deb Offline

Loc: netherlands
Last night I was at a concert of a real big
band of all professional musicians. The sound
of my Roland VA saxes are better than the
saxes they played and also the drumsets in
my keyboard. How does the conductor tell the
musicians that they have to play a fill in
and which one? He had no buttons at his desk.
Does he have a kind of a touchscreen in front
of him? How many variations has such a band?
Do they vary at Min, maj, and seventh chords?
Is there a pedal for an ending?
It was a good concert but my VA sounds bet-
ter. What kind of styles do they use and if
anybody knows a place to download them, I
should like to know.

#115240 - 01/24/03 10:01 AM Re: Real Big Bands
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Welcome Deb,
I assume your tongue is in your cheek.
I like it. Needed something to cheer me up today.
DonM

#115241 - 01/24/03 10:32 AM Re: Real Big Bands
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Whoa! That must be some kind of keyboard you're usin' I had the opportunity to sit 40 feet from the Tommy Dorsey and Glen Miller orhestras this year and all I could do is hope that any keyboard sounded half a good as the 15 and 17-piece orchestras I heard. There were 1,200 people in the audience and both bands had them dancing in the isles.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#115242 - 01/24/03 11:03 AM Re: Real Big Bands
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ahhh, MAN ..... the sound and FEEL of a live big band ... Here in RI there were 2 clubs you could go to on Monday nites to hear BIG BAND jazz ... now we're down to one, Bovi's, but it's still going strong on Mondays ... When I first started coming up here for business in the late '70s early '80s I would go to Allery's in Providence to hear Tony Giorgiani and Jazz Odyssey ... the band was made up of mostly local guys, lawyers, bankers, teachers, laborers, etc. with great chops and a love of great music ... sometimes guys who were on the road would sit in ... Tony's brother Joey would make you believe you were listenening to Maynard Ferguson when they played "Rocky" or "MacArthur Park" ...
I would sit in an old easy chair one row in front of the saxes ... no buttons, no pedals, no 'canned' styles or drum kits!!!
One nite I taped them on a portable cassette recorder ... even on that they sound GREAT!!

Angelo ... are you old enough to remember any of this?..
t.
PS: Being Monday nite, they would also have the tv tuned into Monday Nite Football, with no sound ... what a double header! ....
t

#115243 - 01/24/03 11:07 AM Re: Real Big Bands
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Now that you mention it, I saw Paul McCartney doing Yesterday on HBO last month and it wasn't nearly as good as the built in song on my Tyros.

AL G

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#115244 - 01/24/03 11:16 AM Re: Real Big Bands
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Deb. Make an appointment with the nurse to have the wax cleared out of your ears....HA!!!!

Graham UK

#115245 - 01/24/03 12:27 PM Re: Real Big Bands
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Ahhh, MAN ..... the sound and FEEL of a live big band ... Here in RI there were 2 clubs you could go to on Monday nites to hear BIG BAND jazz ... now we're down to one, Bovi's, but it's still going strong on Mondays ... When I first started coming up here for business in the late '70s early '80s I would go to Allery's in Providence to hear Tony Giorgiani and Jazz Odyssey ... the band was made up of mostly local guys, lawyers, bankers, teachers, laborers, etc. with great chops and a love of great music ... sometimes guys who were on the road would sit in ... Tony's brother Joey would make you believe you were listenening to Maynard Ferguson when they played "Rocky" or "MacArthur Park" ...
I would sit in an old easy chair one row in front of the saxes ... no buttons, no pedals, no 'canned' styles or drum kits!!!
One nite I taped them on a portable cassette recorder ... even on that they sound GREAT!!

Angelo ... are you old enough to remember any of this?..
t.
PS: Being Monday nite, they would also have the tv tuned into Monday Nite Football, with no sound ... what a double header! ....
t

T.

I remember Tony Giorgianni! His drummer was Jackie Menna, and my old organ teacher played with him from time to time also. His name was Vince Carmen.

#115246 - 01/24/03 12:48 PM Re: Real Big Bands
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... Hey Ang, Jack is still playing isn't he? ... I don't think I've heard of Vince Carmen ... A number of the guys from that band are playing with the big band at Bovi's ...
t.
PS: . how are the rehearsals for the show going? ... It looks like I'm not going to have surgery until the week of 2/24, so I'm still hoping to make the show....
t.

#115247 - 01/24/03 01:06 PM Re: Real Big Bands
Dnj Offline

If you wanna hear todays Big Band Sound.....

"The Spitfire Band" based in Toronto CA is my all time favorite #1 for sure!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-24-2003).]

#115248 - 01/24/03 01:23 PM Re: Real Big Bands
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:

t.
PS: . how are the rehearsals for the show going? ... It looks like I'm not going to have surgery until the week of 2/24, so I'm still hoping to make the show....
t.

Rehearsals are going well, T. I really hope I do get to see you there, but certainly understand with the surgery scheduled. As long as you're healthy, that's all that matters!

Ang

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online