SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112047 - 07/28/06 07:23 AM Terrific Discovery: Tyros2 sounds fine thru a SINGLE mono PA Speaker now !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I can hardly believe this myself, but I've now got my Tyros2 sounding really good (at least to my ears) going out Tyros2's single 1/4" L/L+R output jack to a single PA mono speaker.

When I owned a Yamaha PSR2000, and then a Tyros1, I had performed numerous listening tests to confirm that 'stereo phase cancellation' severely compromised stereo voices when mixed to mono on output. This resulted in a very unpleasant tinny harsh sound, especially with Yamaha's 'stereo sampled' Grand Piano voice. Until now, I had assumed Tyros2 would yield the same result , so never bothered to test it again when I upgraded to Tyros2.

The other day, I received a collection of new Tyros2 custom piano voices from a friend to check out, so on a fluke, decided to see how they would sound going out mono to a single PA speaker (EV SxA100). Though most of the custom piano voices sounded lackluster, a couple of them sounded quite impressive (albeit mono), with full presence and body. I then selected the Tyros2 preset stereo sampled "Grand Piano" voice directly from the T2's Piano Voice Bank button. Though not as impressive as the new custom voice I had previously auditioned, it still sounded fairly decent, but dry (lacking reverb efx). Once I spiced it up with reverb, chorus, and a little DSP (Plate1) even the stereo sample "Grand Piano" sounds pleasant going out mono. Interestingly enough, I remember performing this SAME test on my PSR2000's & Tyros1's "Grand Piano" voice, but only got bad results. I'm convinced now that Yamaha may have now (on Tyros2) modified it's stereo sampled effects circuitry to perhaps eliminate (or reduce) the effects of phase cancellation when going out mono. Though I continue to appreciate going out stereo, especially for larger venues which benefit from the wider disperation of sound 2 speakers provide, for small to mid-sized rooms where 1 speaker will suffice, the big advantage of quicker transport and setup time is appreciated, with the audience continuing to hear an impressive sound without the stereo to mono problems I once experienced.

On top of this, my one only obstacle I had with going to a Bose PAS (except for coming up with the cash to buy one) has now been eliminated, so when I upgrade my PA system, I'm definitely going to seriously consider the Bose PAS system now. For now though, my ol EV SxA100 PA system (with option of utilizing one or two speakers) continues to do the job. In addition, with the option of my ultra portable lightweight Yamaha TRS-MS02 subwoofer with Bose 161's which snap mount atop the Tyros2 alone for the smallest venues, and/or in conjunction with one or both of my EV Sxa100 speakers, I've now got all my gig venue options covered for now.

Ok gang. Anyone interested in purchasing my Motion Sound KB100S ? Make an offer. All half way reasonable offers accepted.

Scott

#112048 - 07/28/06 08:34 AM Re: Terrific Discovery: Tyros2 sounds fine thru a SINGLE mono PA Speaker now !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I told you so. I'm always right. And I'm very humble about it.

DonM

#112049 - 07/28/06 08:43 AM Re: Terrific Discovery: Tyros2 sounds fine thru a SINGLE mono PA Speaker now !
Scottyee Offline

and I love you for that. - Scott

#112050 - 07/28/06 09:01 AM Re: Terrific Discovery: Tyros2 sounds fine thru a SINGLE mono PA Speaker now !
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Scott

Interesting find. I am wondering if any of these piano sample can be made available so we could test it out with our speaker systems.

Awhile back I experimented a bit with this on the T2 and found a few sounds that seemed rather good and then I tucked them away.

I wonder if Simon from SVP or someone like that would consider having a spot where people could upload this stuff. I'd make mine available.

Best
Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

#112051 - 07/28/06 09:04 AM Re: Terrific Discovery: Tyros2 sounds fine thru a SINGLE mono PA Speaker now !
Scott Langholff Offline

I didn't notice if you A/B'd those mono samples used both with one speaker and then with both speakers and what you experienced.

#112052 - 07/28/06 09:06 AM Re: Terrific Discovery: Tyros2 sounds fine thru a SINGLE mono PA Speaker now !
Scott Langholff Offline

DonM

Curious now, did you need to tweak your piano to sound good on the Bose?

#112053 - 07/28/06 09:25 AM Re: Terrific Discovery: Tyros2 sounds fine thru a SINGLE mono PA Speaker now !
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Scott nice going there. I'm sure many on SZ will appreciate your findings, especially if you can still get a good sound from the T2 going into 1 speaker. Hope one of the piano sounds was that Triton emulation lol

#112054 - 07/28/06 07:20 PM Re: Terrific Discovery: Tyros2 sounds fine thru a SINGLE mono PA Speaker now !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
DonM

Curious now, did you need to tweak your piano to sound good on the Bose?

I haven't tweaked anything and the T2 sounds great through the Bose. HankB and I set up the Bose and two Barbettas side-by-side and switched back and forth between the two systems, trying pianos, organs, guitars, etc.
The Bose sounded far better. Case closed for me.
I'm not saying the edited sounds won't sound even better though, and I intend to try them when I get time.
DonM

#112055 - 07/30/06 07:17 AM Re: Terrific Discovery: Tyros2 sounds fine thru a SINGLE mono PA Speaker now !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
Hope one of the piano sounds was that Triton emulation lol

I actually used your custom voice: "DRY GRAND" and simply added Reverb (Hall2: 40), Chorus (Chorus6: 6), and DSP (Plate1:40), and resaved the voice: "Scott's Grand".

I played a small neighborhood block party yesterday thru only one EV (SxA100+) speaker, & the crowd commented how terrific the music sounded. Plenty of acoustic piano punch, rich presence & full volume. My long time beef about Yamaha keyboards & stereo phase cancellation has finally been resolved with Tyros2. I appreciate my Tyros2 more than ever now because I now have IMPRESSIVE sounding: stereo & mono output options.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
I didn't notice if you A/B'd those mono samples used both with one speaker and then with both speakers and what you experienced.

Hi ScottL: I'll send you my custom voice (Scott's Grand) and you can try it out yourself on your T2.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 07-30-2006).]

#112056 - 07/30/06 07:35 AM Re: Terrific Discovery: Tyros2 sounds fine thru a SINGLE mono PA Speaker now !
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Very good new indeed Scott. As I generaly try and keep it as simple (and lightweight) as possible when I take on a music job, this comes as great news. I dont like taking more equipment than I have to. I have always been a little disappointed when going mono. I look forward to trying the Tyros 2 in a mono application.

Regards,

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online