SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#113734 - 02/24/03 05:57 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Scott,

Having played in a Big Band for the last 30 years, I think your list looks a lot like ours. Here are a few that we have to include when we play like it or not, they are requests.

Alley Cat (hate it)
After the lovin (very nice tune)
Sunny Side of the Street (one of my favorites)
Satin Doll (not on your list)
Green Green Grass (sometimes with alternate lyrics)
Leroy Brown
Tuxedo Junction (great swing tune)
Midnight Hour (young and old love this one)
Proud Mary (played this one too much)
Try a Little Tenderness
Cab Driver (Drive on Mary's Face)
Tea for Two (Cha Cha)
Meditation
What a Wonderful World
Witchcraft
Ruby Baby (kind of a medium Boogie)
Blue Skirt Waltz
Stardust (I'm really sick of that one)
Sentimental Journey (ditto this one)
I Saw Her Standing There
Ticket To Ride

I see you do Poor Side of Town. I would love to do that one. I had forgotten about Tiny Bubbles. I've never done "Something Stupid" because the melody BORES me to death. It's like Johnny one note. Do you do "Something"?

I always like the combinations people come up with. They will request something like "Careless", then when you tell them it's not in the book, they'll say "OK how about Inna a Godda Da Vida". Love it

Tom

Tom

#113735 - 02/24/03 06:20 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott,

I've sent you the music sheets for Chico's #7,8,30 . These are very well known and beautiful bossas. #28 is the french title for "Autumn Leaves", that you surely know.

I'll send the international part of my list later today (it's full of portuguese songs that you are not interested in and never will hear about!).

One question: many of the songs in the lists everybody sent, while beautiful and eternal, are not that danceable. I wonder where are the songs with which you entertain a crowd dying to dance all night!

-- José.

#113736 - 02/24/03 06:23 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Good topic. Lately I have REALLY been enjoying something I never thought would make as much of a difference as it has: every week I take an old song that I have played too many times and rearrange it totally, in many cases giving it a more "modern" flavor by allowing more space in the arrangement, adding soft vocal pads, and/or giving it a slight Jobim/Latin flavor. This has proved very successful, and now the older songs I used to loathe to play I love - most noteably, As Time Goes By, Someone To Watch Over Me, Laura, I've Got You Under My Skin, Fly Me To The Moon, The Way You Look Tonight, Can't Help Falling In Love With You, Lullaby of Birdland, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, etc. The reaction from the audience has been totally positive, which surprised me because standards that used to be slow like Someone To Watch Over Me are now more uptempo but people dance to them the same as they always have. It's very refreshing for both the audience and myself, and lately I've been playing 5-7 nights a week so keeping myself from getting bored is very important.

#113737 - 02/24/03 06:26 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My list is too long. No way to separate the top 30 or top 100. If anybody really wants it, I'll email. It's in MS Works format. It's 23 pages long, and still doesn't include songs added in the past couple of years.
DonM

#113738 - 02/24/03 06:40 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
This is the stuff I usually play. As you might notice, music kind of died for me around 1950 apart from a few select numbers. If I had to pick one composer it would be George Gershwin. For all you guys who picked The Girl from Ipanema, how come there aren't any more Tom Jobim numbers? You just gotta love No More Blues, never mind the rest.

After You've Gone
Ain't Misbehaving
Ain't She Sweet
Alexander's Ragtime Band
All of Me
All the Things You Are
Always
Anything Goes
April in Paris
April in Portugal
April Showers
As Time Goes By
Autumn Leaves
Avalon
Blue Moon
Blue Room
Blue Skies
Button Up Your Overcoat
By the Light of the Silvery Moon
Bye Bye Blackbird
Charmaine
Cheek to Cheek
Cherokee
Darktown Strutters Ball
Deep Purple
Don't Blame Me
Dream
East of the Sun
Everything I Have is Yours
Georgia
Guilty
Honeysuckle Rose
How High the Moon
I Can't Give You Anything But Love
I Didn't Know What Time It Was
I Got Rhythm
I Only Have Eyes for You
I May Be Wrong (But I Think You're Wonderful)
I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now
I'll Be Seeing You
I'll Get By
I'll Remember April
I'll See You in My Dreams
I'm Beginning to See the Light
I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
I'm In the Mood for Love
I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover
I'm Sitting on Top of the World
Indiana
It Had to be You
Jeepers Creepers
Lady is a Tramp
Laura
Little White Lies
Look for the Silver Lining
Love is the Sweetest Thing
Love Walked In
Lover
Lover Come Back to Me
Lullaby of Broadway
Man I Love
Manhattan
Margie
Me and My Shadow
Mister Sandman
Misty
Moonglow
Moonlight and Roses
Moonlight Becomes You
My Blue Heaven
My Heart Stood Still
Near You
Nearness of You
Night and Day
Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Sq
No More Blues
Oh! You Beautiful Doll
On the Sunny Side of the Street
Once in a While
Pennies from Heaven
Perdido
Perfidia
Poor Butterfly
Red Roses for a Blue Lady
Say It With Music
September in the Rain
September Song
She's My Lovely
Sheik of Araby
Shine on Harvest Moon
Side by Side
Smile
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
Someone to Watch Over Me
Stardust
Stormy Weather
Sunny Side Up
Swannee
Sweet Georgia Brown
Tell Me Why
Temptation
Tenderly
The Very Thought of You
The Way You Look Tonight
These Foolish Things
Tico Tico
Time After Time
Tiptoe Through the Tulips
Together
Try a Little Tenderness
Unforgettable
Walking My Baby Back Home
When Somebody Thinks You're Wdfl
When You're Smiling
Whispering
Who's Sorry Now
With a Smile and a Song
With a Song in My Heart
World is Waiting for the Sunrise
You Were Meant for Me
You'll Never Know
You're the Cream in My Coffee

#113739 - 02/24/03 06:59 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilot:
This is the stuff I usually play. Walking My Baby Back Home

Hey You struck a heartstring there my friend!

It takes me right back to my prenuptials!

Can you believe that I don't have the notes.
Anybody care to let me have their mid or MP3?

cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

my mail is virus-free thanks to Norton Antivirus2002

#113740 - 02/24/03 08:54 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW !!! .... Looking at your lists makes me feel that at 61 years of age, MY list is 'cutting' edge ...
Seriously, it's great to know that the 'Great American Songbook' is alive and well, ... but I am surprised that there's not more Billy Joel, Elton John, Angelo's guy Manilow, even Garth Brooks ... two songs of his that I've found very popular "The Dance" and "If Tomorrow Never Comes" ... I know UD said he didn't care for "IF Tomorrow.." , but I've found that crowds love it ... Also Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight", Joshua Kaddison's "Beautiful in My Eyes", Edwin McCain's "Could Not Ask For More", Van Morrison's "Have I told You Lately" (not Rod Stewart's version) ... Morrison's "Moondance" also makes a nice swing dance tune....
Speaking of Rod, as Scott Yee said, younger singers are using the "Great American Songbook" and introducing a whole new audience to it ... While I am not a fan of Rod Stewart's attempt at the standards, he will provide exposure to a new audience of listeners as well ... I remember when the movie "When Harry Met Sally" came out, I had young people ask if I knew any of Connick's 'new' music ... little did they realize I was playing it BEFORE he was!!!
t.

#113741 - 02/24/03 09:01 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I would add to Chico's list...Blue Bossa, Triste, Once I Loved ... amongst others..
Looking at Richard's list and seeing 'When Whipporwills Call', which is really 'My Blue Heaven' (don't we all have our own 'catch' titles for some songs?), reminded me of the night a woman requested "Burning Bridges" .. I could not think of the song, but she was insistent that she heard me sing it... Later, when I was in the middle of a tune, she came up and said "That's it, That's the song!!!" ... can anyone guess what song it was??? .....
t.

#113742 - 02/24/03 09:03 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Chico: I enjoyed finding out your top 30 song list. Though I too enjoy playing the Jobim tunes in your list, as well as the American Standards, I'm not yet familiar with songs: #7, 8, 9, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 28, and 30. Do you know if these tunes are included in a published fakebook?
Scott

There is a new feature at the psrtutorial that will answer that question directly. It is an index to all the songs in all the US fakebooks. That's over 10,000 unique titles. Here is a direct link: http://psrtutorial.com/FakeBooks/FBSongs/fbsongs.html
Songs are alphabetized and there is a separate page for each letter. For those who want the complete list, there is also an MS Word document that can be downloaded. It will give you a 61-page 3-column print out.

P.S. Since the site has become so large now, I've added a search capability this past weekend. Although I see I'll have to provide better "page titles" now that the search index is operational.

The amount of non-PSR specific material is growing. I recently added a section on the Secrets of Chord Progressions. Although pros won't need this, others may find this series of weekly lessons useful in learning all of the chords.

Of course, in spite of all these lessons, downloading remains the most popular activity as I now have 400 styles, complete with OTS, tuned to the PSR-2000 plus an additional 500 styles without OTS. The midi files from the PSR Performers are also popular with nearly 700 songs now available at the site.

#113743 - 02/24/03 09:04 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I had to laugh when I saw Rod Stewart trying to cash in on some of the old standards..complete with tux and loosened bow tie. But, then I thought, "What the Hay? I am always trying different stuff...some of which I am just not suited to." Look at Willie Nelson. The man can do almost anything and it sells. On the subject of Harry Connick Jr., I give him credit for popularizing some of the older tunes, even though I don't care for his style.
Eddie

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online