SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#115329 - 03/03/04 07:45 PM Got the Bose PAS!!!
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
I came back from my local G.C store with 4 boxes. Three huge and one smaller. I unpacked everything in the garage and put all the pieces in the correct bag, things became much easier. I quickly carried the two poles and the bass module in one trip and the next for the base. Very easy, efficient and absolutely no dragging!!!

I will give it a try this evening at home and Saturday evening at a Church. I will post an ...unbiased report later for any interested souls afterward

..rb

#115330 - 03/03/04 07:51 PM Re: Got the Bose PAS!!!
Dnj Offline

Rhumba....good luck with your new bose system...please let us know how it works out for you....your review will be appreciated.

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#115331 - 03/03/04 07:56 PM Re: Got the Bose PAS!!!
michaeldevine Offline

Loc: Bangalore,Karnataka, India
Cant wait to hear your report......

Tell me about the EQ presets, and please describe the control panel.....

Also how do your keyboard styles sound comming out mono ?

Does the remote control have a clip on facility to clip on to the mic stand ?

Do you have B1 control s on the panel ? How do you control the levels of the B1 ?

( Ive ordered a similar package !! will get to me in a month perhaps !!)

Congrats.
michael.

#115332 - 03/03/04 08:45 PM Re: Got the Bose PAS!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Rhumba, Congratulations on getting the Bose PAS, and which I assume includes the GC 30 day return option if desired as well.

I'm particularly anxious to get your candid feedback on how your Yamaha S90 keyboard's 'stereo sampled' acoustic piano voices sound, when played solo, and mixed to mono to a 'single' Bose PAS unit. How much (if any) sound degradation occurs, from the effects of phase cancellation?

Would be interested in having you evaluate and compare going out from the S90's left (L/L+R) ouput only to the PAS, then going out the S90's (R) ouput only to the PAS, followed by going out separately from both the S90's (L/L+R) and (R) outputs to two separate inputs on the PAS.

Also interested in hearing how easy & quick it is to transport, setup, and breakdown. Looking forward to your review. - Scott

#115333 - 03/04/04 07:38 PM Re: Got the Bose PAS!!!
rhumba Offline

I gave the PAS a quick run this evening in my livingroom, which is 25ft by 15ft. Obviously the room is too small, but here's my comment so far:

The bass module: I thought I might need two but maybe one would be enough. "Big" does come in small AND light package! The bass module has much more punch, a lot lighter, a lot easier to carry, than the bass module of my Bose Acoustimass-15 (AM-15) set.

I had the L/R cables connected directly to Ch1 and Ch2 just so I can use the remote. I am very ignorant when it comes to "stereo sampled", "phase cancellation" and all that. But on the S90, you can tell the difference when you played L/Mono - as if the sound is muffled, not as full as when playing with both the L/R cables. When you have both cables plug in, it sounded just like if I would play through my left & right monitor.

I played my PA-80 on the PAS but can't tell much difference in Style mode. Because I will be playing for a church this weekend, most of my test this evening was in Program mode and going through various different organ sounds - and boy, this was the most amazing part! Everything is soooo clean! I couldn't believe that playing such familiar tunes as Amazing Grace sounded so much better. I couldn't even count how many time I played this piece before but it definitely sound much better tonight. Oh, yes, again, L/Mono only doesn't sound as full as with both L/R plugged in.

The setup I will have at church this weekend would be through a mixer. Everything will go into the mixer and the L/R out of the mixer will go to the PAS. I won't be using the remote. Of course, the church is tremendously larger than my living room and I will post another report next week.

And Scott,
Yes, I repeatedly remind the GC guy about their 30-day return policy and did say that there's a good chance I will return the whole thing. For once, I think GC is pretty confidence selling the PAS.

..rb

#115334 - 03/04/04 07:45 PM Re: Got the Bose PAS!!!
rhumba Offline

michaeldevine,

I didn't touch the EQ preset tonight. The remote control have a velcro on the back, no clip on. The B1 does not have any control, you either control the bass level through the remote or through a separate mixer and feed the mixer's main L/R out to the PAS. When I first played my PA-80 with the PAS, I noticed the heavy bass because of the small room I was in, but I think for the "one-man-band" situation, the bass would be perfect and you can always tune it down with the remote, which is almost like a little two-channel mixer.

..rb

#115335 - 03/07/04 11:17 PM Re: Got the Bose PAS!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by rhumba:
I had the L/R cables connected directly to Ch1 and Ch2 just so I can use the remote. on the S90, you can tell the difference when you played L/Mono - as the sound is muffled, not as full as when playing with both the L/R cables. When you have both cables plug in, it sounded just like if I would play through my left & right monitor.

Hi rb. Thanks for the valuable feedback. Sounds to me like you're confirming what Richard Peck (and Uncle Dave too) said as well, and that there is little or no phase cancellation problem when sending a Yamaha 'stereo sampled' acoustic piano sound into a single Bose PAS. This definitely appears to be mono PA speaker output breakthrough. I'm now more anxious than ever to checkout the PAS for myself firsthand. - Scott

#115336 - 03/08/04 06:58 AM Re: Got the Bose PAS!!!
rhumba Offline

Scott,
If you can get your ...money together, I believe the Bose PAS will benefit you alot.

The funny thing was last night when we had a dinner at my house after church. Two of the girls who sang in the morning were also there, and out of the blue, they started to comment about how they really liked their singing this time. Now, they had been singing at this location for more than a year! What they probably didn't know was they were listening to their singing through the Bose PAS.

Check out this thread I started earlier about some (resolved) difficulties I had with the PAS:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/008576.html

..rb

#115337 - 03/08/04 06:58 AM Re: Got the Bose PAS!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My Sunday spot just informed me that since hearing the Bose during my shows, they have decided to get TWO towers for a house system! They will add a Mackie mixer and everyone will get the benifit of this wonderful, new design in audio and VISUAL sound reinforcement. One less thing for ME to carry ! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

BTW - It'll be set up as dual mono in the room. Stereo would be a disater in this configuration. They also got 2 woofers per tower, so it'll be fully operational !(Darth Vadar?)

#115338 - 03/08/04 06:40 PM Re: Got the Bose PAS!!!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

BTW - It'll be set up as dual mono in the room. Stereo would be a disater in this configuration. They also got 2 woofers per tower, so it'll be fully operational !(Darth Vadar?)

How un-typical to say the least. I disagree wholeheartedly with your theory Dave. Unless the Bose PAS doesn't have a Crossover (some speaker systems don't, believe it or not) then okay fine, mono would be tolerable (barely). There is more dimension to the sound with Stereo #1 and #2 they will be able to experience Panning and other special effects. If they're going to hook them up to a Home Theater I can't imagine them watching a DVD, etc. in Mono, let alone no 5.1 or 6.1 setup. Yuckkk!

My Sound System is Stereo all the way and if you were sitting in my Studio and I put in Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and cranked up my System and you were blindfolded you would almost swear you were sitting 10 rows back and center stage at the Issac Stern Auditorium in New York. There's no way on God's green earth I could achieve that kind of sound in MONO!

Even if their House has no carpet or drapes they should still go with Stereo IMHO. My 2 cents.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 03-16-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online