SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#115597 - 10/05/05 09:35 AM Bose PAS and T2 voices
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
While listening to this T2 demo of the Steel Guitar Mega Voice, the first part of the demo seems to be the original T1 voice, then half way thgough the demo, the sound just opens up dramatically, almost as if going from Mono to Stereo.

It seems that Yamaha has exploited the stereo signal to the max to generate a more dynamic and realistic voice.

I wonder how the Bose PAS system will degrade this dynamic stereo sound when it reduces it back to mono?

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#115598 - 10/05/05 09:49 AM Re: Bose PAS and T2 voices
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by TresorTX:
I wonder how the Bose PAS system will degrade this dynamic stereo sound when it reduces it back to mono?

If my suspicions are correct, they will suffer the SAME disappointing stereo phase cancellation effect all the rest of the PSR/Tyros 'stereo sampled' voices have (to my ears) when mixed to mono.

Scott

#115599 - 10/05/05 10:18 AM Re: Bose PAS and T2 voices
Organizer Offline

Loc: Maplewood, NJ, USA
I guess you're just going to have to try it to find out.

#115600 - 10/06/05 05:01 PM Re: Bose PAS and T2 voices
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

A few weeks ago you said you were going to give the PAS another shot using the upgrades and the hook-up I described. How's this progressin?

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#115601 - 10/06/05 05:41 PM Re: Bose PAS and T2 voices
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Gar. Missed seeing ya here. Wher've you been? Yes, I finally had a chance to audition the PAS (with my Tyros) again recently, remembering to go out separately from the Tyros stereo outputs into the two separate inputs on the PAS, this time with the new PAS OS installed & with the settings you recommended, and though it certainly sounds better than before, espedcially when heard behind a full auto accompaniment mix; in an EXPOSED playing situation: with acoustic bass & drums only, or when playing solo piano, the stereo "GRAND PIANO" voice, still sounded thin and brittle. It's as if the rich 'body' heard 'in stereo' is suddenly missing. On the other hand, non-stereo sampled voices sounded terrific thru the PAS. I was also told by the 2 other people who auditoned with me, that my vocals sounded extremely impressive (rich, open & natural) thru them as well! Hey, if I weren't a Yamaha keyboard player, I'd purchase a PAS in a heartbeat. Perhaps I I'll consider one just vocals, if/when my bank account allows. - Scott

#115602 - 10/06/05 09:12 PM Re: Bose PAS and T2 voices
travlin'easy Offline

I agree the live, grand piano was not up to par, however, all of the other PAS attributes offset this particular downside, at least for me. I just use the tuned GM piano and work around it.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#115603 - 10/07/05 01:51 AM Re: Bose PAS and T2 voices
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
On a second thought, someone can buy 2 PAS modules positioned left &right?
....after selling his/her car??????

#115604 - 10/07/05 05:46 AM Re: Bose PAS and T2 voices
travlin'easy Offline

NOPE! My vans are a lot like me--very old, lots of mileage, a bit worn out, but nevertheless, still on the road. No one would want to buy them. Alas, I'll just have to survive on a single Bose PAS system.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online