SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#117701 - 12/21/06 10:51 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
your absolutely right travelineasy. I have just finished a similar discussion on the korg forum. People are spending perhaps up to 80% of the value of their knew purchase on features that they already have and have never used ,styles and sounds they already have and will use very rarely if at all just to acquire " newer or the latest technology" and still not play the instrument any better or understand it any better. Thats why open systems in theory sound interesting to me but thats another discussion.

#117702 - 12/22/06 11:41 AM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But all the new features get wrapped up in an arranger that sounds better than the previous one. So even if you don't use your arranger to the fullest, you buy a new one, you STILL sound better! Brilliant....!

As I said, thank God manufacturers don't build arrangers for the way most people use them. Your PSR3000 would never have come out, because, according to you, 90% of the users of the PREVIOUS PSR didn't use the features it had, and so on, ad infinitum. Why should Yamaha provide ANY advanced features that you use, if no-one else does? THAT'S the gist of your argument...? Might as well take the top and bottom 2 or 3 notes off of all pianos, given how seldom they are played!

Pros use the features they need AT THE TIME.... If the EQ isn't necessary to sound good, why learn it (it'll make you sound better, but better than what?)? If it IS necessary, they learn it..... Playing well is, of course, far more important than knowing every single esoteric feature, but trust me, most working pros know enough to make themselves a living. The truth of the matter is (and Fran's debacle on the MS just emphasizes this) having the most expensive arranger on your block doesn't make you a better player, and even knowing it's OS inside and out doesn't help THAT...... You've got to practice, practice, practice!

Most pros probably just learn enough of the OS to suit their professional need, and worry more about the important stuff..... you know - repertoire, playing skills, entertainment skills. Can't find out about any of that in the PSR Manual!

#117703 - 12/22/06 01:19 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess from my perspective Diki, the manufacturers have an ongoing pissing contest--just like car manufacturers. Kinda' like mine's bigger and better than yours attitude, therefore, if you don't buy mine you don't have the best.

I guess I'm sort of a nut case when it comes to exploring every aspect of the keyboard. Same holds true with every other piece of equipment I own. If it has something, I want to know what it is, how it works, and what benefits it provides.

However, I agree that playing ability, entertainment capability, lots of other individual characteristics, and your ability to deliver them to your audiences is the most important component of the end product--entertainment. Without it, the best keyboard in the world is worthless.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#117704 - 12/22/06 01:43 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Totally agree, Gary....

Arranger manufacturers are not necessarily bringing out new models for the owners of the previous model. They know that maybe SOME of them will switch, especially if they put in some new sounds and a practical new feature or two, but primarily they are going after owners of much earlier models that have been waiting to switch, and owners of other manufacturer's models that want something better, newer, etc..

I'm a full-time pro, can afford what I want, pretty much, but even I waited for the G70 to come out before replacing my G1000, and skipped the whole V/VA series. Didn't need what they offered, liked what I had..... But the G70 finally offered what I needed, so I made the change (despite the lack of chord sequencer!).

I don't think I am untypical. FAR more players skip a model or two than HAVE to have the latest model NOW....

#117705 - 12/22/06 06:06 PM Re: Something interesting Yamaha PSR 3000
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
just curious but what are u a full time pro at Diki?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online