SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#114247 - 09/13/02 01:43 PM Midi Cable
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I was wondering if I have to get a new midi cable for my drum machine.. I already have one that I bought from George Kaye some time ago.. It has both midi in and out plugs and and connects to the game port of my computer.. Can I just use the midi in and out plugs on it (althought the game port connection will dangle...)? Will it still send messages if I just use the midi in and out plugs?
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#114248 - 09/14/02 08:33 AM Re: Midi Cable
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Good question! I never thought of that. I'm sure you can't hurt anything to try it .... there is no power travelling through the cable. Give it a shot and tell us if it works. I'm curious!

#114249 - 09/14/02 09:04 AM Re: Midi Cable
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
I was wondering if I have to get a new midi cable for my drum machine.. I already have one that I bought from George Kaye some time ago.. It has both midi in and out plugs and and connects to the game port of my computer.. Can I just use the midi in and out plugs on it (althought the game port connection will dangle...)? Will it still send messages if I just use the midi in and out plugs?

If you are refering to connecting the drum machine directly to your psr keyboard, then you will need a 5 pin DIN to 5 pin DIN midi cable lead, not the midi interface cable for the PC. I would recommend you connect the PC to the PSR keyboard using the 15-way D connector to 2 midi plugs as before, and then connect a 5 pin DIN to 5 pin DIN midi cable from the Midi Thru of the PSR to the MIDI input of the drum machine.

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#114250 - 09/14/02 10:33 AM Re: Midi Cable
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Uncle Dave,
I tried it and it didn't work.. Simon is right.. I need a new cable. I'm not upset though because they're not expensive.. Still loving this drum machine too...
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online