SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#117742 - 01/02/01 08:57 PM Re: B-4 native instriments help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Uncle Dave,

I assume that item you are referring to is the B-4 Native Instruments software package. I called the closest Guitar Center to me, San Bernadino, and he didn't show it in inventory. I am not sure he knew what he was looking for. Anyway, which Guitar Center were you able to find this for less than $150.00?

Thanks,
Jack

------------------

#117743 - 01/03/01 04:32 AM Re: B-4 native instriments help
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Fairless Hills / Oxford Vally Pa
on Business rt1 north of Langhorne Pa
about 5 miles north of exit 28 on the PA tpk.
Ask for Elliot, the mgr. and tell him you know he already sold one at that price.

#117744 - 01/05/01 08:43 PM Re: B-4 native instriments help
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
After reading good reviews here on the B4 software, I uninstalled my demo version and downloaded a fresh copy. This new demo version works better. This one I can play in real time, the other one I never could. This one gets some notes stuck ocassionally, the other one could play 2 notes simultaneous max, probaly due to my older PC.

I am planning to set the full version on a better PC and would appreciate answers on on the following:

1. Appx Cost of physical modules to do as drawbars, suggestions, even if not verified.
How do they connect?

2. Looks like one can use two sets of keyboards, would probably get a MIDI controller board only, and would use it below the PSR-740. Suggestions, number of keys, real time controls? Programable MIDI command switches?

3. Pedals. Can they be used?

4. How to hook the second keyboard to the PC?

5. How to hook the pedals (I assume MIDI) to the PC?

6. Amplified instrument speakers hooked to the PC, a reasonable model? I think this is required since the amplified speakers I use don't seem to be good enough for the B4 sound.

7. Set up would be only for self use, not portable. Cost must be reasonable.

8. Uncle Dave: I figure if one gets software non-direct, one still is entitled to download upgrades? I saw they want a password. Were you OK'd to upgrade from their website? Are you using Windows98, Milenium? Or perhaps Mac?

Thanks for the replies.

#117745 - 01/06/01 09:29 AM Re: B-4 native instriments help
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
YOU ASKED:
8. Uncle Dave: I figure if one gets software non-direct, one still is entitled to download upgrades? I saw they want a password. Were you OK'd to upgrade from their website? Are you using Windows98, Milenium? Or perhaps Mac?

***Yes, you are intitled to all factory befifits if you purchase for an authorised reseller. I haven't gone to the website yet - and i am using Win95 on a 200Mhz PC with 64Mb RAM. It's even below the recommendatins, and it works great.

#117746 - 01/15/01 05:03 PM Re: B-4 native instriments help
mbl Offline

I re-did my PC to Pentium II at 400MHZ, Win98, and the B4 demo works great.

I ordered the B4 from Musicians Friend last week for $150 from the web.

In reserching B3's etc., I found this VERY interesting site on the history of synths:
-------------------------------- http://www.newmusicbox.orgthird-person/oct99/keyboard.html
--------------------------------
Did you guys know that the first synth, the TELHARMONIUM was delivered to NYC in 30 railroad cars and it filled a building?

(talk about removing speakers for less weight? This one used no speakers, tube amps were not yet invented.)

Thanks to all.

mbl

#117747 - 01/15/01 05:11 PM Re: B-4 native instriments help
mbl Offline

The correct web address is:
http://www.newmusicbox.org/third-person/oct99/keyboard.html

Sorry, a slash is missing in above post.

mbl

#117748 - 01/31/01 05:36 AM Re: B-4 native instriments help
pschimmel Offline

Loc: Stevenage,Herts,England
I have a PSR740 and gig it together with a Hammond XM-1. I can't say how this compares to the B4, but it does give you a real box you can kick and drawbars you can pull, sound is pretty good too. I also have a Hammond T-500 which is their last tonewheel organ and the XM-1 compares favourably, but doesn't have that nice smell of warm oil after an hour or so!

The PSR740 isn't the ideal master keyboard because midi configuration data is not stored as part of the user presets. The best way I have found so far to have access to both PSR and Hammond sounds is to dedicate R2 setting to drive the external module and mute R2's sound in the PSR's mixer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The PSR's own drawbars are OK and an improvemnet over the PSR8000, but not in the top league. Sound 40 (electric organ) is also useful for some things.

Good luck

Paul

#117749 - 01/31/01 02:37 PM Re: B-4 native instriments help
mbl Offline

I am now VERY happy with the B4. I upgraded it at the Native Instruments site and MANY important functions can now be triggered with the computer keyboard. The spacebar, for instance, toggles F/S rotor speed.

Part of my computer upgrading was a MS 'internet' keyboard. Well, that keyboard has -/+ VOLUME control buttons, so I can now lower the sound-card volume from the computer keyboard (very nice).

In the 740, I set R1 to ORGAN FLUTES and lower the flutes to zero, effectively obtaining a SILENT VOICE (credit to Dr. Simon at PK forum). So now I can use autoac of the 740 piped INTO the computer, and the foot volume in control the SILENT voice.

In the B40, the modulation wheel toggles f/s rotor speed also.

The REGISTRATION buttons are recognized by the B4 but I am stil working on other things before I figure what the B4 wants and whether or not the PSR can send it, else I'll get a Peavy or something.

I find that MIDI cables, sound cables,MODEM, MONITOR, speaker cables, mouse, keyboard, printer, TV antenna, scussi scanner, mic, etc. are TOO MANY in 8"SQUARE, and a loose cable can cause noise at higher volume levels. So I am gradually going into universal bus which can now connect many MIDI ports and most newer pc stuff.

To me, the PSR-740 organ voices sound like TOY voices (through the same sound card and speakers), compared to the B4 sounds!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online