SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#118567 - 12/16/99 05:24 AM Sequencer on Technics KN1500
Lucky Kelly Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
It is difficult to understand the sequencer instructions in my KN1500 manual. It has been suggested that I get the "Cakewalk" software. I understand it is easier to learn even though there is still a big learning curve. Any opinions?

#118568 - 12/16/99 12:16 PM Re: Sequencer on Technics KN1500
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Uncle Dave, You are going to upset a lot of Cakewalk people, saying a $30 dollar program works better then the $300 program.You are "almost" always right, and you are right today

#118569 - 12/17/99 10:14 AM Re: Sequencer on Technics KN1500
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Uncle Dave, I have PowerTracks too, and I like many of its capabilities. One thing I was not able to do is to display recorded music in standard notation with each MIDI channel shown on a separate staff. Could you do that?

Regards, Alex

#118570 - 12/17/99 11:05 PM Re: Sequencer on Technics KN1500
Jer Offline

Loc: Delay Beach Florida
The suggestions above are excellent - but I have a different thought - look for a friend with an older Technics Model - the Kn2000 - and check out the EASY sequencing features - and the nice lights on for each channel) you will not need a computer for most editing - It's simple - its easy - it's effective - which is why I kept my Kn2000 - despite all the new models.

Jerry

#118571 - 12/18/99 06:49 AM Re: Sequencer on Technics KN1500
AndyG Offline

Loc: Wiltshire,UK
Hi,

I agree with you all. Let me clarify that!

The sequencers found on many instruments are basic - but very useful. In fact, they are of most use as scratch-pads for ideas which you may wish to develop later on. I have had a few Technics keyboards, and find their EASY RECORD very easy(!) to use - it is just like a tape recorder.

However, I use Cakewalk on a PC for real editing - if required. As Uncle Dave says, the amount, and detail of data is far better on this type of display. This is also useful as I use Cakewalk for producing .WAV files for burning to audio CD.

Now, this being said, I am an amateur player and prefer to chart my progress and technique over the years. So, I try to do as little post-production to my sequences as possible. It is interesting, and sometimes, blood curdlingly cringeworthy(!) to listen to things you have played 5 or 10 years ago..

Best Regards,

Andy.

#118572 - 12/18/99 08:14 PM Re: Sequencer on Technics KN1500
Jer Offline

Loc: Delay Beach Florida
Dave;

You are absolutely correct - in both of your postings - and I understand how sophisticated the new Cakewalk program is ( which I have) among many many others - but sometimes technology advances - backwards - and makes simple tasks much too complicated. -

I am sure that you agree you - there is a certain beauty in - simplicity - and many musical presentations become lost - because they are overdone - Those muddy sounds - that we hear too often - caused by - over instrumentation.

I really regret that you don't have a Kn2000 keyboard available for listening purposes - If anyone ever trades one in - give me a buzz - and I will send you some eye opening technics sequences - I have about 1500 of them - all created using my own system - that may surprise you greatly - when used with quality amplification -

I will match them against anything using whatever program is " State of the Art." You can be the judge!

( No they will not reproduce properly on a Kn3000 Kn5000 or Kn6000 - sorry!)

Keyboard Technology is far removed from the state where the best musical keyboard - alone - with the biggest and finest in amplification - can match the power - presence and - the overtones of live musical instruments played by even a small combination.

However - by themselves - on stage - with no live band for the audience to compare them with - they can do remarkable things - and be a great source of entertainment- if you use what is within their capabilities - and don't go beyond that.

Unfortunately many keyboard players are more interested in technical specifications - than the musicality of the instrument.

As a friend of mine keeps saying - if your audience doesn't feel the beat of the music - forget it.

Jerry

#118573 - 12/19/99 02:39 AM Re: Sequencer on Technics KN1500
Lucky Kelly Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
To all of you who responded to my question:

Thanks for the info. You have given me a lot to think about. Have a wonderful holiday.

Lucky

#118574 - 12/29/99 09:15 AM Re: Sequencer on Technics KN1500
Larry Cohan Offline

Lucky,

If you want to know how to use Cakewalk to convert Technics music to General Midi, then see http://users.erols.com/lcohan/technics/

Larry

#118575 - 12/29/99 10:55 AM Re: Sequencer on Technics KN1500
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I tape myself a lot in live performance. The best sounding one ever is from 1995, using KN2000, Digitech Vocalist II, with piano module. Some of the later ones are cleaner, fuller, sound more like the "original", but often lack the energy and spontaneity. All that said, I can't wait to see what's next!
Don

#118576 - 07/27/06 05:34 PM Re: Sequencer on Technics KN1500
toots Offline

Hi kelly, how did you go with you kn1500 quiree. Mine is very similar, Where i want to play the auto acc and record it on to logic, cakewalk to create a midi file. I was once able to do it but now i cant. i can get midi note but i cant get the programme numbers to come up in logic.

Anyway when this was working all i did was export the midi file then re import and my 16 track midi file was created on seperate tracks.

Thanks

Anthony

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online