SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#118782 - 02/21/07 10:38 PM Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Some of you have heard the drum beats I've created on the T2. I would now like to go a step further and hire a professional drummer and percussionist to play beats into my Cubase sequencer using an electric drum set. I will then turn those beats into styles.

In the T2 manual it seems that there is a way to do this - ie: to create a .STY file from a sequencer. But can anyone give me step by step instructions how to do this?

(I know this is possible in Styleworks - but I specifically want to do it in Cubase.)

Thanks, Chony

#118783 - 02/22/07 09:03 AM Re: Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
chony Offline

This is what the T2 manual says. If someone could just translate:

• Record the section in the order listed in the table below, with a Marker Meta-event at the top of each section. Enter the Marker Meta-events exactly as indicated.

• Also include an "SFF1" Marker Meta-event, "SInt" Marker Meta-event and style name Meta event at 1|1|000, and the GM on Sys/Ex message (F0, 7E, 7F, 09, 01, F7).

• The data from 1|1|000 through 1|4|479 is the "Initial Setup," and 2|1|000 through the end is the "Source Pattern."

Does anyone know how to make a "Marker Meta-event" in Cubase, or any other sequencer?

Also, how do I turn this all into a .STY file?

Thanks, Chony

#118784 - 02/22/07 11:22 AM Re: Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi Chony

Try to read my Style Creation Course at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style_1.htm

or read the whole course offline as a pdf document: http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style_creation_course.pdf

Feel free to ask for more...

Kind Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#118785 - 02/22/07 01:40 PM Re: Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
chony Offline

Thanks Jorgen!

Where the heck did you get that program (WinJammer Shareware?) Is it available for Mac? Can I do this in a regular sequencer or do I need this program?

I'm going to be reading the instructions over the weekend.
Thanks, Chony

#118786 - 02/22/07 08:02 PM Re: Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi Chony

WinJammer is an old shareware I have had for ages. If you can not find it on the net, please mail me directly at js@jososoft.dk

But, you can use ANY MIDI sequencer sofware (Cubase, Logic, Finale, Encore etc.) for creating the MIDI part in styles.

Regards
Jørgen

------------------

#118787 - 02/22/07 08:48 PM Re: Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
chony Offline

Could you please tell me how to make a meta marker event in Cubase? Is it just a regular marker and I type in the exact information as text?

Thanks, Chony

#118788 - 02/22/07 08:53 PM Re: Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think that Cubase only supports Text meta events to create them.... (at least in VST5)

However, you should be able to record ANY events that your Yamaha sends, and then copy and paste from that point.

If you have a new Intel Mac, I imagine that the Winjammer program should work fine under Windows in BootCamp or Parallels

#118789 - 02/22/07 11:19 PM Re: Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi

A Text Marker is one of the MIDI Meta Text Events.

There actually are 9 subtypes to the Text Meta Event:
1: Text
2: Copyright
3: SequencerTrackName
4: Instrument
5: Lyric
6: Marker
7: CuePoint
8: ProgramName
9: DeviceName

A Text Marker is subtype 6.

I dont know Cubase. There must be an option for adding Text Markers; as weel as Lyrics etc.

In WinJammer it is an option in the Meta Text Event dialog box: http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/styleparts.htm

Anybody having Cubase know more about this?

Jørgen

------------------

#118790 - 02/22/07 11:23 PM Re: Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi Chony

Forgot to add link to the Cubase Forum: http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/

Jørgen

------------------

#118791 - 02/22/07 11:32 PM Re: Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi Chony

... and to the MIDI File Specification: http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midifile.htm

I noticed you have been around forum.cubase.net
The answer you have got there is NOT correct.

After having written 20+ software programs to Yamaha keyboards, I can state:
"There is absolutely no non-MIDI standard in the MIDI part of a Yamaha style file."

Regards
Jørgen

------------------

#118792 - 02/22/07 11:35 PM Re: Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

#118793 - 02/23/07 12:00 AM Re: Creating .STY files with Cubase (or other sequencer)
chony Offline

Thanks Jorgen,

I'm going away for a long weekend, but I will deffinitely take a good look at all you've posted and linked to when I get back.

Thanks, Chony.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online