SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#119020 - 06/22/03 05:58 PM Recording an Arranger into a DAW
The Accordionist Offline

Wow, I've done a lot of research lately on DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) and have learned a lot. I'm thinking about purchasing the Yamaha AW16G and went to www.aw16g.com. What a site!

I recently ordered a Ketron XD3 from a Synthzone member and it will arrive on Wednesday. I am very excited! In reading about how to record with the DAW I was shocked to learn that I would actually take the two 1/4" Audio Outs from the arranger and plug them directly into the DAW! I had thought that there would be some way through MIDI or digitally to get the signal into the DAW. I know that some high-end keyboards have S-PDIF optical inputs and outputs but they are really expensive to me - especially since both ends must have the connectors.

Evidently there isn't much loss with the analog inputs, thankfully. I heard trtjazz's Jungle Jazz and Bill E's music and was amazed! I have some high-end Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones and could not believe the clarity and stereo separation of their music.

I can only hope for half as much!

Weird that you just plug them into the 1/4 inputs, as if they were a guitar or a mic.

#119021 - 06/22/03 06:19 PM Re: Recording an Arranger into a DAW
trtjazz Offline

Accord, It's the only way to fly IMO (having tried working with the pc too) for ease of use, you just plug in push record and go.

A word about the digital recording....the cables (they look like RCA but aren't) aren't all that expensive. To get equipment with s/pdif though is not always that common. Here's what I will say though. In all the years I have been recording s/pdif was the biggest quality sound difference I have heard. I was amazed s/pdif is totally clean with zero noise. The somewhat annoying thing though is that in recording digitally one has no volume control, it does it automatically by a "bulk dump" sort of arrangement. There is volume control in the mix going out but not on the way in. Be that as it may it is a totally clean sound digitally.
Terry

And thanks for the kind words about Jungle Jazz.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#119022 - 06/22/03 06:34 PM Re: Recording an Arranger into a DAW
The Accordionist Offline

Terry -

One other thing - forgive me for commenting solely on the clarity of your compositions. I also thoroughly enjoyed the music. I don't even want to think about how much work goes into producing something like that!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online