SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#115021 - 05/22/07 01:58 PM 2 questions about Tyros2
dani_76_es Offline

Loc: Madrid,España
Hi to all Tyros2 users.
I have 2 questions:
1º let me know please if Tyros2 got Vocoder function?
2º it is a real sampler function on Tyros2?where is the difference between Tyros2 and Pa1X Pro sampler funcion.
with respect,
Daniel

#115022 - 05/22/07 02:11 PM Re: 2 questions about Tyros2
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
1. Yes

2. No.
I don't know what the Pa1X Pro does but the T2 has the ability to kind-of play samples. I say kind-of because it only accepts a limited type and it is unacceptably slow in loading any thing of significant size. If you want the ability to use sounds other than those supplied I would look elsewhere. That being said, I find that T2 to have OK sounds and some standouts and some a little lacking. Of course that is all subjective. Acoustic Piano, Acoustic Bass, and clarinet I find lacking.

#115023 - 05/22/07 02:33 PM Re: 2 questions about Tyros2
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
the PAX has a real sampler meaning that you can sample any raw sound and then edit that sound, cutting slicing and merging it with other sounds. You can sample for example a drum loop, time slice it and create a new drum kit from that loop. you can assign up to six samples per note on the keyboard thus creating for example very highly defined ,multilayered and responsive drum sounds. You can loop samples and cross fade different samples into one sound. It is very versatile and the best sampler available on a true synth arranger workstation bar the pa800.Unlike the T2 it can accept samples in most of the industry standard formats like akai aiff and wav and is extremely useable. The only drawback is that the maximum sample meory is 32mb which is quite small in terms of importing some of the really large mega byte sample based products out there.

#115024 - 05/22/07 03:51 PM Re: 2 questions about Tyros2
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Here are a few diferences between the Pa1XPRO and the new Korg Pa800 which you may want to consider before you purchase a Pa1XPRO/Elite keyboard:

The Pa800 has 120 note polyphony whilst the Pa1XPRO/Elite has only 62 note polyphony which is rather limited in todays market. Also the Pa800 has USB 2.0 (for 'devices' like thumb drives or external Hard Drives - although it only has USB 1.1 'to host' for connecting to a computer), and whereas the Pa1XPRO/Elite has only USB 1.1 - again another limiting factor especially if you want to load samples into the keyboard from an external source like a thumb drive etc., which can sometimes be very large amounts of sample data. And while were on the topic, the Sample RAM capacity of the Pa800 is twice that of the Pa1XPRO/Elite i.e. 64MB vs. 32MB. With the Pa1XPRO you do get 76 keys vs. the Pa800's 61 keys but you may not need or require those 15 extra keys especially at the Pa1XPRO/Elite's price point which is significantly higher than the Pa800 i.e. almost a thousand dollars more than a Pa800.

Best,
Mike

PS: Still no word from Nigel I see. Could this quirk have happened while he was on vacation and thus he may not even realize yet what happened? Surely he would have chimed in by now if he has indeed checked into to the Forum as recently as today?? Maybe he's visiting relatives "down under"? That is a long flight from Ventura, CA. by the way.

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 05-22-2007).]

#115025 - 05/22/07 07:46 PM Re: 2 questions about Tyros2
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Keybplayer, is there a chance that there WILL be a 76 note version of the PA-800????

The specs on it seem to be precisely the same specs that I wish were on the PAX-1....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#115026 - 05/22/07 08:54 PM Re: 2 questions about Tyros2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Primary difference between Yamaha and Korg.....?

Korg reads Akai disks, Yamaha do not. In fact, no multi-sample format at all other than their own proprietary one..

Case closed.

#115027 - 05/22/07 09:14 PM Re: 2 questions about Tyros2
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I definitely think that is a possibility.

The Pa1XPRO has been on the market for almost 4 years now and Korg is trying to put a fresh coat of paint on it by releasing the Elite version to further entice customers. But the Elite version does not improve in any way that I know of on features or specifications. The only difference between the Elite version from the original Pa1XPRO is on the Elite version the optional CDRW1x8 CD drive and the EXB-MP3 encoder board are pre-installed.

The Pa800 has more technologically advanced features than the Pa1XPRO and since the Pa1XPRO is getting long in the tooth at nearly 4 years old, I am fully expecting Korg to release a PRO 76 key TOTL replacement for the Pa1XPRO in the near future. Possibly at Winter NAMM 2008.

It would definitely be in Korg's best interest to do so in my opinion. The Pa1XPRO has been a moderate success for Korg and it would make sense to capitalize on its success with a worthy successor that has the advanced features to compete in todays highly competitive keyboard market. Yamaha is making an impact with advanced features like Ethernet ports, USB 2.0/Firewire, huge Sample RAM capacity and the Expanded Articulation system for increased sound realism. Also Ketron is releasing the Audya this year with its 197 note polyphony and its audio looping innovation - (and maybe with a USB 2.0 interface too ). Korg realizes that they can't rest on their laurels and that they need to keep pace with the competition. An excellent PRO 76 key successor to the Pa1XPRO is a logical way for Korg to counter the competition in my opinion. We shall see...

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 05-22-2007).]

#115028 - 05/23/07 04:33 AM Re: 2 questions about Tyros2
dani_76_es Offline

Loc: Madrid,España
thanks to all for opinions!
I have a Pa800,and i really do not need a comparation between Pa800 and PA1X(Pro).
Now i can understand the difference between Korg sampler and T2 sampler.
Thanks again
dANIEL

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online