SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#112786 - 02/25/02 02:36 PM PSR2000 What's going on?
RicRob Offline

Loc: Bethlehem, PA, USA
I have this PSR2000 for nearly a month now and have overall found it to be a great KB.
Been trying to learn the working of the various functions bit by bit because the overall view of learning to play this unit in a short time (at least for me) is not possible.
Incidentally Thanks to many of you, the learning process is moving along nicely.
My latest adventures are vocalizer and recording songs and have run into a couple of concerns:
Sometimes the vocalizer is very noisy, most of the time it seems to work fine. In it's bad moments, there is a noticeable hiss all the time unless I pull out the microphone plug, then it goes away. I can do some changes in noise gate, compressor, etc but the noise never goes away completely. Like I stated before most of the time, it is next to perfect. Why would this only happen occasionally?
Song Recorder - again, works fine most of the time.
But I have recorded some songs which came out totally distorted and other times where it seemed to lose the main or layer voice and also the harmony assignment.
Was wondering if any one else had similar problems and is it a ocassional electronic bug or something I should be more concerned about?
Beginning to think there is just too much electronics packed into this unit!!!
Thanks

#112787 - 02/26/02 09:15 AM Re: PSR2000 What's going on?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I know for me the Vocalizer settings were a bit confusing especially at first. I tried also playing my guitar through the mic input and the effect settings would be wrong. Sometimes I got a hiss too, but it was because I had the wrong effect on. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, but I can't say with any certainty that this is what your trouble with the vocalizer is. It could very well be an OS glitch in your case. The reason I say this is because right now my 2000 is in the shop for two reasons. one is a mechanical problem with the floppy drive ( the discs don't pop out when I release them ). The second is an OS problem. My mixer settings aren't always recalled correctly for some of the registrations I have saved. Sometimes, when I'm in a style and I change registrations ( with the proper freeze functions set ), a lot of the functions that are supposed to be frozen change anyway. Since I use my reg memories primarily for voice setups rather than style setups, I notice that sometimes the voices come up with the wrong mixer settings ( ie. dual voicings and the mixer settings for each of the voices ..effects and simple synth fuctions ). Worse yet, the arranger voices are also sometimes affected. For example, if I switch from a harmonica set up I've saved to a lead guitar via the reg memory, sometimes the arranger voices pick up the distortion effect too, although I know I saved the registration correctly with the proper freeze functions setup so that isn't supposed to happen. The thing that frustrated me is that it only happened sometimes. Other times the reg memory performs exactly as I saved it.

Korg AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 02-26-2002).]

#112788 - 02/26/02 09:56 AM Re: PSR2000 What's going on?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Be certain the switch on the back is properly set, either to Mic or Line.
I do not hear any noise in all in mine, either with or without the harmonizer on, as long as the input level is set correctly.
DonM
P.S. Also, have you tried a different mic cord?

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 02-26-2002).]

#112789 - 02/26/02 01:02 PM Re: PSR2000 What's going on?
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Don,
I agree with the volume turned all the way up
no hiss! But you have to have your mic input
volume (in the back) set correctly!
RicRod, I don't know for sure what's causing your hiss, I'm still learning to operate
this board. Don't use this volume ctrl.(in the back) to adjust your output volume. It only controls the only amount of signal going into the KB. I was told to adjust this ctrl. while watching the green LED, if the red OVER LED came on it was to loud!
I could never could get the red one to come on, even when I had it turned wide open.
But I could tell it was to loud. Mine is set about 3/4 open. Just set it once and forget it!
All the best,
Nobby

------------------

#112790 - 03/01/02 10:16 AM Re: PSR2000 What's going on?
RicRob Offline

The learning process continues.
In my initial concern about the recorder dropping voices etc, on playback, I think I have answered that "problem". Once you start using the quick recording method you cannot change voices as you play without stopping the recording to make the change.

One concern yet - and that is the noise in the vocalizer.
Can anyone who uses this feature or the mic alot tell me if there is a normal hizz or rushing sound even at a very low level as long as the mic is plugged into the kb?
All my noise goes away when I unplug the mic. The noise sounds like a rushing that tends to waiver and when played thru my amps is very annoying when you are not playing. I tried all kinds of adjustments to the noise gate, compressor, eq ,etc but even though there may be some change in it's tone or volume - it never completely goes away.
I was certain when I first started to use this function, there was absolutely no noise at all even a full volume.
Any comments appreciated.
Overall this PSR2000 is one fantastic kb and I do enjoy it more and more each day I use it and learn more about it.
Thanks

#112791 - 03/01/02 10:25 AM Re: PSR2000 What's going on?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use it every night--no noise. I generally use a send from my mixer to the Line input, but I have made it a point to check it by pluggin the mic in directly. No noise.
Don

#112792 - 03/02/02 07:53 PM Re: PSR2000 What's going on?
RicRob Offline

DonM
Thanks for checking - appreciate it.
Took the PSR out on a job for the first time and everything worked great except the noisy vocalizer. Guess it will have to see some shop time.

#112793 - 03/04/02 07:16 AM Re: PSR2000 What's going on?
giraffe54 Offline

Loc: New Ulm, Mn. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I use it every night--no noise. I generally use a send from my mixer to the Line input, but I have made it a point to check it by pluggin the mic in directly. No noise.
Don

#112794 - 03/04/02 07:24 AM Re: PSR2000 What's going on?
giraffe54 Offline

Loc: New Ulm, Mn. USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by giraffe54:
I recently purchased my PSR2000 and really love it. I've used it on the job many times and as well as recording our nights off the Mackie. It's one great sounding keyboard! I, too, had a noise problem with the harmonizer. I finally fixed it by running my SM58 through the Mackie (instead of into the back of the 2000) and then sending a LINE feed back to the PSR. This greatly improves the signal-to-noise. Don't be afraid to see the green light is on most of the time....just be aware of the red light on the 2000 showing distortion. Also, be sure to use the internal noise gate. The harmonizer works great like this and the annoying hiss is gone for the most part. It will always be there slightly in the background. You'll notice this if you hold down a left-hand chord and sing without the styles, but it is so minimal no one will notice it during performance. I don't think I would want to use the harmonizer when making my CD's, though. I'm pretty sure the noise would show up in a recorded mix with soft passages. Yamaha even mentions this....the harmonizer is really for "live" use only, and not in the studio. Good luck!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online