SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#116050 - 01/12/03 08:48 PM How to send a Double sided double density disk as an attachment??
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I just tried emailing a performance (song) disk of an older Lowrey organ that uses the DS,DD disk. Every time I tried it said "disk not formatted, format now?".

Does anybody know if I can do this, and if so how.

Thanks, my uncle Bud in Wisconsin will appreciate it.

Scott Langholff

#116051 - 01/12/03 08:51 PM Re: How to send a Double sided double density disk as an attachment??
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
Load the file onto your pc hard drive>zip it>send it.
Terry

#116052 - 01/13/03 12:19 AM Re: How to send a Double sided double density disk as an attachment??
Roel Offline

It looks like your PC FD-drive does not recognize Double Densitiy media.
You could try another PC that does and do a copy command.

Important :
Your original disk has only ONE hole in it : the write protect slider ?

In the mid-80ties sometimes a 2nd hole was created at the oposite side.

#116053 - 01/13/03 05:16 AM Re: How to send a Double sided double density disk as an attachment??
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
I think the Lowery Organs use a different format for their disks, a PC might not be able to read it. The only way to copy it is probably through the organ, and mail a copy of the physical disk.

#116054 - 01/13/03 07:49 AM Re: How to send a Double sided double density disk as an attachment??
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hi Scott,

The only way you can send this to him is via snail mail. From what I have been told by another user, the information format is not compatable with a PC. It's kinda' like trying to read the information off of a 33-1/3 rpm record and send transmit it directly to your email--it can't be done. Put the disk in a envelope and drop it in the mail--he'll eventually get it.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#116055 - 01/13/03 01:35 PM Re: How to send a Double sided double density disk as an attachment??
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
Important :
Your original disk has only ONE hole in it : the write protect slider ?
In the mid-80ties sometimes a 2nd hole was created at the oposite side.

If the Lowrey works like Yamaha's older DS-DD based products, it will format a High Density disk to work on the DS-DD drive, but the PC will be confused about the format. Cover the 2nd hole with masking tape and the PC will suddenly recognize it.

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#116056 - 01/13/03 03:40 PM Re: How to send a Double sided double density disk as an attachment??
Roel Offline

Steve,

I don't expect there IS a second hole in the disk, but I asked to be sure...... so Scott might be confused as well after you told him to cover the 2nd hole.

A few years ago I had problems with creating a bootable FD (upgrade software) for the KN3000 (Technics) because of a 'secret' format..... Technics did not want customers to upgrade the OS themselves.

Because most customers did not like this attitude of Technics we found a way to copy the disk using the DOS program DISKDUPE51 and with DOSIMAGE.EXE it can be attached to emails
On Matti Sairanens' site this method is still used to upgrade KN OS-ses.

DISKDUPE creates a true BITWISE copied disk, exact copy !

Scott : Please email me if you want it !

#116057 - 01/13/03 05:44 PM Re: How to send a Double sided double density disk as an attachment??

Hello

It only has one hole. I do know Lowrey uses their own format that is theirs only for the obvious reasons.

Scott

#116058 - 01/14/03 12:40 AM Re: How to send a Double sided double density disk as an attachment??
Roel Offline

Scott,

Check your email IN-box

Roel

#116059 - 01/14/03 05:37 PM Re: How to send a Double sided double density disk as an attachment??

Thanks Roel, I'll give this I try when I can.

Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online