Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#117671 - 12/16/06 07:55 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I would love to see manufacturers add some kind of global 'offset' to the reverb depth parameter (maybe placed with the overall mastering EQ and compression which doesn't change with registrations/UPGs) to allow you to dial out a bit of overall reverb when you play in very 'bright' rooms, and add in a little for 'dead' ones.

It's easy to make room adjustments with global EQ, but reverb needs can change dramatically from one gig to the next, with no global way of changing it......

I have played on alot of technics KN boards, yamahas, and this has never been a problem. every style from the factory already has reverb and effects set to each channel in the style. you can easily in the mixer go and turn the knobs up or down...

I guess before you do the gig, set all the styles up first and then way you go. with the Tyros 2, if you hold down 1 button and adjust the data entry wheel, it will globally turn all the knobs on the entire row of that style or midi file...

example: go to "mixing console"
tab over to the "efffect" page. then hold down the "H" button and turn the data entry wheel at the same time and booyaaa, all the knobs for the "reverb" are adjusted simultaneously.

Scott Yee showed that to me...

not sure if it could be done on the PSR3000 or any most other brands?

[This message has been edited by Nick G (edited 12-16-2006).]

#117672 - 12/17/06 02:30 AM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Dikki
If I understand correctly you wish to set up separate global reverb programs (Or the facilities to easily adjust it) for different venues, if this is the case then Wersi OAS instruments have this feature, and you can also store your settings for each venue. The same can also be done with the EQ.
Hope this helps

Bill

#117673 - 12/17/06 01:03 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
NickG..... there isn't enough time to do this for each and every time you change registrations, this is why I'd like to see just an offset. Depending on whether you are in a big bright room or a small dead one, I usually find that the reverb needs to be tweaked quite a bit, although being close to the monitors you may not notice it as much yourself, your audience gets a VERY different sound out in the room.

Abacus.... So you are saying that you only have to store a global reverb setting, and all programs that have ANY reverb in them will refer to this setting without having to re-write ALL your programs.....?

Nice solution, although I'm unsure how it deals with setups that use a Hall setting for one song and a Plate (or whatever) for another. Do they still refer to the Global reverb we just set up?

I still think a global OFFSET parameter tied to the style and keyboard's Reverb Depth parameters would be best, as it would not change the reverb type, only it's depth, on a setup by setup basis. Simple, effective...... Now who'll be the first to implement it....? (probably Domenik!)

#117674 - 12/17/06 01:59 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
If it is just the depth you wish to change, then on the Wersi Main Screen just press the Effects Tab and adjust the depth with the onscreen slider, and when you’re happy just touch the Main Tab on the Screen to bring you back.
Whether it changes with the presets etc is entirely up to you, (You just set it up the way you require)
Hope this helps

Bill

#117675 - 12/17/06 02:11 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
Nick G Offline

Quote:
NickG..... there isn't enough time to do this for each and every time you change registrations, this is why I'd like to see just an offset. Depending on whether you are in a big bright room or a small dead one, I usually find that the reverb needs to be tweaked quite a bit, although being close to the monitors you may not notice it as much yourself, your audience gets a VERY different sound out in the room.

u set the global reverbs to your reg banks before you do the gig... im sure before everyone plays for a gig they do this? i sure do... its really no hassal.

I guess in most cases you are usually taking a close guess to what the your reverb should be depending on the sixe of the hall, number of ppl etc. there will probably always be an occasion where your reverb might not be set right. i guess in between breaks u can set it up...

#117676 - 12/17/06 02:40 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
Diki Offline

The T2's effects section is very different from Roland's system, I'm not sure I'm understanding you, NickG. Are you saying each registration in the T2 points to a bank of Reverb presets, that if you edit them, will be still be pointed to the same ones? Or do you edit them, and then tell the registrations to point to the new presets?

As long as you don't have too many different reverb types and presets used by the registrations, this would work well......

abacus..... so there is a reverb overall depth control on the main mixer? But it resets when you change registrations, doesn't it? My G70 has that, but changes as soon as I change UPGs. Can you put a 'lock' onto a mixer parameter?

I guess all I would like to see is a knob in the Global section that just said 'Dryer/Wetter' and it would offset EVERY reverb called up without any further attention. If it involves a whole lot more than that, or forces you to use a Global reverb rather that the tailored. per-registration one you so carefully worked out, it might be more trouble than it's worth, but I'm glad to see that SOME manufacturers try to address this sonic problem.

#117677 - 12/17/06 02:46 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
Nick G Offline

Quote:
The T2's effects section is very different from Roland's system, I'm not sure I'm understanding you, NickG. Are you saying each registration in the T2 points to a bank of Reverb presets, that if you edit them, will be still be pointed to the same ones? Or do you edit them, and then tell the registrations to point to the new presets?

As long as you don't have too many different reverb types and presets used by the registrations, this would work well......

abacus..... so there is a reverb overall depth control on the main mixer? But it resets when you change registrations, doesn't it? My G70 has that, but changes as soon as I change UPGs. Can you put a 'lock' onto a mixer parameter?

I guess all I would like to see is a knob in the Global section that just said 'Dryer/Wetter' and it would offset EVERY reverb called up without any further attention. If it involves a whole lot more than that, or forces you to use a Global reverb rather that the tailored. per-registration one you so carefully worked out, it might be more trouble than it's worth, but I'm glad to see that SOME manufacturers try to address this sonic problem.

once you edit them, you have to re save the reg bank. all im saying is you can adjsut reverb and other effects globally instead of just a single part. you can do one or the other.

like i said, one turn of the data entry wheel can simultaneously turn all the reverb knobs for the entire style or midi file.

in the yamaha mixer you have 8 channels per page, u can turn all 8 knobs in one hit.

#117678 - 12/17/06 03:13 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
Diki Offline

OK, thanks, I think I get it.

My G70's mixer has an overall reverb depth parameter, too, but it is keyboard parts only. To change the reverb depth on style and SMF parts, that's another page altogether because there is a completely different reverb and effects section for them....

Just wish there was 'One ring to rule them all.....'

#117679 - 12/17/06 07:22 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I guess all I would like to see is a knob in the Global section that just said 'Dryer/Wetter' and it would offset EVERY reverb called up without any further attention.

This may be a bit simplistic, but, being that almost all keyboard amps have a reverb knob on them, would it not be simpler to just go through everything in the keyboard and kill all the various reverbs, then adjust the degree of reverb required or not required by virtue of the master reverb knob on your amp?

#117680 - 12/17/06 08:30 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
Nick G Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by renig:
This may be a bit simplistic, but, being that almost all keyboard amps have a reverb knob on them, would it not be simpler to just go through everything in the keyboard and kill all the various reverbs, then adjust the degree of reverb required or not required by virtue of the master reverb knob on your amp?

that makes alot of sense, most of the time when you play live, the keyboard feeds through a mixer that has a reverb slider/knob built in.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online