#118544 - 02/05/06 07:19 PM Reviews From Keyboard Player Magazine
JimP Offline

Loc: Richfield, Ohio USA
[This message has been edited by JimP (edited 02-17-2006).]

#118545 - 02/05/06 09:48 PM Re: Reviews From Keyboard Player Magazine
nielshs Offline

Hi Jim

Thanks for the links.

BTW. The review of the G-70 is based on the version 1.10 and not the new OS2.0. The OS2.0 includes some new exceptional futures e.g. Guitar Mode, Style Converter and the use of the SRX expansion boards sounds in styles/midifiles.

Regards
Niels

#118546 - 02/06/06 02:28 AM Re: Reviews From Keyboard Player Magazine
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Great links to some very informative reviews.
Thanks
Bernie

#118547 - 02/07/06 03:48 AM Re: Reviews From Keyboard Player Magazine
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
JimP. Well done. Thank you for the reviews, they are very much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 02-07-2006).]

#118548 - 02/07/06 08:03 AM Re: Reviews From Keyboard Player Magazine
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
JimP,

Thanks for the reviews. As I will be getting a Midjay in the near future, I found the review to be loaded with very valuable info.

Thanks again,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#118549 - 02/07/06 08:13 AM Re: Reviews From Keyboard Player Magazine
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-08-2006).]

#118550 - 02/07/06 09:56 AM Re: Reviews From Keyboard Player Magazine
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Thanks JimP for posting the Keyboard reviews of the Roland G-70, Ketron Midjay and the Yamaha Tyros2.

The Tyros2 has exceeded all my expectations.

I used to make music using an assortment of sound modules and keyboards all sequenced using Sonar/Mackie Control running on Windows XP via a 24in/24out MIDI network comprising of 3 Emagic AMT8 Multiport/Multiclient MIDI interfaces.

One may say that I am a Korg fan by observing the Korg N1R, SG-Rack, TR-Rack, Triton-Rack modules and O1/W, Wavestation EX, i30 keyboards and the D1600 digital multitrack. I also use the Yamaha Motif Rack and the Roland XV5050 Rack. I found the voices and effects so useful, I use two of each. For polishing the final sound I use the Sony DPS-R7 as my master reverb.

The audio paths are all mixed via 3 Mackie Mixers and summed to stereo and recorded, mastered and finalized on an Alesis Masterlink hard disk recorder.

Over the past year I was searching for an Arranger Workstation to replace my Korg i30. I researched deeply into the Korg Pa1Xpro, the Roland G70 and the Yamaha Tyros2. My primary consideration was the quality of the styles. I was lucky to have a local music store that stocked all three and I played at length on each board gradually getting to know their strengths and weaknesses.

I also came very close to buying the Yamaha Clavinova CVP-309PE from our local Yamaha dealership.

At the end of my search, I opted for the Tyros2.

Having a collection of sound modules at my disposal for making rich multilayers, I was more interested in the quality of the backing tracks. This is where the Tyros2 excelled. The factory styles had the right degree of authenticity, playability, creativity and sounded like a polished CD. This is no garage band backup. This is like playing with a group of studio musicians in a recording session.

I am amazed at the amount of detail you hear when you play the Tyros2 through a high end surround sound setup. Every part is in perfect balance and every effect has been tweaked and tailored to make it just right. This is one of those rare instruments where the natural voices have not been drowned with excessive reverb. The factory settings are picture perfect. The samples shine on their own.

Yamaha fine tuned all the styles to take advantage of their Super Articulated Voices and to my ears the new styles sounded better than the CVP-309PE.

Besides the polished styles, the Super Articulated Voices were the added bonus that tilted me firmly towards the Tyros2. The Super Articulated Saxophones, Trumpets, Concert Guitars and Strings are unique to the Tyros2 in the world of workstations. They sounded more expressive and real than the top of the line CVP-309GP. I compared them with the Korg OASYS which too is in my wish list, and the Korg emulations fell short.

Once you master the technique of playing these Super Articulated Voices, it becomes addictive and fun. If you want them, the Tyros2 is the only game in town.

I have heard that Yamaha is working on their next generation Clavinova which will carry these Super Articulated Voices. At that point I may sell my Tyros2 and get the top of the line Clavinova.

What you get with the Clavinova is the sheer ethereal touch of an acoustic piano with its new Natural Keyboard Mechanism that uses interlocking counterweights and levers. This goes beyond the GH3 graded hammer action keyboard. You also get that beautiful Grand Piano Voice meticulously sampled across 88 keys that is a joy to play. However, for a gigging musician this is impractical. The Tyros2 with its 61 keys, light weight, snazzy looks and form factor makes the perfect companion.

Since I bought the Tyros2, I have had so much fun I have not even fired up Sonar or played on any other modules. I just don’t feel the need to augment the built in voices of the Tyros2. This is one complete instrument. Every voice just blends in perfectly to build a rich fine grained texture. Forget working with Sonar recording one track at a time. I can now call up any song in the Music Finder, engage OTS, start easy record, play the chords and leads all in one pass and you have a finished song.

This makes life so incredibly simple. Music making has never been so much fun. When you consider the quality of the styles, the Super Articulated Voices, the big and bright display, the simple user interface and elegant ergonomics and stunning looks, you cannot but recommend this Arranger wholeheartedly to your friends.

As a bonus it doubles as a mighty fine renderer of GM2, GS and XG MIDI Files that you can download off the net.

If someone wants to buy a state of the art Arranger, I would say get the Tyros2. For under three grand, this is the best deal in the business.

Tapas

[This message has been edited by Tapas (edited 02-07-2006).]

#118551 - 02/07/06 10:33 AM Re: Reviews From Keyboard Player Magazine
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Im very impressed that u feel the tyros2 need not stand aside to the oasys. I have played the pa1x g70 and tyros1. From your comments i already know i will love the tyros2 when i get a chance to play one.

#118552 - 02/07/06 12:43 PM Re: Reviews From Keyboard Player Magazine
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-08-2006).]

#118553 - 02/07/06 03:57 PM Re: Reviews From Keyboard Player Magazine
MrEd Offline

Jim and Tapas

Thank you both for info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online