SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#114564 - 06/23/06 12:01 AM Recording level on Tyros 2
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Awhile back there was some discussion about recording on the Tryos 2 HD concerning clipping and if set too low the recording will sound flat etc.

I don't believe though that anyone ever stated at what % they set their level to achieve the happy medium.

Realizing that if you record a lively tune the tendency is to get louder and a slow song will tend to be softer.

So, what are you finding is the happy medium that is working across the board producing good sounding recordings once the volume is normalized and ready for optimal listening?

Thanx
Scott

#114565 - 06/23/06 02:46 AM Re: Recording level on Tyros 2
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-23-2006).]

#114566 - 06/23/06 02:50 AM Re: Recording level on Tyros 2
Dnj Offline

Scott you have to "PRE TEST" your Music & Vocals on the T2 to the MaX limits at full performance Volume WITHOUT CLIPPING to Achieve a good recording T2level.....there is no set percentage....each song, each part, each performer is different..before recording watch the meter levels until while playing/singing & raise or lower them until you just rarely see the meter clipping in the RED if at all .....if your recording a multitrack song you'll need to use the HDR level adjustment to balance BOTH levels. Also take a few practice recording for 30 sec or so....then go back, listen to make adjustments before you make the master recording all the way thru.

#114567 - 06/23/06 02:51 AM Re: Recording level on Tyros 2
Dnj Offline

#114568 - 06/23/06 08:08 AM Re: Recording level on Tyros 2
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Donny

Thanx for the reply and yes, I have that basic idea, but I should mention what I have in mind is playing live on the job with no real time or opportunity before recording to test it out, and at the same time having one less thing to be considering while I am performing.

My idea is to start recording a set and just let it run without stopping it in between songs. I know this can be done as long as you keep the recording time under 80 minutes. I also know that if you go over 80 minutes that you will loose everything you have recorded in that one take.

I can hardly test it out before hand at home either, because if I set the volume to where it might be live, I may have some unhappy neighbors as I live in an apartment.

Usually, depending on the situation I will have my master volume knob set between 9 - 10 o'clock. In certain situations I may crank it to 11, and maybe rarely a little beyond that.

The music ranges from soft ballads and easy listening background music to some big band and sometimes rock of the 50's and 60's genre. And this can change from one extreme to the other with no time in between to be fiddling with recording levels.

My guess, without being able to try it first is that if 100% is too high and 50% may be too low that maybe around 75% on an average may be ok for across the board recording.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 06-23-2006).]

#114569 - 06/23/06 09:53 AM Re: Recording level on Tyros 2
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I do record in my T2 instrumental music, but since I do not sing, I have not experience what you do, but, regarless, if you do record in a lower level, in digital recording always there is the "NORMALIZE" function, this makes the level to be maximized without the chance of saturating or cliping, that is what is mostly use to "level" a CD, remember that in the early CD recordings, some tracks sounded in a Low level, then others high?, this is what you can use, so, my advise is to record at a Lower level, so you do not overload the signal in the recording procedure, when finish, then use the Normalize function and that is it.
I hope it helps.

#114570 - 06/23/06 12:35 PM Re: Recording level on Tyros 2
Dnj Offline

Good Luck Scott....remember to share this recording with us...since its gonna be a live take it should be fun to hear your repoire/banter with the audience in between songs and playing a whole set also for sure...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online