SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#112904 - 09/05/05 03:18 PM Condition Of Your Instruments?
DannyUK Offline

I'm a bit upset actually. I've had my PA1X for about 3 months now, and it's already scratched a bit. Mainly on the sides and a couple of scratches near the display area. When i got this instrument, it was in MINT condition, totally brand new so inevitably there was going to be some marks, but its just upsetting that no matter what you do you cant keep these things immaculate, or can you?

Maybe its because this was really my first keyboard that was never taken out of the box, where as all previous keyboards had already been taken out of its box and tampered with as such.

Maybe its a silly subject, but how do people feel if they accidently marked their brand new instrument? I know i feel a little down about it now...

#112905 - 09/05/05 05:01 PM Re: Condition Of Your Instruments?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
It really bugs me when my instruments get marred..I take extra care to prevent damage to my equipment..That is why most of my stuff is like new..I don't even like the bottom of my keyboards scuffed..

Always carry your keyboard in a quality case..Always use quality keyboard stands with rubber scuff protection...and the "BIGGY", always handle your equipment...no roadies..

I always clean the surfaces and never leave finger prints on my boards..After my job[gig] ..I make sure all the film and room dust are removed...It may seem overkill , but it works for me..

#112906 - 09/05/05 05:35 PM Re: Condition Of Your Instruments?
DannyUK Offline

Yea, wished i had done the same Fran... Yea ok, it's not really noticeable only if you specifically look, but still, i know they knocks and scratches are there..

I want to buy another PA1X now LOL...

#112907 - 09/06/05 02:09 AM Re: Condition Of Your Instruments?
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
I really don't know what you're worrying about Danny. Don't these modern so called D.J's make a living from "scratching".
A good bit more than most of us do.!!!!

Just keep polishing away.

Trevor

#112908 - 09/06/05 05:42 AM Re: Condition Of Your Instruments?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
All of my equipment is in pristine condition and as Fran said I would really be upset if anything has a scratch. At least once a week I blow the dust from beneath the keyboard keys with canned air. The LCD screen is cleaned weekly as well. Everything is stored in padded cases, and the keyboard that stays setup in my office is covered with a heavy dust cover when not in use. If you want your equipment to last for years to come, treat it accordingly.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#112909 - 09/06/05 09:53 AM Re: Condition Of Your Instruments?
jerry6681 Offline

Loc: Sun Lakes, Az. United States
I agree with all the replies for keeping instruments in good condition. I have a Pa1X Pro. I would like to add a few things I do. I feather dust my keyboard every day. Feather dusting with a good ostrich feather duster works great for removing dust from around buttons etc. My feather duster is only used for my musical equipment. I wipe my keyboard (buttons, keys and display) with a slightly damp washcloth and wipe it dry with an old cotton T shirt first thing every day. Every couple months I vacuum gently with the vacuum brush.

Jerry

#112910 - 09/06/05 10:09 AM Re: Condition Of Your Instruments?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm with you guys on the cleaning issue. I keep my board under a dust cover at all times. It also sits on a stand with rubber caps for protection underneath the board. I clean it weekly by vacuum, and slightly damp cloth. Like Gary I also use canned air to blow out speaker grills, between keys, and underneath them. Dust is the WORST enemy for a keyboard. It can really mess things up.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#112911 - 09/06/05 10:31 AM Re: Condition Of Your Instruments?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Call me a slob (or lucky) if you like, but I think my i30 would die of fright if I went near it with a feather duster or anything. Sure it travels in an SKB padded hard case and it sits on a Quik-Lok stand with the rubber pads on the supports and, like Fran, I'm the only one who handles it. But, other than keeping the touchscreen clean for these aging eyes, I don't do much else than play the thing. Scratches? Not much really. I guess it's the benefit of mainly metal surfaces and the fact that it's black - and it's built like a tank.

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 09-06-2005).]

#112912 - 09/06/05 03:45 PM Re: Condition Of Your Instruments?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I have lots of equipment, and I've found, that everything that has a well-fitting padded case, is in mint condition and could theoretically be sold as new, andything that doesn't, couldn't even be sold as old!

Chony.

#112913 - 09/06/05 03:51 PM Re: Condition Of Your Instruments?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Wow ... I just read some of the other replies ... the only time I dust my keyboard is when the dust is so thick I can draw pictures in it...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online