SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114160 - 10/17/06 11:14 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
This IS confusing ... like keyboards, what satisfies one user doesn't necessarily satisfy another ...

Steve ... what do you use to protect the PCs at work?

We use Norton in the office, and I use McAfee at home ... I'm afraid to say it, but no problems either place ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 10-17-2006).]

Tony:

You hit the nail on the head with your comment "confusing like keyboards."

We use Symantec Enterprise Edition a.k.a Norton. The Enterprise Edition is a different animal altogether and does the job very well. The Norton Security Suite sold at retail has so much going on with it i.e. firewall, spyware intrusion protection, phishing that it trips over itself and can slow a system down. I still have a couple of systems at home that are running strictly the Norton antivirus not the security suite they have not been a problem but when my subscription expires I'm probably moving them to NOD32.

As abacus has said
Quote:

With all of them, make sure you install Windows Defender, AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy

It's got to the point where the average computer user almost has to have a degree in internet security.

#114161 - 10/17/06 12:44 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

man Im confused

my pcs came with the FREE AVG..I also use Spysweeper & Ad-aware weekly....so far no problems

My kids shut off ANG for two weeks and bang it got infected big time with 44 viruses Trojan generic ones which created major pop-ups that dont stop....Ive tried to clean it out but forgettaboutit.....

looks like I'll have to get my tech to reformat their PC and start again...

Anyone using the PAID VERSIN of AVG wont it bet even better? although it has low ratings?

#114162 - 10/17/06 01:13 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
dani_76_es Offline

Loc: Madrid,España
hi!
I recommend you Bitdefender 9 profesional Plus.Before i had Norton and Panda.Bitdefender is the best for me.

#114163 - 10/17/06 01:26 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

thanx dani...many people rave about
BIT DEFENDER also....thanx

#114164 - 10/17/06 01:51 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Dnj
Don’t Panic, just follow the instructions below.
1. Physically disconnect the computer from the internet
2. Run AVG making sure you set it to do a full system scan (You may find that AVG resets part way through the process, just restart it again with a fresh system scan, it may take a few goes)
3. Run both your Spyware programs, setting them to a full system scan.
4. Delete all temporary internet files, (Including offline files) cookies and temporary history files
5. Run Windows disc cleanup and make sure the boxes for temporary files are ticked.
6. Make sure your firewall is fully active
7. Reconnect to the internet and download the latest definition files for AVG, and do another full system scan
8. Download the latest definitions for your spyware programs, and run a full system scan
9. Download and install the programs that I mentioned in my previous posts, and do a full system scan with these
10. Run a disk check on your main drive. (Set to automatically fix errors)
11. When you feel the computer is running correctly, delete your system restore files, and create a new system restore point.
Your computer should now be clear of infections so they can get back to using it.
Finally setup a new administrator account and password protect it, and make sure only you know the password.
Change their account to a power user, and from your administrator account adjust the security settings to deny access to the security software for anyone other then administrators. (This will prevent them from turning any security features off)
Hope this helps

Bill

#114165 - 10/17/06 02:19 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

Bill thanx Im trying your suggestions if I can as we speak with fingers crossed.

#114166 - 10/17/06 02:31 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been running AVG on two desktops and two laptops, never had a problem of any kind, and since switching to AVG and Mozilla Firefox I have not been infected with anything in three years.

And, there's a computer geek show on the radio down here every Thursday that said "If you want the most comprehensive virus scanner, AVG is the absolute best.My company rates AVG much higher than Norten, McAfee and several others touted as the best." This comes from a guy that fixes computers every hour of every day, and sells the software.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#114167 - 10/17/06 04:05 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
ChuckHall Offline

Loc: Bozeman, MT USA
I'll have to go with Don and Gary here. I've been running AVG Free for a few years now with no problems. It updates almost daily.

#114168 - 10/17/06 04:21 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

then why does AVG have a few pay ver too? is it better? whats missing for free?
http://www3.grisoft.com/doc/1/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-17-2006).]

#114169 - 10/17/06 04:26 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckHall:
I'll have to go with Don and Gary here. I've been running AVG Free for a few years now with no problems. It updates almost daily.

I have to agree with the others. I have been running AVG for over a year with no issues and it beats Norton hands down.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online