SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#115930 - 07/12/03 11:03 PM Awesome moment for a Dad......
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I hit the motherload last night, folks!
I wad driving home from work at about 3 AM and I look at my cell to see if I had voice mail.... sure enough I did. It was Katie, my 15 yr old that I almost lost last March.
She's somewhat of a nightowl like her Dad.

Her message was:

"Hi Daddy ... I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd call and ask you to sing me to sleep. Call me when you get done ....I have a list of songs i want to hear!"

I looked at the time, then dialed her cell. She answered right away, and she gave me a "set list" to do for her. I was tired, somewhat hoarse, and driving on a dark highway...but the thought of her reaching out to hear MY voice was just WAY too cool. She only asked me to sing one other time, and that was in the ER the night of her OD. She was lying helpless, in a strange bed, surrounded by sterile equipment, listening to phantom voices assess her condition....all she wanted was for me to sing to her. I sat by her side 24/7 for 3 days and sing, I did.

This time - there were no tubes. No machines, no flashing lights, no "code" pages. Just me and my little girl, as she laid down to bed. Here's her request list:

1)Blackbird (Sarah McGlouclan, to her)
2)Fly like a bird (Boz Scaggs)
3)In the still of the night (Boys 2 Men, as far as she knows
4)Think of me ( Phantom )
5)Come to me (Le Miz)
6).....um.... there were a few more, but I can't remember them all right now. I just wanted to share a HUGE moment of pride from a Dad who came too close to knowing what it's like to loose a child. This one took my breath away. I think she's back for good. Thank God.
(And, believe me ... I do !)

#115931 - 07/12/03 11:23 PM Re: Awesome moment for a Dad......
KN_Fan Offline

Wow...Damn. The story is so good I'm loss for words.

Wish you the Best UD.

#115932 - 07/12/03 11:48 PM Re: Awesome moment for a Dad......
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Well ,that was real. Great moment. Thanks for sharing. God bless ya Dave.
Bill

#115933 - 07/13/03 05:40 AM Re: Awesome moment for a Dad......
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
UD, I was just wondering, the song you mention,
3)In the still of the night
is that the same song maybe as I know as
"In the heat of the night" by Ray Charles from
the movie with the same name, or is it another
one?

Nice story, I would probably wake up people
instead of make them sleep using my voice,
as you know, I sing like a bird, but a crow
is a bird too

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#115934 - 07/13/03 07:21 AM Re: Awesome moment for a Dad......
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave,

what a great story. I too almost lost my daughter three years ago and stayed with her for 8 days. We've always been close, and her husband thinks she's just like her dad--pig headed, stuborn and good looking to boot.

As for the song "In The Still Of The Night" by the Five Satins, she also loves that particular song. She, however, is 34 years old and likes the older version by the Five Satins--not Boys To Men.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#115935 - 07/13/03 07:53 AM Re: Awesome moment for a Dad......
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yup, it's the 5 satins that I knew first, but the "Boyz" did a great rendition. They didn't mess with it...they sang it straight with a few harmonic substitutions. It's a nice cut.
Did I tell you guys that when we went to Disney last May ... they were 2 rows in front of us on the plane? (First class, of course) I tried to get a second to approach them, but didn't want to bother them on the plane, and when I finally DID catch up face to face ... we were in the Men's room at the airport, and I wasn't about to start a convo at the unrinal. We have some common friends here in Philly, but it just wasn't the time or place to intrude on their privacy.
It was fun seeing them up close though. My girls got a charge out of it, that for sure !

#115936 - 07/13/03 07:48 PM Re: Awesome moment for a Dad......
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
..... WOW, UD, .. that gave me a rush!!! ... fortunately I never had to face the kind of situation you had ... my daughter is now 34 and has her own girl (JUST like her mom in soooo many ways ) and boy ....I guess the biggest problem I had (aside from her boyfriends as she was growing up) was when she was in college and we got a call that she was in an ER with a possible concussion as a result of some guy showing off and throwing her over his shoulder .. well he threw a little too far ... fortunately she was fine, but that 1 1/2 hour drive to her school seemed like an eternity ....
Our first born was a son, and with absolutely NO disrespect to him, after our daughter was born I would say every father wants a son, but every father NEEDS a daughter ......
Good for you both, and the rest of the family ...
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online