SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1140 - 03/23/05 09:49 AM can band in the box be played in real time...
Timo1 Offline

Loc: USA
I am
trying the demo and I was wondering is there anyway to just let the drum go and play in the chords like you would in the casio and yamaha keyboards in real time or do you have to type or play each chord and hit enter??

any help appreciated!

#1141 - 03/23/05 10:25 AM Re: can band in the box be played in real time...
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
BIAB I have used for years. You do have to type in each chord change but this can be done very quickly. It will create it own melody around your input chords and ever create a Solo Improvisation for you.....great program with very good sheet music printout.

#1142 - 03/23/05 04:54 PM Re: can band in the box be played in real time...
Timo1 Offline

Loc: USA
ty Graham UK for your quic reply... was very helpful... hehe maybe I can push my luck and ask a few more questions since youve and others have used it for a few years..

can you change instruments throughout the song or are you stuck with just one instrument when your playing your melody line????

and im kinda interested in taking songs on the web midi files and kinda getting chords and especially the sheet music (err the notes) for them...
how well does this work?

#1143 - 04/22/05 01:42 PM Re: can band in the box be played in real time...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1:

can you change instruments throughout the song or are you stuck with just one instrument when your playing your melody line?

and im kinda interested in taking songs on the web midi files and kinda getting chords and especially the sheet music (err the notes) for them...
how well does this work?

[/B]

Yo,I never was an instrumentalist before. An older singer, lyricist, melody writer. I drove my muscian friends nuts cause my stuff was good and I would have to sing every part to get recordings made.

Been studying chord progressions. Gotten very good with making demo's in BIABox.

One - which version do you have? Do you have a midi edit program like Cakewalk?

VOICINGS- I dont use the Roland Sound Canvas. I have an XG compatible sound card. I go under options. Click on my midi changing to my Yamaha XG. It asks about latency assuming I am going out to a synth, I click NO because it really is software based XG. NOW - to activate each sound I must click EVERY setting -

instrument/voicing/reverb/delay over again - ZOWIE - sound. Then I can experiment with pull down menu IE right now on song I changed castenets to melodic toms, changed strings over to slap bass for an eerie chello like counter sound. Experiment.

Pick say 5 different basic styles. Load a song you like in all 5. Experiment with voicings. Learn how to do hybrid styles. If you really understand music and can quickly hear parts that fit in your head, the 2 biggest draw back to BIABox is often drums or rythmn guitar. I often start say with The Eagles style set, replace drums with drums from a second style that fits. Replace guitar from maybe a third set. Then set all voicings. It then is my own sound often much less "canned" sounding.

I am sure more experienced than I do the next tip better, but this ol coot does the following. I listen to every keybord voicing or guitar voicing that might be applicable to this song. while one vs is playing I change pull down menu to another voicing. On the beat I click on new voicing. Instantly changes. If I am doing just a demo I can come out as wav into my high end cassette recorder burn copy,

or into a Tascamm 788 HD recorder.

OR - I can convert to midi - go into midi edit program - revoice redo settings. could export to a midi module or work station

I make amazing demos of my orginal songs this way

sheet music - if you open help - topics - have a pad in hand, wright say the first 3 things you need to lern down, then open each, write inportant steps down, you will pick up skills rapidly. sheet music with chords is EZ

Ronnie

#1144 - 04/26/05 08:23 PM Re: can band in the box be played in real time...
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
do they like....come out of the box during the show? LOL
Are their any ventilation holes poked in there?
OK OK OK! Shit, what can I say...I inherited my dad's corny joke gene dammit!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online