SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#118088 - 04/09/05 03:12 PM Re: New more organic track up
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Alone and forsaken, what exactly do you want to get out of this forum ? Others have pointed out to you that it is an arranger forum. The musicians here use arrangers. We compose on them and perform using them and have an interest in them. What is your interestin this particular forum if you dont genuinely use arranger keyboards? As wide as you may view arranger discussion forums,this forum maybe peculiar in that we look at arrangers as in the keyboard type rather than simply "arranging music".Our creativity is channeled through these instruments hence our interest and participation in the forum

These are my observations as a junior member who owns and uses an arranger keyboard.

i am not trying to be a smart alec. Just trying to figure where we can find some kind of mutual interest here.

#118089 - 04/09/05 08:12 PM Re: New more organic track up
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"Alone and forsaken, what exactly do you want to get out of this forum ? Others have pointed out to you that it is an arranger forum. The musicians here use arrangers. We compose on them and perform using them and have an interest in them. What is your interestin this particular forum if you dont genuinely use arranger keyboards?"

Completely honestly I get much out of this forum. Point blank there are a few members here that OWN music stores, members that go to the music tradeshows like clockwork. So in general right there is a wealth of information. Plus I enjoy watching members get new keyboards or gear...then perhaps getting a review of it or better yet the collective view on it.

Past that I cant say I have any friends on the boards but there are members I just enjoy reading their posts...be it a new gig they got, if their debating buying a restraunt, all kinds of stuff. From time to time I might toss in a word " yay " or "dont do it."

Only I do tend to get in conflicts more then most members on the board with well...a lot of members on the board so it seems. Perhaps because I respond to stuff I shouldn't in the first place...and haven't learned the art of only going "Gurrr Mad " and leaving it at that.

"As wide as you may view arranger discussion forums,this forum maybe peculiar in that we look at arrangers as in the keyboard type rather than simply "arranging music".Our creativity is channeled through these instruments hence our interest and participation in the forum "

Yeah your right I do find it odd in a way. Yet your last sentence gives me a bit more perspective.

"These are my observations as a junior member who owns and uses an arranger keyboard. "

no worries...

"i am not trying to be a smart alec. Just trying to figure where we can find some kind of mutual interest here."

I think we already have some mutual interest here. HAHAHA just given our mutual interest in part leads us to spending much time alone constructing songs. You do it with an arranger, I do it with a recorder. Only I will say this there are a few songs ive done directly inspired by what you arranger players do.

Such as "F-Zero GX" that I just posted up at the link...
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4453&alid=-1

Its a basic bass line/melody/drumloop and perhaps an example I do relate to you guys a bit and that you rub off on me more then you think.

#118090 - 04/09/05 11:35 PM Re: New more organic track up
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
thanks for that Alone and forsaken. I also record using normal methods (whenever time permits) but i use an arranger because i can reconfigure songs that i perform with my church choir (black Gospel music ) very quickly. I use only my own patterns with original bass lines chords etc. It allows me to try out several different grooves to a song actually in real time so i can instantly gauge how the choir are feeling the song and make adjustments on the fly.I can transpose a song instantly (without using the buttons) or completely reconfigure the song adding chorus, or altering the bridge etc "live" . This just could not be done with a standard workstation. When i know how the choir is responding to the progressions i then record it again instantly on board the instrument and can immediately relay the style that i want to any live musicians that i want to get involved.

Thats why i think arranger keyboards specifically have a clear advantage over other types of work stations and thats what makes them unique in the array of musical instruments.

#118091 - 04/10/05 04:49 AM Re: New more organic track up
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Part of the problem is you didn't fill out your profile, we don't know your age, your occupation, where you're from, your influences so what have you got to hide?
I would like to know if english is your first language because alot of your phrases don't make any sense. "Gurrr Mad " what does that mean?
And yes as the name states this is an arranger keyboard forum run by, for and with users of arranger type keyboards. Do you think you will make friends by coming here and posting negative things about arranger keyboards?
Alot of your comments are rude and arrogant, and lack maturity and we have yet to see anything from you that would help us forgive or explain any of your attitude.
We try to welcome new people into this forum no matter what their musical preference, but attitude we can do without. We like to try and treat each other with respect and common sense, and with a little civility.
Maybe your attitude has alot to do with why your are alone and foresaken.

#118092 - 04/10/05 08:48 AM Re: New more organic track up
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gloves off.

You know what would really be great? If everyone stuck to keyboard instruments as a topic; arranger keyboards, workstation keyboards, analogue modeling keyboards, Hammond wannabe keyboards, whatever. Just keyboards.

How about everyone stop trying to push others buttons just to get a reaction. DAMN!

Nigel was nice enough to create a new forum called 'The Bar' for those that wanted to talk about non-music related topics. Maybe he should create another forum called 'Be a jerk for the heck of it' where people can bash each other for no real reason but still have the satisfaction of the entire world having the ability to view their rants.

At first in this thread, I thought The Pro was wrong for being negative toward Alone's song styles. No my cup of tea either, but that is no reason to put someone else’s work down. I still think he was wrong, but then Alone started getting mouthy as well and then it became obvious that this is just a pissing contest as someone else pointed out.

Why clutter up this forum with this kind of stuff?

OK, back to work. Dave

#118093 - 04/10/05 08:58 AM Re: New more organic track up
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I agree with Dave

"At first in this thread, I thought The Pro was wrong for being negative toward Alone's song styles. No my cup of tea either, but that is no reason to put someone else’s work down. I still think he was wrong, but then Alone started getting mouthy as well and then it became obvious that this is just a pissing contest as someone else pointed out."

#118094 - 04/10/05 11:44 AM Re: New more organic track up
Anonymous
Unregistered

It should be about the music, that's what I'm saying. Because of new technologies, more and more people are getting into music creation. Computer based software, arranger keyboards, etc. have opened up music creation for those who may otherwise not have the training or ability to enjoy making music on their own. And that is great. It doesn't matter how the music is created or what medium is used, or what the chosen music genre happens to be. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, or promote others to hurt our planet or fellow living beings, then go for it.

Short story:
Back when I was 18 years old the band I was in got booked at a bar that was shall we say, very white. We didn't know this until we got there to set up. It wasn't really a problem for me or the guitar player, but the drummer was this little black kid of 16 years old. As soon as he walked in the door it was like a movie. The juke box stopped and every head in the place turned to the front door. Being the trooper that Eddie was, he carried his kick drum in, sat it on the stage and went out to get the next load. You could tell a lot of the crowd was not real thrilled to say the least.

Here is the cool part. Once we were set up and started playing, it took 2 songs for the crowd to forget about anything other than the music. And when it came to the end of the night, several of the 'jaw to the floor' guys came up and said how good we were and offered to help carry our equipment out. That is what music should accomplish.

The point is, I have always loved music and am thankful that I can play an instrument and that there are those who actually enjoy hearing what I have to say musically. Music should make you feel good. And music related things should generate the same emotions.

So when you find yourself wanting to say something negative against another forum member, how about thinking about the music instead?

Dave

#118095 - 04/10/05 11:51 PM Re: New more organic track up
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
imho wdmcm has hit it...(i dont post alot here and am only a junior member, with not much in my profile because of my security concerns with the the internet) ..making disparaging remarks in a totally destructive manner about someone elses creativity is not on in my book and is not giving them a fair go .the music is also not really my taste BUT there are some really interesting musical points in some of the guy's work, which if you listen with non-biased objective ears and hearts you might also hear.....as muso's we have a common bond that binds us probably greater than any of the other arts. diff'ren strokes!! an all that..imho i think "the pro" has perhaps backed himself into a corner from which he feels there is no escape...and that is a shame, and is very sad, anyhoo off my soapbox..as a junior member i should perhaps be more circumspect!!!

peace, out

#118096 - 04/11/05 02:00 PM Re: New more organic track up
Alone&Forsaken Offline

Lots of stuff for me to reply to...nothing negative. If anything a bit of my music past will spring into this in relation to what spalding posted. Kinda cool stuff I think. Just not right now.

One quick thing about this " pissing " contest...I dint mean for it to come off that way, just in a topic that I removed ( cause I have a habit of clearing the old when I post something new as to not flood the boards )...I was told that " my recordings were horrid crap and the worst thing this year " ( not exact quote ). So I reacted to that a bit LOL I dont think ive got the best stuff ever...but outright just to trash everything with nothing but bad intent was a bit much. Then my next topic I get much the same thing...while the names of people I directed the song to and the fact I stated I would post more keyboard driven stuff was ignored.

Anyhow ( with no attitude ) back to spalding. I think its really cool you play for a church and in part it was a musician much like you that got me into playing piano. As the church I went to almost always had a grand on stage that would be played for our hymns, after sermons sometimes I would have the chance to talk to the player and sometimes even play the grand! Many people we knew at that time had uprights in their house that I could play whenever I happened to be at one of their houses. Just lots of stuff...this lead up to me getting a keyboard from my parents ( little monophonic digital casio...one that would have dots bounce around the lcd keyboard screen to show the melody lines ). Then had one of those Magnus reed organs with the casio hahaha and at the time there used to be children's books that would have a little keyboard pasted to them and you could read the story and play notes on it so that was mixed in with everything. Beyond that throughout childhood...just had lots of instruments many toys, some perhaps with more merit then toys, and it all progressed to " real " instruments as time went on. Oh random childhood hero of mine was Paul Schaffer from the David letterman show ( forgive name spelling ) hahaha and to this day he is still one of the coolest key players to me regardless of what I happen to do.

So spalding...odds are a kid in your church REALLY digs what you do, so if ever you have a kid come up to you...treat them how you would want to be treated if your places were flipped ( only I think you know and have prob done this already ).

Guess this kinda goes back ( for me ) what these boards have to offer me...people like Mr. D and their love of the new Casio line brings me nostalgia and something to blah blah blah about. The players here that do shows for retirement homes...I respect that and love the fact someone is doing it. My grandfather passed away just over a year ago...and I know the music he loved brought him some comfort in his last days at the hospital ( my mother and I sung him Hank Williams songs best we could...cause it was really hard as we knew his time on this earth wasn't long ).

Perhaps I haven't let on that I do have a level of respect for members here...and to be honest part of the reason I haven't directly shown it is cause I feel sometimes words I offer and music I post up is ignored taken for granted or just disrespected. I have as much in common with members here as I dont...in many ways I might even be a counter point to what many members goals and ambitions are. Just with that I feel the things we dont have in common at times can be of use to members here, cause not to be any sort of way only sometimes I think " Man if they combined the stuff they do...with some of the stuff I focus on they would do some badass stuff " maybe that works in reverse or maybe Im a jerk for thinking such things.

#118097 - 04/11/05 10:05 PM Re: New more organic track up
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Now that's the side of you I like to hear from.
Like many others, I'm just not responding to any of the bashing and negativity.
DonM

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online