SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#117274 - 06/24/01 10:43 AM SD1 reports
johndee Offline

Hi, can those of you that have the SD1 post some reports, as I have one on order and need some feedback.
Ciao, John

#117275 - 06/28/01 06:12 PM Re: SD1 reports
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello John,
Here are a few really important features with SD1 .
Play midi sequence and instantly remove the bass part with the manual bass button . The bass sound is assigned to the split point and performers can play their own bass parts !
Instantly have all parts of sequnce turned off accept for drums and bass . This is very handy . I would have to delete parts ahead off time with my X1 .
The piano sample itself is very , very good !
Incredible vocal sounds and Orchestral sounds .
6 gig hard drive . Plenty of storage !
The vocal kit in my opinion has been improved over X1 . Great keyboard .
Dan O oneils4@home.com

#117276 - 06/29/01 10:30 AM Re: SD1 reports
Jupiter5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
Hello John,

The piano sample itself is very , very good !
Incredible vocal sounds and Orchestral sounds .
6 gig hard drive . Plenty of storage !
The vocal kit in my opinion has been improved over X1 ... Great keyboard .
Dan O oneils4@home.com

Hey?, You sound likes a sales-man to me Dano

Maybe the Piano does sound great to "Your" ears, but as me and a few other have spotted out, The Piano on the SD1 does have some "sample breaks", and doesn't seem to get it totally right in the higher octaves, or some of the mid-range. (I agree a lot to what Dreamer was saying about the EQ etc). Also, when trying a keyboard out, turn the DSP's OFF and check out some of the raw samples.

Noise/Effects/Reverbs etc. - or too much of them can "spoil" a sound, and what may sound great as Demo's (or if you try them briefly in the shop - or listen to demos' elsewhere,) will sound different once you get it at home I think, and just using the SD1 and a pair of speakers, without any extra aids.

Golden rule: Try the SD1 out extensively John before you think about buying I say. You say you have one on order? - Does that include a “30-day" Trial? Have you NEVER played the SD1 at all John? - it is very risky just buying a keyboard - especially without having played it before. Try one out john if you can!

I have a KN6500 – and am more than satisfied with it – with the ever growing expansion boards available for it (2nd card has just come out – and will take my KN6500 to 80MB of Rom) I am not in the process of buying a keyboard, but would like to see those who do make a purchase – make the right choice, and just “Ordering” one without trying it isn’t wise – In my opinion of course…

I brought A Korg M1 8 years ago - because of its reputation/Recommendation & that "Many people had it".. When I got it home,(having tried it out briefly) I wondered what on earth the fuss was all about! - 70% of the sounds were unusable to me, So I made the mistake of buying from recommendations, something I don't recommend...

That said, I brought the Technics Kn6000/6500 WITHOUT trying them out first, but that was because I had a KN5000 before it, and the Kn2000 before that, then the KN1500 etc (all Technics). When you become acustomed to Technics, and there sound, then you know that the next keyboard up is going to be better. And loving the KN5000 made me want more....and the KN6000/KN6500 gave me that - and an awful lot more.

Maybe the Choice to buy a SD1 would be easier ...if it was called a SD2! - and you already had the experience of this "new" Solton-Generation of keybords behind you.., because I don't think that the Solton X1 is similar to the SD1 - in the same way the KN5000 is to the KN6000. Just My opinion...of course

Tony

[This message has been edited by Jupiter5 (edited 06-29-2001).]

#117277 - 06/29/01 12:35 PM Re: SD1 reports
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi
As far as i could see and hear,the new SD1 is a far better keyboard than X1.
Very improved sounds,drumkits etc.,and the internal patterns is great too.
Many "live" features that you have to see,listen and try out by yourself,it's too difficult to explain it all.
The vocal harmonizer is the first one in a keyboard who is for any use in my opinion,and the mic-inputs is XLR balanced. There are 76 keys etc, but I guess you know about all this already.......
One thing is not good,the accordions sound terrible :-(
Anyway,I like the SD1 very much when i saw it demostrated on a stand/demo,and this is the first time I ever consider to go for any other keyboard than Technics.
Good luck with your new keyboard when you recieve it.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#117278 - 06/29/01 07:23 PM Re: SD1 reports
johndee Offline

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your replies.
I received my SD1 last Monday and I think it is fantastic. I had an X1 and a X1 Plus and the SD1 beats all of them.
Thanks again for your help.

#117279 - 06/29/01 09:57 PM Re: SD1 reports
Jupiter5 Offline

John,

The Same day you said you had a "SD1 on order" (today)....was the same day (today) you said you had it last Monday?

Oh well! - if you like it - that'sall that matters...maybe I would like this "Time machine" that you now Posses though

Tony

#117280 - 06/30/01 03:38 AM Re: SD1 reports
johndee Offline

Monday morning it was on order; late Monday afternoon I had it

#117281 - 06/30/01 08:14 AM Re: SD1 reports
Roel Offline

Hi John,
I wish I had the same luck as you had.
I ordered mine in Januari this year and am waiting since then.
BUT ............ it's pretty sure I will get mine next week.

Roel

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online