SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#114520 - 09/18/03 08:19 PM YST-MS50 or YSTMS50 Sounds Great!
Beakybird Offline

I finally had time to plug this Yamaha system in. It puts out a suprising amount of volume for the price I paid, $57 including shipping! I think it sounds great.

For those who are interested in using this speaker, I'm devising a system to make it a quick setup for the small gigs I would use it for. I attached velcro to the sides of the satelites and to the sides of my PSR2100. Then I found a duffel bag at Walmart that can hold the subwoofer and has two side pockets for the satelites. The duffel bag has the zipper placed so I will only need to unzip a zipper to expose the speaker of the subwoofer, and I don't have to take the subwoofer out of the duffel bag. There is another zipper in back that I can open to pull out the plug and cables! If anyone is interested in more specifics, email me.

I purchased this system because my Motion Sound KP100S sometimes doesn't deliver enough volume for the larger rooms I play in. I think that with both systems together, I can deal with pretty much anything that is thrown at me as I deal almost exclusively with senior citizen programs.

I can breathe a little easier too, because now I have a backup amplification that will always be in the trunk of my car when I need it.

Beakybird

#114521 - 09/18/03 09:12 PM Re: YST-MS50 or YSTMS50 Sounds Great!
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Beakybird,

I also came up with a way to package the things. It's quite simple really.

1) I install a metal handle to the side of the subwoofer. Bought it at Homedepot - one of those heavy duty chrome metal handle for like $2.
2) I put 3 velcros that has adhesive backing to the surface of the subwoofer. Two of the velcros are used to attach the speakers to the subwoofer for transport. The third velcro is used for the cables - all I have to do is roll up the cables and use the third velcro to attach it to the subwoofer.

So at the end of the gig, I just carry it with one hand - all the cables and speakers are attached with the velcros to the subwoofer. I just love it and so simple. Took me 15 minutes to install everything (velcros and handle) and cost me around $10 for the velcros and handle !!

#114522 - 09/19/03 01:39 AM Re: YST-MS50 or YSTMS50 Sounds Great!
Beakybird Offline

I don't notice anything. The YST-MS50 claims to be shielded. The satelites are so light that I have no fear of them falling as I am using industrial velcro.

Beakybird.

#114523 - 09/19/03 04:07 PM Re: YST-MS50 or YSTMS50 Sounds Great!
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I received mine yesterday and was also very pleased with the sound... almost unbelievable for their size and cost. I found them to fit perfectly in an old roll-a-long piece of luggage, with room for a mic and cables. You can find them all over... best bet is Walmart, Marshalls, or TJ Max, at least around these parts.

Beakybird... how are your attached speakers positioned/aimed?

#114524 - 09/19/03 04:40 PM Re: YST-MS50 or YSTMS50 Sounds Great!
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi All
It goes to show how subjective sound is! I got the MS50's with my 9000pro and hated them. I thought the sound on the low end was muffled and the high end was thin and tinny!

I tried adjusting the eq on the board but could not get a sound I was happy with. In the end I gave them to my partner who uses them with the pc and loves them!

I ended up with a pair of Edirol MA-10a's which whilst really cheap sound incredible to my ears. Not as loud as the MS 50's but far superior in my humble opinion!

Just my thoughts
Tony W

------------------
http://the-ant.2ya.com

#114525 - 09/19/03 07:19 PM Re: YST-MS50 or YSTMS50 Sounds Great!
Beakybird Offline

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures. I stuck a strip of industrial velcro to the sides of my PSR2100 and to the sides of each satelite speaker. If you want the speaker to face the audience, the speaker with the volume knob should be on your right.

I have used this duffle bag system at a couple of jobs today. I didn't even take the subwoofer out of the duffle bag, I just opened the front to expose the speaker. The duffel bag I purchased had another pocket on the other side which, after I cut the lining, I can open the zipper and take out the cables. I don't know how professional it looks to have a duffle bag sitting at the foot of the keyboard stand. I suppose most people wouldn't care.

If anyone wants, I can get the SKU# for that particular duffle bag.

The YST-MS50 delivers a lot more deep bass than my Motion Sound KP100S, but I don't think the sound is as balanced accross the EQ spectrum. There is something missing in the low midrange. With the satelites pointed towards me, the system sounds very pleasing, but with the satelites and the subwoofer facing the audience, the sound was rather muddy. With my KP100S setup, where the amp is besides me, the sound is excellent.

I'm going to play with this setup for several more gigs. If it doesn't cut my setup time as compared to the Motion Sound KP100S, I will keep on using the KP100S, and only take this system out if I have technical difficulties or if I need more volume than my KP100S can handle.

Beakybird

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online