SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#112504 - 12/01/03 05:03 PM New Amplification System from Bose
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
Not that I’ll be buying one anytime soon, but I see that Bose has introduced a new concept in an amplification system designed for live performances. It uses some unique concepts including a pole shaped (line-array) cylindrical radiator with a 180 degree horizontal dispersion pattern for the mid and high frequencies. This array can be coupled to a special bass module for full frequency coverage. Set-up time is said to be minimal and the heaviest component of the system is about 35 pounds. As is usual for Bose, the price is right up there. The line array plus single bass module is about $2000. Looks like Bose has teamed up with the Guitar Centers to market this system.

[This message has been edited by SBPC (edited 12-02-2003).]

#112505 - 12/01/03 05:16 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
SBPC Offline

I noticed that the lengthy web address I posted led to an error page when I tried to copy and paste it, so if you are interested in pursuing this any further, try the address below. This background article includes an address to a Bose site where you should be able to get more technical info.
http://www.deryldodd.com/Dodd%20RoadNews.htm

#112506 - 12/01/03 06:21 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bose has such great sound ideas, but I think $1699 for the vocal system and up to $2300 for a SINGLE, MONO keyboard system is way too pricey for most of us. Anyone playing or using bass at any volume definitely needs their subwoofer(s) to make the system work.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 12-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 12-02-2003).]

#112507 - 12/01/03 06:24 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
Dnj Offline

Awesome design....I cant wait to try one somewhere.....2g is nothing for a great sound system that will make you money time after time...without breaking your back carrying it to gigs. It's about time!

#112508 - 12/01/03 06:33 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Paul,

thanks for the info.
Looks very interesting indeed. But the price....... I don't know.
Maby other Manufacturers will come out with something similar if it catches on.

Eric

#112509 - 12/01/03 06:35 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
Eric, B Offline

Hey Donny,

it's 2G's for one speaker.
If you want stereo it will be 4G's

Eric

#112510 - 12/01/03 07:00 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
Dnj Offline

Eric, ... if it sounds that good and does the job better then anything out there...
I Want One!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-01-2003).]

#112511 - 12/01/03 08:50 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
Eric, B Offline

Pssssst Dony,

don't tell anyone especially my wife, but me too.......

Eric

#112512 - 12/02/03 05:56 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I know nothing about their new systems, but I used to use the Bose 802's for my sound system (got 'em cheap) and I found that they did not amplify frequencies evenly. I A/B'd them with the first powered JBL EON's when they came out around 1995 and found the EON's to have a far more even frequency response, which is crucial for keyboards or you'll have certain notes jump out at you. Bose speakers tend to color their sound to a degree, which is why you don't see them in studios. Just a word to the wise to try before you buy.

#112513 - 12/02/03 06:35 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Definitely "try before you buy". Good advice for sure. I noticed on the Bose web site that they actually have a Musician's Forum where you can discuss the L1's. Bose has several of their employees answering the questions posted on the Forum. Almost unequivocally the "reviews" by those who have "tried" them or bought them are positive. In fact they are saying that the L1's are great and even 'fantastic'! They are suppose to "fill" a 75'x75' room with ease and a room of 300 people effortlessly.

Guitar Center is suppose to have them. I've never seen them there but certain GC's, according to Bose, have demoed them to the public. I would think they are an order only item. Anybody have $4,000 dollars to throw away [hopefully not down the drain though ] on a pair of L1's packages? Then we here at the SZ will have a better idea of "how good" they are. If they're all their cracked up to be others on the Forum would probably follow suit and get them too.

If your not satisfied with the L1's, you can simply 'return' them to Bose for a full refund within 90 days of purchase. That is a great incentive (and Bose knows it) for people to try and test them in real live situations and decided for themselves if they are the cats meow or not. Bose seems to be confident that they are, hence the 90 try 'em to see {and hear} if they will work for you or not. I like Bose's approach.

Either that, or find out some how when and where GC is set to demo them in the near future and cruise on over to hear the demo.

Best regards,
Mike

#112514 - 12/02/03 06:44 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
keybplayer Offline

Also I wanted to mention to 'SBPC' to please delete the URL links within your previous posts because they are "too long" and cause members of this Forum to have to side scroll to read the other posts within this thread. Thank you for your consideration SBPC.

If others want to read about the L1's simply go here: www.bose.com and when you get to the main page look near the top where it says "Products for Musicians". Click that link and wait for the page to 'fully' load then click the 'Click here' link at the bottom right corner of the flash intro at the top of the page. That will take you to the info about the L1's.

Best regards,
Mike

#112515 - 12/02/03 09:23 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
SBPC Offline

Mike,thanks for letting me know what caused my original post to "stretch." Next time I'll know what not to do.

Pro, I believe what you say about your experience with Bose speakers applies to their Acousta Mass home stereo speaker systems as well. They sound pretty impressive until you A/B them with speakers that have truly flat response and then you realize the Bose system is lacking, particularly in the mid-range.

#112516 - 12/02/03 09:46 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
SBPC Offline

After leaving this Forum this morning, I happened to check in on the Ketron Forum. Noticed that one of the members there recently posted the following about his experience with the new Bose system.
Paul C.

Hi Joel,
I've done away with my Roland digital mixer, Digitech harmoniser, 4
12" EV amplified 350 watt active speakers, 1 12" 300 watt EV sub. I've
replaced them all with the SD 1Plus's built in mixer and harmonizer. You have
to try the the new Bose Radiator sound system. I got the system with two
subs that stack on top of each other. The base for the two long speakers that
bayonet into each other support the tall 4" by 6' section of speakers. The
base also houses all of the electronics and built in amp. Also it comes with a
two channel small footprint mixer that sits neatly on the SD 1 plus. I
plug the L out of the SD 1 to the L in of the Bose, the R out of the SD 1 to
the R in of the Bose, connect one cable from the sub to the Bose, and another
cable connecting the two subs together. Plug in the Bose power cable in and
turn it on that is all. Set up time is 5 minutes.
The sound has blown away my 5 EV speakers.
Also, the weight of the subs is about 25 lbs each, the base is about
30 lbs. and the two tall towerspeakers weigh about 18 lbs each. It comes
with carrying bag.
I paid about $2200.00 for the tower with two subs.

#112517 - 12/03/03 06:11 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Hi SBPC,
What are the items of your Bose setup? From your post, I take it that you have TWO cylindrical radiator loudspeakers AND TWO B1 Bass Module. Is that true?

I saw Bose has the "Double Bass package - L1 Cylindrical Radiator loudspeaker" on its web site which included two bass modules and only one cylindrical loudspeaker. This package is listed for $2,299.97. From the past, I learned that Bose is very strict about keeping the retail pricing - and so, I would be even more interested in how you can get your system for $2200.00. Where did you get your system?

#112518 - 12/03/03 07:25 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
Dnj Offline

I gotta hear this system!!!!

#112519 - 12/03/03 09:07 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
SBPC Offline

rhumba, I don't own the Bose system myself. My most recent post had comments from a fellow on the Ketron Forum who owns the system. I've written him an e-mail with a number of questions I have about the system, but haven't heard back as yet. Regarding the $2200 for the double bass module system, that's what the fellow posted. I don't know any more than that.

I agree that Bose tends to be firm on their pricing. It probably means that the Guitar Centers that will be marketing these systems will likely have to hold to the Bose prices as well.
Paul C.

#112520 - 12/03/03 09:18 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
SBPC Offline

rhumba,
In re-reading your questions and the fellow's comments, I think I can safely say that his system consists of ONE cylindrical radiator and TWO bass modules. The cylindrical speaker consists of a base and two cylindrical units that plug together with a bayonet connection of some sort to form one column that's about six feet tall, as I recall from the Bose website. For this configuration, the $2200 is about right.
Paul C.

#112521 - 12/03/03 10:32 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
KN_Fan Offline

How about trying them out from Guitar Center and return it before 30 days? (just kidding guys- but I did see one at GC last week- I wasn't too impressed, especially with the price).

My family used quite a few 802s before (about four pairs plus two subs) as part of our 'mini sets' for our sound system rental. Everybody liked it.

#112522 - 12/03/03 03:39 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I have seen the New Bose system at the local GC and the "Sale Price" for the system with ONE Sub is $1999.00. I did not have the opportunity to listen to it.

[This message has been edited by JCkeeys (edited 12-03-2003).]

#112523 - 12/03/03 04:20 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
Dnj Offline

It's on Page 55 keyboard mag DECEMBER

#112524 - 12/03/03 04:23 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:

- but I did see one at GC last week- I wasn't too impressed,

KN fan....why weren't you impressed ...did you play through it?

#112525 - 12/03/03 09:53 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
rhumba Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SBPC:
rhumba,
In re-reading your questions and the fellow's comments, I think I can safely say that his system consists of ONE cylindrical radiator and TWO bass modules. The cylindrical speaker consists of a base and two cylindrical units that plug together with a bayonet connection of some sort to form one column that's about six feet tall, as I recall from the Bose website. For this configuration, the $2200 is about right.
Paul C.

I get it now - so the left/right "speaker", one stack on top of the other. Correct?

#112526 - 12/04/03 07:21 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Anyone interested in learning more should try Bose's BBS for this unit. http://bose.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x

#112527 - 12/04/03 08:38 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
SBPC Offline

rhumba,
I suspect Bose breaks up the cylindrical (pole) speaker into three sections (base and two 3 ft. pole speaker sections) for ease of transport. And based on what that fellow wrote, Bose seem to have incorporated stereo into their system, since he spoke of plugging in the L and R outputs of his keyboard. Whether the upper and lower pole sections constitute left and right speakers is not clear to me. Maybe each of the two pole sections has a left and right portion. I have not read anything that clarifies that point.
Paul C.

#112528 - 12/04/03 09:06 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
SBPC Offline

cassp,
Thanks for posting the link to the Bose Musicians Community Message Board. There is some very interesting information there provided by Bose engineers. And by registering on that forum you have the opportunity to ask questions as well.

For someone interested in reading some general technical discussions on the use of mono vs. stereo for live performances, you'll find that there. For someone wanting to know where they might go to hear the new Bose system in use for live performances, that is published there as well.
Paul C.

#112529 - 12/04/03 11:01 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
KN_Fan Offline

Well- An upright acoustic bass was attached to it. I don't play bass, but the sound was not that impressive to me, but then again I'm not as sophisticated as some of you guys here. Plus you got all sorts of people playing in the background too

The speakers look nice, but the base for the speaker seemed to be too big and bulky. I think when you get to the couple thousand dollars range, you'll have quite a few other options to consider. But I can say again Lots of people overseas love Bose. We rented out the 802s complete with subwoofers for small band venues and stuff, everybody liked it. This was back in the early 90s.

just personal opinion

#112530 - 12/08/03 11:19 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
rhumba Offline

I just visited my local GC and they have one on display. They have a guitar plugged in on Ch.2 and a Sennheiser 835 plugged in on Ch. 1; The speaker looked real nice. But the base unit is, to me, too big. I think the rough diameter of the base unit is about 32 to 36 inches. GC has the setup with only one bass module. One person was doing a demo with the setup and he has the Sennheiser mic. spaced about 6 inches away, pointing directly at the cylindrical speaker while strumming away on the guitar. No feedback of any kind! That's about the only impressive thing I see.

Other than that, for $2,000.00, I think I will stick with my dual JBL EON G2 setup.

#112531 - 12/08/03 11:24 AM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
Dnj Offline

I'd love to know what an aranger KB sounds like thru one of these bose systems at full stage volume with vocals?

#112532 - 12/08/03 07:56 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
wvamouse Offline

Gents,
The sound cant compare to two webb 6-14esteel guitar amps. JBL 15's a truley wonderful sound at 280 watts each.

Wvamouse

www.webbamps.com

#112533 - 12/08/03 08:58 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wvamouse:
Gents,
The sound cant compare to two webb 6-14esteel guitar amps. JBL 15's a truley wonderful sound at 280 watts each.

Wvamouse

That may be so Wvamouse but have you actually listened to the Bose L1's in person? Or are you just "assuming" the Webb 6-14 are superior without having 'heard' the Bose L1's? Not having heard either the Bose L1's or the Webb 6-14 Amp, I cannot in any way shape or form compare the two. Neither could you if you've never listened to the L1's in action Wvamouse.

Btw, welcome to the Forum even though you're getting a little chastisement in the process of assimilation to the group by me.

PS: If you've listened to the Bose L1's in person then feel free to fire back at me, ie., (let me have it) by saying so. Then please tell us specifically the quality of sound difference between the two if you would be so kind.

Best regards,
Mike

#112534 - 12/09/03 05:08 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
wvamouse Offline

I have owned Bose before for the weight difference not a bad tradeoff but its hard to compete with pure guts of a webb 6 14 ask anyone also look for a used on on the internet also look at the special one on Webbs sight that is used at the Grand Ole Opry I'll stat with my webbs MIKIE

#112535 - 12/09/03 05:14 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
wvamouse Offline

Well Mike I miss quoted the watts 225 is advertised but am sure can get 280 with the 8000 driving. I have owned Bose before for the weight difference I would have to agree
not a bad trade off but I wouldnt trade the 6_14e for all the Bose nameplates in the world absoltly the best I ve ever heard. Good example try to find a used one on the internet. MIKIE

#112536 - 12/09/03 05:37 PM Re: New Amplification System from Bose
keybplayer Offline

MIKIE

The Bose L1's are suppose to be revolutionary as far as sound goes for Live performances so it would be best for you to compare first hand before being so adamant about the Webb 6-14's superiority. Also I too have owned Bose speakers. I currently own the Bose 901 Series II speaker. Of course there are better speakers available today but in its heyday the 901 earlier Series, ie., Series I & II from Bose were considered the Audiophiles choice for sonic quality. Albeit that cannot be said of later Series 901's or many of the other Bose Speaker products currently produced. But to give Bose the benefit of the doubt I will reserve judgement on the L1's until I have heard them in person. You should do the same MIKIE.

Best regards,
Mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online