SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#117472 - 02/22/06 02:47 PM Re: My Ketron Midjay is here!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by captain Russ:
[B]This finally got my attention. Excuse the redundancy if this has been covered elsewhere, but did I read that styles could not be edited? Believe it or not, folks, Im still using a 10 plus year old MS 60. Was thinking about the new SD-5, but this may be the ticket. I have two recurring jobs, and I could leave a controller at both and transport the Midjay.

Any downside to using Midjay? What do we give up?[QUOTE]

Russ, of course there are some downsides. I'm certain I will discover more as I get deeper into using it.
A couple that I've run across so far are:

1: The vocal harmonizer (which I don't even have yet) is a Vocoder. It reproduces the notes you play on the keyboard. No chord recognition, no female gender, no gimmicks.
2: The fills do not repeat when you hold the button down or activate them from the footswitch. They do on the SD1.
3: The screen is rather small, but can be connected to an external screen. That sort of defeats the purpose of the small package though.
4. The Styles can be edited as to voice, effects, volumes, panning, but can't be created.
5. You must have a light shining on the Midjay if you play in a dark location. Otherwise, you'd better remember which little button does what.
6. While the mic has dedicated e.q. (a step up from the SD1), you can only adjust the amount of the reverb and/or echo. They can't be edited or changed. They are good though.
7. When you go into RECORD mode, the mic goes "dry". You must open the mic screen and move the effects control a little to turn them back on. A.J. says it was designed that way on purpose, but I can't for the life of me understand what possible benefit it would have. Maybe they can address it in a future upgrade if enough people complain.

So far, the pluses very much outweigh the drawbacks, for me at least.

DonM

#117473 - 02/22/06 03:37 PM Re: My Ketron Midjay is here!
Dnj Offline

The Good OUTWEIGHS the BAD on the MJ for sure IMO...its multi versatility is unsurpassed & is its strenght, besides the KILLER SOUND!. We can nitpick it to death as we do the Tyros KB etc etc and everything else....no unit is for everyone....YOU HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS, FOR YOU ALONE..

#117474 - 02/22/06 03:51 PM Re: My Ketron Midjay is here!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Russ,
apparently you can't record styles from scratch.
I was trying to decide between a Midjay & the SD1 plus. In the end I opted for the SD1 as I didn't require some of the Midjay functions & I do like fiddling round with styles, so the SD1 was better suited.

Had I bought the Midjay, I would have also bought EMC Styleworks program ( with the Plus Package) to either convert styles across from other keyboards or create styles using a pc sequencer.
Anyway I ended up updating my EMC Yamaha to Universal & bought the Plus Package.

I've tried it with a couple of my Yammie styles. It seems to convert the variations & fills ok , but it does muck up some of the Intro's & Endings (mainly the minor version)
I can use the plus package for list edit, which allows me to alter notes & data & delete them, but it doesn't appear I can add additional notes or data.

One thing I find really annoying is that emc deletes controller 11 ( expression ) data from psr to sd conversion. Real pain if an intro/ending has a fade in or out.

When loading an sd1 style into EMC, the expression data stays intact except for the expression data that falls on the first tick of the clock. Again can be a nusiance.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
This finally got my attention. Excuse the redundancy if this has been covered elsewhere, but did I read that styles could not be edited? Believe it or not, folks, Im still using a 10 plus year old MS 60. Was thinking about the new SD-5, but this may be the ticket. I have two recurring jobs, and I could leave a controller at both and transport the Midjay.

Any downside to using Midjay? What do we give up?

Sorry for being so uninformed.

"old school" Russ

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#117475 - 02/23/06 04:27 AM Re: My Ketron Midjay is here!
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
The Midjay is perfect for what I need at this moment. And one of the biggest plusses for me is it's weight. I don't have anything light. Rock on.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#117476 - 02/23/06 11:10 AM Re: My Ketron Midjay is here!
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
I got rid of my PA-80, Tyros 2 & do not use laptop anymore. My setup is just the MidJay , controller & Bose PAS. More than enough for my performance needs. You'll love it's features & versatility.
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#117477 - 02/23/06 11:47 AM Re: My Ketron Midjay is here!
Dnj Offline

Jimmy I appreciate the help you gave me when I got started using the MJ......its working out so much better then I could have imagined on stage....
hope your doing well

take care

Donny

#117478 - 02/23/06 01:13 PM Re: My Ketron Midjay is here!
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
My pleasure Donny. I've learned & still learning a lot from this forum especially from people like you. Sorry, i seldom posts due to my very hectic schedules. Father's willing, when i retire or semi-retire & focus on music, i'll be very active on this wonderful forum.
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online