SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#116848 - 01/18/02 07:49 AM Re: Day #1-Just Back From NAMM
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
George and Scott and DanO,

How are the organ and piano sounds on the new Gem?

Thanks

Tom

Tom

#116849 - 01/18/02 08:07 AM Re: Day #1-Just Back From NAMM
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tom,
When we used to carry the Hammonds around - we stayed in the same room, 5 days a week for a few months at a time. Today, we do ALL one night stands, and 50 lbs just makes the work too exhausting. Sure, I can lift it, but try to navigate it in and out of car doors in crowded parking areas, up and down small elevators or through tiny kitchen hallways in big hotels.
Even with versitile dollys and carts - there is a very real disadvantage to lugging a "beast" of that size & weight around. Most rooms do not even have stages anymore, and we set up in corners, behind couches, or on wobbly platforms. NONE of which are really spacious enough for even my favorite old Rhodes setup.
It's a different world, my friend. If you want to work in today's music business - better be prepared to move easy, and often! We have to go where the music is needed, and that is not as easy or convienient as "back in the day".
I'm not really sure if I miss those days or not ...... people drank more, and danced more, but today's crowd is cool too. Just different. I sure could do without the everyday moving though!

#116850 - 01/18/02 08:22 AM Re: Day #1-Just Back From NAMM
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Uncle Dave,
You're exactly right. I used to stay at full-time jobs for several years at a time. Those jobs are very few and far between now.
The weight and size DOES make a difference.
I would like to see Donnie's setup, with the Rock 'n Roller cart. Send me a pic DNJ.
DonM

#116851 - 01/18/02 08:38 AM Re: Day #1-Just Back From NAMM
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Piano and Organ sounds were great. In the time I spent with Chris, listening at times through headphones and then taking them off and only listening through the internal speaker system, I asked Chris to play (because he can play so well) Piano, Rhodes, Hammond, Flute, Trumpet, Tenor Sax, Guitar, Flute, etc.(all of my favorite sounds to judge a keyboard by). I didn't listen much to synth sounds, because most keyboards do this so well anyway. The smile on my face was exactly the same kind of smile I had the first day Sandro at Solton (Ketron) played me the prototype styles on the X1, three years ago at NAMM. For those that know me and know my passion for Arrangers, you know the feeling. I asked Chris if I could play the keyboard for a moment with the Grand Piano sound because I like to try out the way the sound becomes more "real" as a real piano is struck with lower to higher velocity. If it sounds very mellow and soft and becomes darker and bold as you play with heavier touch. This Piano was exactly what I was looking for. Next, the test will be from you players who have different levels of expectations.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#116852 - 01/18/02 10:46 AM Re: Day #1-Just Back From NAMM
danb Offline

George,
What are some improvements or additions to the PSR-GX27 replacement? How do you rate the GX27 against other Yamaha keyboard in its class. BTW, thanks for the NAMM report. You did an excellent job.

Dan

#116853 - 01/18/02 11:35 AM Re: Day #1-Just Back From NAMM
macbabbi Offline

Loc: New York
So when will the va76 be released to ny?

#116854 - 01/18/02 12:13 PM Re: Day #1-Just Back From NAMM
Anonymous
Unregistered

George...
GREAT reporting. Other sites are carrying updates, but none are so targeted to arrangers. Your work is most appreciated.
Eddie

#116855 - 01/18/02 01:10 PM Re: Day #1-Just Back From NAMM
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
OK Don and U.D. let's not get crazy. I've played for 30 years. Granted not as often as you guys but every Friday and Saturday and once in a while two gigs on the same day. In thirty years there were two weekends that we played at the same place. All the rest were one night stands. In the grand scheme of things 50 pounds is still a remarkable blessing. I know we all want the perfect keyboard, but I wouldn't let 10 or 15 pounds be the determining factor in my choice. I would not sacrifice great sound just because of the extra weight. The high price most definately. I too would like to see Donny's setup. Show us Donny!

Tom

#116856 - 01/18/02 01:46 PM Re: Day #1-Just Back From NAMM
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You'd change your mind if you had to tote it around 300-350 times a year! Besides - size is just as critical these days. Price is the last thing on my mind - as a pro, I need the right tool for work. This is my job .... not just a "gig". It's my office, my future and my recreation.

#116857 - 01/18/02 02:10 PM Re: Day #1-Just Back From NAMM
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tom, to be honest, I don't feel as if I'm sacrificing much at all with the PSR2000. It sounds good, has good styles, is inexpensive and LIGHTWEIGHT to boot. As you can tell, support is everywhere. There are two books in the works that I know of, Scott's and Dave's.
DonM

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online