SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#124126 - 02/20/07 11:32 AM updating to OS 3.0 on PA1XPRO
seanbaker Offline

Believe it nor not, I have never updated any of the operating systems. Can I update directly to 3.0 or do I need to update through each upgrade?

#124127 - 02/20/07 12:43 PM Re: updating to OS 3.0 on PA1XPRO
miden Offline

Loc: The World
i don't think so, but head over to the pa1x forum at www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ definitive answers
cheers
dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 02-20-2007).]

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 02-20-2007).]

#124128 - 02/20/07 02:35 PM Re: updating to OS 3.0 on PA1XPRO
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
yes you can update direct to version 3

#124129 - 02/20/07 03:14 PM Re: updating to OS 3.0 on PA1XPRO
Dnj Offline

Sean please share your thoughts after you upload 3.0 thanx

#124130 - 02/21/07 01:48 AM Re: updating to OS 3.0 on PA1XPRO
silva Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by seanbaker:
Can I update directly to 3.0 or do I need to update through each upgrade?

Yes, you can update directly to 3.0.

More info:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22438

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22382&postdays=0&postorde r=asc&start=60

[This message has been edited by silva (edited 02-21-2007).]

#124131 - 02/21/07 09:25 AM Re: updating to OS 3.0 on PA1XPRO
seanbaker Offline

Yes, it worked updating directly from the original operating system. My thoughts? Well, to start let me say one of the reasons I never updated before was because I don't use this keyboard for it's arranger purposes, but merely a sound engine, so most of the upates were of little concern to me. The recordable pads are neat and I may use them to sequence arps, but I generally record them as loops when I'm working on a recording project.

The main reason I updated to 3.0 ws for the piano sound. I was very excited that a new sound was being added. However, I can't seem to hear the RX qualities in it. The sample is better and smoother than the original piano sounds, but I don't hear two layers or other noises. Could just be me. In any case, I'm pleased with how this piano lays into my mixes.

My only wish is that Korg will continue to offer up more PCM sound sets for this machine. It would be nice to get some high quality solo instruments. And I would very much love a whole set devoted to high quality strings.

#124132 - 02/21/07 03:03 PM Re: updating to OS 3.0 on PA1XPRO
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
pardo me for asking sean but why buy an arranger if you dont use the aranger functions ? Thats a really expensive way to aquire new sounds . Do you use the sequencer or the sampler or create sounds yourself ? its like 90% of the instrument is of no value or purpose to you

#124133 - 02/22/07 10:02 AM Re: updating to OS 3.0 on PA1XPRO
seanbaker Offline

Good point. Originally I used it in performance, but now I use it in my home studio. Most of the arranging and sequencing I do on the computer when I record stuff I'm working on. Now I just use the PA1xPRo as a sound engine mostly. I haven't made the leap to virtual instruments yet because I enjoy the hand-on ease of working with the keyboard. I use the arranger to sequence rhythm patterns, but I don't use things like the songbook, or the style functions. I would move into a synth workstation, but I'm used to this machine.

#124134 - 02/22/07 11:21 PM Re: updating to OS 3.0 on PA1XPRO
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Spalding, I have to confess too that I'm only an occasional user of the full arranger section, maybe 30% or less of what I perform. 30% I use SMFs, and 40% I play LH bass and just use the arranger's drums.

But the reason I use an arranger instead of the workstation is that for the few times I DO need it, it is there. Particularly seanbaker's PA1XPro, this has almost a complete Triton engine, sample import etc., and has what I would consider the most workstation-like synth engine and editing capabilities.

So, very few compromises compared to an equivalent workstation, with the arranger engine FOR WHEN YOU NEED IT. However seldom that may be, it is still FAR better than any workstation's arranger capabilities.

I also am beginning to find, with most of the current TOTL arrangers, that setting up performance setups on the fly is FAR faster and easier than most workstations. I have Kurzweils and Tritons, and have used many others in the past. If I had to go out on a 'call' gig, no preparation, not knowing what I will need to play when I get there, I will take my G70 over ANY other workstation in a heartbeat.

The ease of setting up sounds, splits and layers, effects, balances, touch response, etc., etc., on the fly are of enormous importance. If I've got a week to prepare, that's MAYBE another story, but if I've got to do it NOW, I'll take the G70, thank you very much.

I feel that there are MANY good reasons to use an arranger, even if NOT for the arranger section....!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online