SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#115686 - 06/08/02 11:10 AM What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
I'm finding that I can use a PSR9000 definition file with Sonar v2.0 to select a lot of the Live, Sweet and Cool sounds from the 9000 Pro, but I cannot apply insertion effects or edit the drums with Sonar. For that, I have to switch over to XGWorks v3.07 and be careful not to un-select the sounds I set with Sonar because I can't select them with XGWorks. Apprently there is no definition file (or "Model Setup") for the 9000 Pro in the current version of XGWorks and you can't make your own. The closest model setup in XGWorks, for the PSR9000, does not allow me to select the sounds that I can with the Sonar PSR9000 instrument definition file. I asked Yamaha tech support if a 9000 model setup was available for XGWorks and they have not responded. So I am currently forced to pick the sounds I want with Sonar, save the midi file, then add insertion effects and do drum edits with XGWorks. Does anyone have any better ideas? I can't be the first one to run into this, right? What sequencer programs are you guys using with the 9000 Pro? Do any programs besides XGWorks allow you to work with the insertion effects?

Thanx...

Esh

http://www.mp3.com/esh

#115687 - 06/09/02 11:22 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Esh. Could you kindly e-mail me the Cakewalk definition file for the 9000Pro. I would like to try it with my Pro.
You do not have your e-mail listed in your profile.

Thanks Graham UK

#115688 - 06/10/02 05:20 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

If anyone is interested in this topic, here's the email response I got from Yamaha, which is about what you'd expect:

"Unfortunately there is no file for the 9000PRO. XG Works came out before that unit was around, and since they aren't making a Windows XP version of XG Works, there will probably not be more intrument definition files either. Sorry about that.

YCA Support

> Summary of problems/question: I own a Yamaha 9000 Pro keyboard and I just bought a copy of
> XGWorks, which I've upgraded to v3.07. When using Model Setup in XGWorks
> to select my instrument, there is no setting for the 9000 Pro. The
> closest setting is for the PSR9000, but that setting does not list many
> of the 9000 Pro settings and does not allow you to select editors for
> plug-in boards. If there a 9000Pro.ini file somewhere for XGWorks ?"

------------------
Esh

#115689 - 06/10/02 05:53 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Graham:
I do not have your email either. Please send me an email at jimeshleman@hotmail.com and I'll send you the PSR9000 instrument definition file for Cakewalk.

------------------
Esh

#115690 - 06/11/02 05:44 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Apparently noone else seems to have the interest in this subject as I do, including Yamaha. Here's another reply from Yamaha Support on the subject of the 9000 Pro and XGWorks:

>Esh wrote to Yamaha Support:
Thank you for your response... unfortunately, it does not make sense. The
version of XGWorks that I am using, v3.07, is an upgrade for Windows XP.
I found that the instrument definitions in v3.07 were expanded from v3.0
(inclusion of the MU128 v2 definitions for example, which is an
instrument which came out after XGWorks v3 like the 9000 Pro). So I have
reason to believe that you really haven't looked into my question. It
doesn't make sense not to include your top-of-the-line keyboard in the
definitions file of your top-of-the-line sequencer program... that could
easily be incorporated into a v3.08 upgrade.
If there was a better sequencer program for use with the 9000 Pro I
would not be bothering you, so please take my question as a sincere
effort to improve both your product and my capabilities with it.

Perhaps an easier question will help: will there be an English v4 of
XGWorks ? I know that there is a Japanese version 4.0 and perhaps there
will be a definition file for the 9000 Pro in that ?

Reply from Yamaha Support (Dave Lindsay):

I have looked into your question and as a matter of fact I talked to the Product manager for the 9000PRO and also for XG Works. As I said before, there is no instrument definition file for the 9000PRO and there are no plans for any more versions of XG Works.

YCA Support

So... I can only surmise that Yamaha has purposely designed a product in the 9000 Pro for which there is no current method for selecting all of the sounds within it using their own sequencer program, and they have no plans to address that. And I thought Roland was bad about abandoning their products and user base... but maybe I'm the only person on Earth who gives a damn...

------------------
Esh

#115691 - 06/12/02 07:34 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Just to keep this topic going a bit more... does ANYONE here use a software sequencer with the Yamaha 9000 Pro (besides me)? If so, which one?

------------------
Esh

#115692 - 06/13/02 06:25 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Alright then, I'll just talk to myself... I have come up with the "poor man's" way of selecting instruments on the 9000 Pro using XGWorks, and it's currently the ONLY way I know of: set a track to record and start recording, then select the patches from the 9000 Pro in real time thus sending the patch changes to the track. You can edit out the space in the track so the changes will happen at the very start of the song. Not as neat as simply selecting patches from a list but Yammy give us no other options... unless one of you geniuses can think of something else LOL.

#115693 - 06/14/02 06:12 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Ok, I give up. This isn't the place to talk about sequencing. In fact, judging by the lack of response to most of the better OT questions posted here, this is a forum for feeling sorry for one another, naming imaginary music stores, talking about soccer or the cheapest best sights left in NY, or nearly anything except how to get the most out of a 9000 Pro and XGWorks. From the no-response I've had on a real OT subject, either none of you wizards of nothing actually sequence (likely) or if you do then you don't give a damn about Yamaha's purposeful lack of support on the 9000 Pro. Why talk facts when you can just speculate how GREAT the Tyros will be, right? Yeah, and how dumb it is to buy a keyboard that's actually on the market now when the next big thing is only a year or three away, counting the time it'll take to work out the bugs you'll be whining about here. Forget whether or not it'll be supported like the current Yammy "flagship" isn't: that's OT. This is the SynthZone BULLSHIT forum. Remember this post the next time you want help with a real OT problem and wonder why the knowledgeable people left.

#115694 - 06/14/02 06:51 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Dnj Offline

hey buddy,

dont let the door hit ya on the way out!

#115695 - 06/14/02 08:03 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

OHMYGOSH, someone was awake ! What a friggin' surprise... there wasn't a single light on in the house...

#115696 - 06/14/02 10:44 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Esh:
there wasn't a single light on in the house...

There are none on in that wasted piece of flesh on your shoulders either. get a grip, and stop slamming the good people that come here.

#115697 - 06/14/02 03:44 PM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
rgtaa Offline

Esh!

I think the good people on the yahoo prs styles forum can help you better then here on your xgworks questions.

I wouldn't complain about people not answering your questions, if they could have helped, I'm sure they would have... until you started Slamming the Board ... out of your understandable frustration!

Uncle Dave,DonM,ect ... all seem like great guys and you could bet if they had the Answer for you... they would have HELPED!

Esh wrote:
This is the SynthZone BULLSHIT forum. Remember this post the next time you want help with a real OT problem and wonder why the knowledgeable people left

[This message has been edited by rgtaa (edited 06-14-2002).]

#115698 - 06/17/02 06:26 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

RGTAA:

I realize that if anyone here could have helped then they probably would have if only for their own ego's sake. If I've overwhelmed this group with what I've learned in my first month with the 9000 Pro, that's your fault. And speaking of egos, I figured that a little flame-baiting would provoke a response from the lurkers who most THOUGHT they knew something. As test subject volunteers, I reviewed the posts of both Don and Uncle Dave which proved there is no knowledge to be gained here when it comes to the 9000 Pro. Like most, they are too busy talking about themselves and everything except getting the most out of their instruments. Computer sequencing is one of the most basic things you can do with a keyboard and not one of you has tried it with a 9000 Pro. Yamaha must have anticipated this level of complacency and that's why they aren't supporting it with any kind of instrument definitions file for any sequencer. And I'm the only one complaining to Yamaha so why should they bother? Frankly, I have found even more limitations when it comes to sequencing with the 9000 Pro in just the past week that noone has ever talked about here, but it's not doing me any good to talk to myself about it, is it? You guys didn't really want to know what the 9000 Pro should but won't do did you? Naah, no way... the World Cup isn't over yet.

#115699 - 06/17/02 09:31 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Esh,
I don't have a 9000 Pro, and I don't use an external sequencer, so can't help. I will try to help anyone when I think I have something to contribute.
I must agree with you about Yamaha's lack of support. I plan to change brands. However, I don't blame you or the others on this forum for that. And I have been very vocal about Yamaha's hypeing the Tyros many months in advance.
As to the off-topic discussions, you can read them or not. If it bothers you so much that it is a problem for you, then aim your browser in a different direction. There are quite a few discussion groups that I don't go to because of the constant bickering and use of inappropriate language. You don't find much of that here.
Go in peace, or stay in peace, it's up to you.
DonM

#115700 - 06/17/02 10:07 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
rgtaa Offline

ESH!
I have the prs9000 and one of the reasons I bought it was for the sequencer built-in! I mostly do quick record ... then add tracks after!

Bro! The Forum you are POSTING to is the GENERAL ARRANGER KEYBOARD FORUM ... so ... people that own all brands show up here! I suggested you try the Specialized PSR Yahoo Styles Forum that as approx. 2,500 members! Since this is General Forum can you take any responsibility for your OWN Stupidity in the Way you conducted yourself here!

I know for a FACT that posts on xgworks are there on the Board I suggested to you! I wrote to you above about checking it out! DID YOU?

In either case! Hope you find your answer!

#115701 - 06/17/02 11:03 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Esh

I may be able to offer some assistance.

I have a Cakewalk definition file for a PSR2000. It is based on the one thats available on PSRWorld (I think - I followed the link from another post in this forum) with some adjustments, mostly the inclusion of the drum edit NRPN values and the correction of a few patch names. If you load this definition into Cakewalk you can then drag-and-drop the NRPN lists into your PSR9000 definition and hopefully this will improve things on the drum edit side of things.

I would have posted sooner - but I hadn't finished it!

I haven't got my own website to post it to (in fact I've never really explored the ins-and-outs of posting things to newsgroups or forums so maybe I should learn) so e-mail me and I'll send the ".ins" file back.

#115702 - 06/17/02 11:37 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

RGTAA:

I dismissed your suggestion because I am already subscribed to the Yahoo PSR Styles group and unlike you I did far more pertinent searches regarding model setups/instrument definitions and using insertion effects rather than just a search for XGWorks, long before you suggested it. I was trying to be patient with you since at least you tried to offer something useful to the discussion, initially.

The internal sequencer of the 9000's won't even begin to give you access to the instrument's true capabilities as you must know. My gripe is that Yamaha's XGWorks v3.07 is the only program I have found so far (enlighten me ANYONE who knows otherwise) that can access and control the 9000's important insertion effects... it's just Yamaha's maddening refusal to support the 9kPro with it that's got me stumped. At least it will work with the PSR9000 should you ever decided to advance.

It was the sheer number of 9000 Pro owners here that attracted me to this group, figuring wrongly that some of them must be knowledgable and willing to discuss using the full capabilities of the instrument. If it was stupidity for me to assume I'd find working pros here rather than disinterested retirees, so be it. Be happy, I'm out of here...

#115703 - 06/17/02 03:22 PM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Good riddance. I've been a working pro for 30 years, as have several of the others. Because we don't use the same method you -- never mind, I won't waste any more time on trying to communicate with the chip on your shoulder.
DonM

#115704 - 06/17/02 03:34 PM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
rgtaa Offline

DonM!

Right ON!

rgtaa

#115705 - 06/18/02 06:55 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Newbie2 Offline

I dont get this guys. I read eshs mssages and and it looks like he was tryin talk to about problems seqencing with the Yamaha 9000. Isnt that what this group is 4? Looks like he had some good info Nobody wanted to talk to him becuase he was doing something you guys werent. Thats why he got mad. Now your glad hes gone. How ru going to learn anything if you wont talk about it?I want to learn all I can. eshs music wus good too

jj (newbie)

#115706 - 06/18/02 07:12 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Newbie2 Offline

never mind I dont careif you guys dont

jj

#115707 - 06/18/02 09:48 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Newbie2 Offline

esh: i sent you a email. sorry you got mad but if you still read this, what are insetion effects and does the psr2000 have them? I am thinking about buying one and i cant find what insertions effect are 4

jj(newbie)

#115708 - 06/18/02 10:02 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
OK, I've been watching, and waiting for someone with a level head to emerge. Now, I can see that only humble Stevizard, the masterful and meek wizard of wonder, can straighten things out and set Synthzone friendly forum back on course.

Listen closely . . . pearls of wisdown should not be cast before swine. Clear your minds, lifts your countenances, and let your hearts be glad for knowledge and wisdom will give you peace and true happiness. So, calm your spirits, shun all distractions, and hear the words imparted herein with meekness and sincere faithfulness . . . read slowly, think my words through with care, and allow your minds to grow to fruition and bear abundant fruit, and now, to all who have stored mistrust and contempt in their hearts I say, "knock it off". Got it? OK, play nice.

(Esh, you're beyond most of us. Many of us could use a sequencing primer. So, stick around, get to know us, allow us time to blunder through, and you'll find a lot of really great people on this forum. It just takes time.)

[This message has been edited by Stevizard (edited 06-18-2002).]

#115709 - 06/18/02 01:01 PM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Newbie2 Offline

rgtaa: esh mesages were the first Iread becuase he was talking about seqencing. Many people here hav helped me with my psr2000 questions alredy Im not on eshs side or start argueing with anyone,peace

jj(newbie)

#115710 - 06/18/02 01:16 PM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
rgtaa Offline

newbie 2!
Since you Joined SYNTHZONE TODAY! ... I'm glad people have answered your questions about the prs2000 for you on Synthzone!

I had second thoughts about thinking maybe you and ESH were ONE person ... considering HE left yesterday and YOU JOINED today!

So I deleted that note 30 seconds after I posted it ... because I didn't think it was FAIR to you!

I see you saw the POST before I deleted it!

Hope you accept my apology!
Welcome to Synthzone and sorry for the confusion I caused you!
rgtaa

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online