, etc. to the registration memories, you must then save the Bank.
Push the Registration button. A page will open up and at the bottom you will find a Save command. Push that. (Not the New tab, that makes a folder within a folder.)
You will see a place to name the registration at the bottom. Then push o.k.
If you are saving to a current registration bank, you will see a warning that you are about to overwrite the Bank. Push O.K.
That's it.
By the way, you can name your registrations by pushing the Direct Access button, then a reg. memory button. You will see the Name tab at the bottom of the screen.
Good luck with the 2K!
DonM

#119823 - 12/07/01 01:38 PM Re: Saving Reg Mem Banks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amazing Don. I thought I did all that, but when I followed you instructions step by step, it actually worked. Does it save the settings in the balance bars (mixing console) as well?

Reason I ask is, the internal balances in the 2000 seem pretty good...but when I load some of the Roland styles on, WOW... accomp part is WAY too hot. If the balances are saved, I guess I will need to create Banks just for the Roland settings I like.

Thanks for helping me out here.

#119824 - 12/07/01 01:46 PM Re: Saving Reg Mem Banks
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The way I would suggest saving the Roland styles is to change them in the Style Recorder then save them to a new style.
This way you wouldn't have to have Reg. banks for them.
It's pretty easy, just select a style like you were going to play it, change all the volumes or voices or whatever, then push Digital Recording, then Style, and save it. I haven't done this on the 2000, but it was very simple to do on the 9000.
Let me know how it works!
DonM

#119825 - 12/07/01 02:17 PM Re: Saving Reg Mem Banks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don...
Even though I have a 9000, I never had the need to use the Style Creator...but you are right, it works the same way in the 2000. The balances, however, do not appear to be memorized. It looks like you have to set the balances the way you like them when you first turn it on..and they stay set there regardless of the styles chosen. Still working on this, but that is the way it looks to me right now.

Where as the 9000 had 512 preset options, I am thinking of storing all the ones I set up on the 2000 to disk. I love the fact you can set up a second style while playing the first. Lots of options in programming a gig on the fly...and very little down time between songs. I love it.

#119826 - 12/07/01 04:05 PM Re: Saving Reg Mem Banks
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Here's another way (on the PSR2000), to access the Registration 'Names' window screen. From the MAIN window, hit the letter 'J' button, then press the upper part of the #8 toggle button at the bottom right of the screen. This takes you to the 'Registration Bank Names' window display without actually having to select a specific Registration (1-8) as Don Mason's 'Direct Access' button method requires you to do. I prefer this method when performing live, as you get to see 'all' the Registration Bank choices without actually having to select one.

#119827 - 12/07/01 05:21 PM Re: Saving Reg Mem Banks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Neat little trick Scott. You find that in the manual? I have been so cross-referenced I am going blind.

#119828 - 12/08/01 05:18 AM Re: Saving Reg Mem Banks
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bsharp! Yep, there are many hidden features & tricks which aren't covered in the PSR2000's user's manual. It seems the only way to discover many of them is thru trial and error.

#119829 - 12/10/01 09:32 AM Re: Saving Reg Mem Banks
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bsharp:
... The balances, however, do not appear to be memorized. It looks like you have to set the balances the way you like them when you first turn it on..and they stay set there regardless of the styles chosen. ...

You can, indeed, save the balances in the style. Take these steps: 1) Copy the Style to the User Area. 2) Select the style. 3) Adjust the instruments and the volume for each instrument to your liking. (Note: test the sounds out in each of the four variations.) 4) When satisfied, go to Digital Recording and select style. 5) Press the Next button to go to the second page where you will see the "Save" button on the right side of the screen -- I don't have access to my keyboard right now. 6) Save the style under its current name or a new name if you like. 7) Now copy the style back to the floppy.

When you load the style from floppy, all your settings will be in place just as you set them. If you are adding OTS to the style, you need to use the same procedure outlined above to get them savely stored in the style stored on a floppy. I've done this many times now and am relating these steps from memory -- hopefully I haven't missed anything.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online