SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#115686 - 06/08/02 11:10 AM What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
I'm finding that I can use a PSR9000 definition file with Sonar v2.0 to select a lot of the Live, Sweet and Cool sounds from the 9000 Pro, but I cannot apply insertion effects or edit the drums with Sonar. For that, I have to switch over to XGWorks v3.07 and be careful not to un-select the sounds I set with Sonar because I can't select them with XGWorks. Apprently there is no definition file (or "Model Setup") for the 9000 Pro in the current version of XGWorks and you can't make your own. The closest model setup in XGWorks, for the PSR9000, does not allow me to select the sounds that I can with the Sonar PSR9000 instrument definition file. I asked Yamaha tech support if a 9000 model setup was available for XGWorks and they have not responded. So I am currently forced to pick the sounds I want with Sonar, save the midi file, then add insertion effects and do drum edits with XGWorks. Does anyone have any better ideas? I can't be the first one to run into this, right? What sequencer programs are you guys using with the 9000 Pro? Do any programs besides XGWorks allow you to work with the insertion effects?

Thanx...

Esh

http://www.mp3.com/esh

#115687 - 06/09/02 11:22 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Esh. Could you kindly e-mail me the Cakewalk definition file for the 9000Pro. I would like to try it with my Pro.
You do not have your e-mail listed in your profile.

Thanks Graham UK

#115688 - 06/10/02 05:20 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

If anyone is interested in this topic, here's the email response I got from Yamaha, which is about what you'd expect:

"Unfortunately there is no file for the 9000PRO. XG Works came out before that unit was around, and since they aren't making a Windows XP version of XG Works, there will probably not be more intrument definition files either. Sorry about that.

YCA Support

> Summary of problems/question: I own a Yamaha 9000 Pro keyboard and I just bought a copy of
> XGWorks, which I've upgraded to v3.07. When using Model Setup in XGWorks
> to select my instrument, there is no setting for the 9000 Pro. The
> closest setting is for the PSR9000, but that setting does not list many
> of the 9000 Pro settings and does not allow you to select editors for
> plug-in boards. If there a 9000Pro.ini file somewhere for XGWorks ?"

------------------
Esh

#115689 - 06/10/02 05:53 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Graham:
I do not have your email either. Please send me an email at jimeshleman@hotmail.com and I'll send you the PSR9000 instrument definition file for Cakewalk.

------------------
Esh

#115690 - 06/11/02 05:44 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Apparently noone else seems to have the interest in this subject as I do, including Yamaha. Here's another reply from Yamaha Support on the subject of the 9000 Pro and XGWorks:

>Esh wrote to Yamaha Support:
Thank you for your response... unfortunately, it does not make sense. The
version of XGWorks that I am using, v3.07, is an upgrade for Windows XP.
I found that the instrument definitions in v3.07 were expanded from v3.0
(inclusion of the MU128 v2 definitions for example, which is an
instrument which came out after XGWorks v3 like the 9000 Pro). So I have
reason to believe that you really haven't looked into my question. It
doesn't make sense not to include your top-of-the-line keyboard in the
definitions file of your top-of-the-line sequencer program... that could
easily be incorporated into a v3.08 upgrade.
If there was a better sequencer program for use with the 9000 Pro I
would not be bothering you, so please take my question as a sincere
effort to improve both your product and my capabilities with it.

Perhaps an easier question will help: will there be an English v4 of
XGWorks ? I know that there is a Japanese version 4.0 and perhaps there
will be a definition file for the 9000 Pro in that ?

Reply from Yamaha Support (Dave Lindsay):

I have looked into your question and as a matter of fact I talked to the Product manager for the 9000PRO and also for XG Works. As I said before, there is no instrument definition file for the 9000PRO and there are no plans for any more versions of XG Works.

YCA Support

So... I can only surmise that Yamaha has purposely designed a product in the 9000 Pro for which there is no current method for selecting all of the sounds within it using their own sequencer program, and they have no plans to address that. And I thought Roland was bad about abandoning their products and user base... but maybe I'm the only person on Earth who gives a damn...

------------------
Esh

#115691 - 06/12/02 07:34 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Just to keep this topic going a bit more... does ANYONE here use a software sequencer with the Yamaha 9000 Pro (besides me)? If so, which one?

------------------
Esh

#115692 - 06/13/02 06:25 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Alright then, I'll just talk to myself... I have come up with the "poor man's" way of selecting instruments on the 9000 Pro using XGWorks, and it's currently the ONLY way I know of: set a track to record and start recording, then select the patches from the 9000 Pro in real time thus sending the patch changes to the track. You can edit out the space in the track so the changes will happen at the very start of the song. Not as neat as simply selecting patches from a list but Yammy give us no other options... unless one of you geniuses can think of something else LOL.

#115693 - 06/14/02 06:12 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

Ok, I give up. This isn't the place to talk about sequencing. In fact, judging by the lack of response to most of the better OT questions posted here, this is a forum for feeling sorry for one another, naming imaginary music stores, talking about soccer or the cheapest best sights left in NY, or nearly anything except how to get the most out of a 9000 Pro and XGWorks. From the no-response I've had on a real OT subject, either none of you wizards of nothing actually sequence (likely) or if you do then you don't give a damn about Yamaha's purposeful lack of support on the 9000 Pro. Why talk facts when you can just speculate how GREAT the Tyros will be, right? Yeah, and how dumb it is to buy a keyboard that's actually on the market now when the next big thing is only a year or three away, counting the time it'll take to work out the bugs you'll be whining about here. Forget whether or not it'll be supported like the current Yammy "flagship" isn't: that's OT. This is the SynthZone BULLSHIT forum. Remember this post the next time you want help with a real OT problem and wonder why the knowledgeable people left.

#115694 - 06/14/02 06:51 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Dnj Offline

hey buddy,

dont let the door hit ya on the way out!

#115695 - 06/14/02 08:03 AM Re: What sequencer do you use w/9000 Pro ?
Esh Offline

OHMYGOSH, someone was awake ! What a friggin' surprise... there wasn't a single light on in the house...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online